Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most dangerous time since the Civil War
(01-10-2018, 04:11 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: 1. Generation X did go to school.

Yes, as has every generation since the GIs. Irrelevant to his point.

Quote:2. The schools had rules. Teaching was to rigid a career to satisfy the peace-love-dope types.

Only partially true. A surprisingly large number of my teachers were former hippies--which probably goes a long way to explain my hatred of hippies.

Quote:  Besides, GIs were teaching K-12 as late as 1990, and by 1990, Generation X had started teaching.

GIs were teaching later than that. My Junior year of High School was 1995-1996. My English Teacher that year, whose name is unimportant, was a 1920 cohort. Though she retired at the end of the year. I must admit that she reluctantly admitted that she preferred my generation in comparison to the previous one as we by that time had largely repudiated the so-called counter-culture.

Quote:Of course many Boomers did extend their childhoods into the time in which they should have abandoned such a role (when having children).

Or their 60s when they thankfully do not have children.

Quote:Teenage parents have been infamously incompetent in parental roles, and adults maintaining teenage behavior into their late 20s  could be similarly awful. As any teacher knows, someone must take the adult role in a classroom, and that is part of the informal but implicit job description.

True but this does not address the reasons why Boomers as a general rule are exceptionally incompetent in parental roles. I don't think anyone in their right mind can lay the blame for this at the GIs--though I'm sure there are many Boomers here who will try.

Quote:3. There were Boomers who acted 40 when they were teenagers.

So fucking what. There are always outliers to the main body of the group. In the main Boomers act and have acted like they were teenagers far longer than is normally acceptable. Case in point, I often act older than my own mother. She may have 23 years on me, but she still acts far more childlike than I did when I was a child. But that could be that old "Old Soul" acting up. Still not sure if there is any validity to that or if the person who told me that was making shit up on the fly. I lean toward the latter though.

Quote:Most Boomers took on adult roles when economic reality kicked in... if they wanted to keep participating in the consumer society or when parental support for their Voyages to the Interior came to an end.

This is true only of the working classes and the petty-bourgeoisie. The Boomer bourgeoisie still goes on "voyages to the interior" from time to time, and do so when the time for that is long past. Those like Eric the Ignoramus never returned from their voyage, I'm afraid.

Quote:Boomers who have endured economic hardship have been compelled to mature, even if the maturing process began with "Do you want fries with that?"

There are worse things to do with one's life than working at a fast food establishment. For example one could whine about their parents until the day they died and then grasp at the next convenient excuse for personal failure that came along.

Quote:But the elite Boomers of wealth and bureaucratic power, few of whom had an extended stay in the Voyage to the Interior, have been extremely competent at keeping competition from others at bay while bleeeding society of resources that they use for their extreme indulgence.

By and large Boomers with wealth have wealth because they didn't spend extended times on their voyages into the interior. They spent those years instead making money--which is a noble pursuit (even if I do sometimes wish those boomers would buy their hair dye and skin bronze-er at some place other than dollar general--but lately it seems that that boomer has fired his old makeup person, thank whatever gods that might exist). Those with bureaucratic power sought elected offices over voyages into the interior. Both are at the extreme end of competency for the generation. Most boomers are not nearly that competent.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The most dangerous time since the Civil War - by Kinser79 - 01-11-2018, 04:12 AM