Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A study on Fake News
This source has an assessment of Sinclair Media Holdings, which owns a huge number of TV stations.  As cable companies increasingly take away duplicate ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX broadcasters, one might find it more difficult to find a source of local news on television that isn't contaminated with bias.

[Image: right071.png?w=600&ssl=1]

[Image: MBFCMixed.png?w=355&ssl=1]

RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• Overall, we rate Sinclair Broadcast Group Right Biased based on political affiliation with the Republican Party and the direction of network news programming. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to airing news shows with poor fact check records.
  • Detailed Report

Factual Reporting: MIXED
    World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

History
    Founded in 1971, the Sinclair Broadcast Group is a publicly-traded American telecommunications company that is controlled by the family of company founder Julian Sinclair Smith. The company is the largest television station operator in the United States by number of stations, and largest by total coverage; owning or operating a total of 193 stations across the country in over 100 markets (covering 40% of American households), many of which are located in the South and Midwest.
    Read our profile on United States government and media.

• [i][b]Analysis / Bias
    [/b]
    [/i]

Sinclair has been scrutinized by multiple media outlets for consistently favoring conservative politics. They are considered a rival to right biased Fox News for the conservative audience. The Seattle Times has written a piece documenting Sinclair’s right-wing bias.

In March 2018, Sinclair ordered its stations to produce promos with an “anchor-delivered journalistic responsibility message” dictated by the company. A sample of the mandated script is below:

Hi, I’m(A) ____________, and I’m (B) _________________…
    [i](B) Our greatest responsibility is to serve our Northwest communities. We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that KOMO News produces.[/i]

Home » Bias Report » Daily Source Bias Check: Sinclair Broadcast Group

Daily Source Bias Check: Sinclair Broadcast Group

Posted by Media Bias Fact Check

Share:
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmailTumblrRedditLinkedInFlipboardGoogle BookmarksShare
[Image: right071.png?resize=600%2C67&ssl=1][Image: MBFCMixed.png?resize=355%2C131&ssl=1]

RIGHT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• Overall, we rate Sinclair Broadcast Group Right Biased based on political affiliation with the Republican Party and the direction of network news programming. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to airing news shows with poor fact check records.

Detailed Report
Factual Reporting: [b]MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
[i]History

Founded in 1971, the Sinclair Broadcast Group is a publicly-traded American telecommunications company that is controlled by the family of company founder Julian Sinclair Smith. The company is the largest television station operator in the United States by number of stations, and largest by total coverage; owning or operating a total of 193 stations across the country in over 100 markets (covering 40% of American households), many of which are located in the South and Midwest.
Read our profile on United States government and media.

Funded by / Ownership
According to the Center for Responsive Politics (Open Secrets), the Sinclair Broadcast Group has donated $1,143,508 or 80% to Republican candidates since 1994.
Analysis / Bias
Sinclair has been scrutinized by multiple media outlets for consistently favoring conservative politics. They are considered a rival to right biased Fox News for the conservative audience. The Seattle Times has written a piece documenting Sinclair’s right-wing bias.
In March 2018, Sinclair ordered its stations to produce promos with an “anchor-delivered journalistic responsibility message” dictated by the company. A sample of the mandated script is below:
Hi, I’m(A) ____________, and I’m (B) _________________…
(B) Our greatest responsibility is to serve our Northwest communities. We are extremely proud of the quality, balanced journalism that KOMO News produces.

(A) But we’re concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country. The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media.
(B) More alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories… stories that just aren’t true, without checking facts first.
(A) Unfortunately, some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control ‘exactly what people think’…This is extremely dangerous to a democracy.
(B) At KOMO it’s our responsibility to pursue and report the truth. We understand Truth is neither politically ‘left nor right.’ Our commitment to factual reporting is the foundation of our credibility, now more than ever.
(A) But we are human and sometimes our reporting might fall short. If you believe our coverage is unfair please reach out to us by going to KOMOnews.com and clicking on CONTENT CONCERNS. We value your comments. We will respond back to you.
(B) We work very hard to seek the truth and strive to be fair, balanced and factual… We consider it our honor, our privilege to responsibly deliver the news every day.
(A) Thank you for watching and we appreciate your feedback.
[/i][/b]

[i]The wording of the mandated script was criticized by some station news staff and outside pundits for its discussion of “fake news” with some critics arguing that the message used similar language and rhetoric to that of Donald Trump. Trump responded to the promos on April 2, 2018, defending the company as being “far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.”
[/i]

[i]In 2020, Sinclair delayed an interview with conspiracy theorist and anti-vaccination activist Dr. Judy Mikovits who promotes misinformation and false information regarding Covid-19. In the interview, she claims that Dr. Fauci created Covid-19, which is patently false.
[/i]

[i]Overall, we rate Sinclair Broadcast Group Right Biased based on political affiliation with the Republican Party and the direction of network news programming. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to airing news shows with poor fact check records. (D. Van Zandt 4/2/2018) Updated (7/26/2020)

Source: http://sbgi.net/
[/i]

[/url][url=https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/2020/08/28/daily-source-bias-check-sinclair-broadcast-group/]https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/2020/08/28/daily-source-bias-check-sinclair-broadcast-group/

(Comment: any news source that can be described as "mixed" or worse is either incompetent, corrupt or bot -- and not worthy of public trust).
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 03-10-2018, 02:39 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 04-02-2018, 07:54 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 04-03-2018, 02:05 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 12-15-2021, 02:58 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by David Horn - 04-04-2018, 10:28 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 04-04-2018, 12:39 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 07-10-2018, 10:32 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by David Horn - 08-13-2018, 01:45 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 08-13-2018, 02:23 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 05-10-2019, 01:37 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 08-29-2020, 12:57 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 08-29-2020, 02:06 AM
RE: A study on Fake News - by Eric the Green - 12-15-2021, 04:27 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by David Horn - 12-16-2021, 12:25 PM
RE: A study on Fake News - by pbrower2a - 12-15-2021, 03:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy Real and Fake Passports, ID Cards, Driving Licenses, SSN, Birth Certificates, Dea dominicadomi 0 69 02-22-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: dominicadomi
  Sad News Reveling In The Drama TheNomad 10 2,952 03-22-2020, 02:30 PM
Last Post: TheNomad
  Fox News Castigated Over Virus Depiction TheNomad 8 2,493 03-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Trump Threatens to Challenge Broadcast Licenses Over 'Fake News' nebraska 29 10,625 01-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Federal workers earn on average 50 percent more than private workforce, study shows nebraska 0 1,104 01-12-2018, 02:35 AM
  $15 minimum wage to cost California 400K jobs: Study nebraska 0 1,371 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM
  Study: Political Polarization is Mainly a Right-Wing Phenomenon Odin 0 1,482 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Odin
  There Are More White Voters Than People Think. That’s Good News for Trump. Dan '82 16 15,637 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Study: What Kind of Voter Is Most Susceptible When Pols Pile It High and Deep? Odin 26 18,349 05-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Kinser79