Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What belongs exclusively to the current Fourth Turning?
I can't find the original post on the other site.

Off hand, I think the housing bubble and derivatives trading based on it was the chief trait of this 4T, and regulation meant to prevent this bubble from bursting again is being watered down, so the bubble that still exists could burst again.

I disagree that the Tea Party movement and political polarization are unique to this 4T; they go back to the 2T, and the tea party and Goldwater campaign are virtually identical and composed of some of the same people, especially since tea party types are silents and boomers for the most part. The same people staffed the Reagan and moral majority counter-revolutions of circa 1980, the Gingrich counter-revolution in Nov.1994, and the culture war election of 2004. The same ideology, moneyed interests and prejudices are behind all of these movements. What is true is that the polarization and the extremism on the right is getting worse, and so far, more powerful.

What is the clearest trait about this 4T is the global refugee crisis. It is affecting virtually every country including the USA, and was sparked by climate collapses and the Arab Spring revolutions linked to it. Those revolutions, which happened worldwide within about 4 years, and their violent aftermath, is another trait of this 4T. The Occupy movements were a rather pathetic example of the Arab Spring movements, and was directly linked to them.

The climate crisis has existed since about 1988, but it is ramping up and it will be in this 4T that the decisions will be made and are being made that will determine the fate of the planet's sustainability for civilization and many species for centuries or millennia to come.

The social media and smart phone changes are certainly characteristic of this 4T, and it has opened media to more voices and artists, helped mobilize social and political movements and increased alienation from life, disinformation, and fake news campaigns.

Another trait is the shake-up in the Catholic Church, consisting of the scandals surrounding Pope Benedict and the reign of Pope Francis. How far it will go is still undetermined.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: What belongs exclusively to the current Fourth Turning? - by Eric the Green - 07-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theater Production about the Fourth Turning sbarrera 10 5,653 11-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  Is The Current American Border Dispute A Catalyst Event? TheNomad 31 15,631 07-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TheNomad