Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most dangerous time since the Civil War
(01-09-2018, 09:37 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 05:54 AM)Galen Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 02:17 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Criticize the public schools all that you want, but you do not want a collection of minors lacking competent adults to keep them from doing stupid and destructive things.

That has happened before, you call them Generation X and the nominal adults were the Baby Boom Generation.  So far the Boomers in general still aren't competent. Big Grin

I would argue that Boomers by and large aren't adults either.

Unfortunately true, but why?  Many cite 1968 as the reason, and it certainly marked a huge social revolution, but so what?  I'll pick two things, and you can rebut to your hearts content:
  1. First, the (so named) Greatest Generation decided to insolate their children from potential harm, leaving the emerging Boomers naïve.  As an early Boomer, I figured that out for myself, though others have yet to get the message.  As a group, we still excelled, but not due to gravitas.  Mostly, we were at the right place at the right time (at least older Boomers were).
  2. Second, the oil crisis and the following economic meltdown we called stagflation refocused everyone on basic survival.  It's also the time when the basic social contract was broken for good.  Money flowed to the owners, and the workers stagnated.  That hasn't changed.  So the Yuppies floated up, the working class focused on just living day to day, and the process of enlightening and mentoring the next generation simply evaporated.  After Reagan declared that the "the government isn't the solution, it's the problem", the die was cast.
So there it is: the schism.  After that, everything turned into a culture issue, because economics was now fixed and final.  When that changes, a lot of the other problems will diminish or simply disappear, until the next 2T.  If it remains in place, the next 2T will be chaos.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The most dangerous time since the Civil War - by David Horn - 01-09-2018, 10:54 AM