• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most dangerous time since the Civil War
(01-07-2018, 09:40 PM)Galen Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
Quote:Congratulations on your son doing real work and earning real money,
rather than just sitting through classes about white privilege, or
relaxing in safe spaces where you get the crap beaten out of you if
you say anything nice about America.

Yeah, he went through the light version of that in child prison--er I mean--high school.  It never appealed to him.  Like me he gets more out of reading for himself and making up his own mind than sitting in a room somewhere being told what to think by some guy who probably hasn't even been in the real world.

My husband, who is a teacher, often jokes that those who know do, those who don't know teach.  But then again he has a fairly low opinion of his colleagues.
The public school system seems more like government sponsored youth internment camps to me.  Clearly, teaching kids anything useful is not the purpose.
[/quote]

Criticize the public schools all that you want, but you do not want a collection of minors lacking competent adults to keep them from doing stupid and destructive things.

There's a great range of talent among teachers. The bad ones operate with either extreme permissiveness or rigid discipline, or (worse!) alternate between one or the other (See very bad parents).. The really-good ones could do something other than teach. I do not mean cashiering in a retail store.

What is the alternative? Sending kids to work in farms, factories, and mines as they used to?

Life is complex 3enough thqat the old standby of a 'solid eighth-grade education' is now far from adequate.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The most dangerous time since the Civil War - by pbrower2a - 01-08-2018, 02:17 PM