Poll: What do you think of what Colin Kaepernick did?
This poll is closed.
He has the right to redress what he feels is a legitimate grievance
60.00%
9 60.00%
It is unpatriotic - and unacceptable
6.67%
1 6.67%
It's not "political" at all; he actually did it to get cut or traded because he'd rather play for some other team
20.00%
3 20.00%
Who the hell is Colin Kaepernick?
13.33%
2 13.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kaepernick & The National Anthem
(08-29-2016, 11:43 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 11:29 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 10:16 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I guess because you're supposed to salute the flag and all that when you sing it at a game? I haven't been to a game like that since I was a kid, and I don't remember everyone doing that. Maybe we did, I don't remember. Back then, maybe I did. I know we stood and pledged allegiance to the flag every morning in school. When I became a substitute teacher, I think I did that once. I'm not sure.

No, I don't think what binds us is a symbol. What is American is defending the rights of all Americans. It's not the symbol that counts; it's the reality that it stands for-- which is those rights. How can you honor the progress we have made, by opposing all progress today, which is what the Republicans do? The flag stands for the right not to salute it, to spit on it or burn it if that's what an American wants to do. That's free speech; even Justice Scalia agreed with this. No, Martin Luther King Jr. was right, and you're not, Mr. Classic Xer.
Do criminals have rights to be criminals? Do criminals have the right to gun down people in public parks? Do blacks have a right to attack a cop and resist arrest or to steal stuff without concern about the cops?
NO, they certainly don't.

Quote: As I told you, the flag means more than just a symbol. Anyone who doesn't get it hasn't been an American for very long or simply doesn't care for America very much or is clueless. The flag represents all that is associated with America and its advancement as a nation. You have the right to purchase a flag and burn it if you choose to do so and view it as your right of expression. I don't have a problem with any of that anymore than I have a problem with people burning his jersey before the next home game. You are free to make a fool of yourself and damage your own image as much as you want.

I don't plan to, but I don't see any reason for fuss because Colin doesn't want to stand or even salute the flag at a ballgame. I will be impressed with peoples' defense of the flag when I see those same people support what the flag represents. They don't. They stand for regression on voting rights and many other rights, and are against the state helping those who need a helping hand, as we all might need someday, and for state investment in what capitalism refuses to invest in. They stand for destroying the land and environment on which the country stands.

Quote: Ain't much progress today as far as the left is concerned. The left is still stuck on burning flags, still labeling soldiers as murderers, still chanting the same old anti-American memes, the same old anti-Republican bullshit and still supporting the same old control freaks. Would we be talking through our computers over the internet without Ronald Reagan?

Ronald Reagan had next to nothing to do with computers. They were developed back in the time when the government was not seen as the problem, but invested in enterprises that capitalists would never do, because it doesn't yield a quick return. Like the space program, without which we wouldn't be typing away at each other like this.
Would you own a computer without supply side economics (the increase in capital means to invest and mass produce individual computers and the economic growth or increase in wages and investments, revenues and capital of all types including the amount of financing (lower interest rates) available in the market to purchase one for yourself). My first computer was purchased for business during the early 90's. I purchased four more later for the cost of two earlier. Today, I have business computers and personal computers that were all obtained during voodoo economics without a college degree. Dude, you have no argument that works against me or argument that can be effectively used with me. You're not alone, Bob has run into the same issue with me. I'm still trying to pin down Bob's blue values and whether they are Democratic values or blue hippie values that he views as still being attached to the Democratic party.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colin Kaepernick & The National Anthem - by Classic-Xer - 08-30-2016, 12:19 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Pandemic Adviser Calls for Four to Six Week National Lockdown HealthyDebate 64 15,790 04-01-2021, 02:38 AM
Last Post: poetplan
  Congress’ spending binge is national suicide girlmonday 7 2,115 03-06-2021, 02:09 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  National debt nears $28T as Biden prepares new spending initiatives random3 0 540 01-26-2021, 08:16 PM
Last Post: random3
  Local vs national response to the pandemic sbarrera 2 1,161 03-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  National Liberalism: It's Still Very Much Alive Anthony '58 10 3,220 11-27-2019, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  The amazing disgrace of our $20T national debt nebraska 0 1,072 01-19-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  National Debt Tops $20 Trillion For The First Time In History nebraska 0 1,088 12-26-2017, 12:17 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  2016: The National "Cry For Help" Bad Dog 37 26,964 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54