Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They finally like Gen X !!!
I don't own a business but I do manage one, and fortunately my boss gives me the liberty to run the store the way I see fit. Of course it helps that my store is also the most profitable store, has the highest turnover in food and the employees are pleased cause we manage to get the highest tips too. (In that way I miss being hourly.)

By and large if given the choice to hire someone who is a Millie or an Xer I always choose the Xer. Why? Because with few exceptions they come in, they do their job, they don't complain too much, aren't covered in tattoos (a lot of our customers are older people and they look down on that sort of thing) and leave their bullshit drama at the door. In short I hire them because they have aged to the point that I don't have to worry too much about childish nonsense.

When it comes to donut finishers and bakers my crew is entirely Xer except for our weekend lady who is a Silent (but she's worked for Dunkin since God was a boy) because I don't have to actually design managers specials for them, they understand that the point is to use up whatever filling or frosting has been discontinued first, and then whatever other ring donuts we still have batter for or JBODs for but have been discontinued first, then a standard list of fillings that change each day. In short this means I don't have to micromanage the finishing/baking and they can be trusted particularly on overnights to round off the production quota to the nearest dozen. As for my Silent, I let her do as she pleases since she doesn't listen to me anyway.

When I've had Millies doing this job they literally have to stood over and directly managed during the day, and on overnights I would receive about half a dozen calls before the bagels would have been baked. Worse it seemed to me like they required praise for actually doing their job. If possible I try to limit them to the window and to the front counter.

As for boomers? I'm don't hire them. Of course it isn't like they're beating down the door for me to anyway--those with jobs already have decent jobs or jobs wherein they have locked in retirement packages (we don't offer that) and those who don't are largely already on retirement. I would hire them for front counter or the window though--not for finishing/baking though (well maybe a male boomer...that job requires upper body strength) unless they are only looking for a part time day position. I simply don't trust Boomers to work unsupervised based on my experiences with them when I was much younger.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Messages In This Thread
They finally like Gen X !!! - by Danilynn - 05-09-2016, 07:46 PM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Galen - 05-09-2016, 08:13 PM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by pbrower2a - 05-09-2016, 10:51 PM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Kinser79 - 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by disasterzone - 07-19-2016, 10:32 AM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Kinser79 - 07-24-2016, 08:47 AM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Odin - 07-24-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Warren Dew - 09-08-2016, 04:00 AM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Einzige - 09-09-2016, 02:15 AM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by GenX420 - 11-20-2016, 12:47 AM
RE: They finally like Gen X !!! - by Kinser79 - 11-21-2016, 12:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The most Gen X Xer Ever: David Goggins Snowflake1996 5 5,336 01-03-2020, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Classic-Xer
  Gen-X in MidLife - Are We Really On the Sidelines? sbarrera 12 11,148 03-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund