Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia
Regarding my fellow Aussies born in the early to middle 1980s, as I have said earlier are dominated by Nomads. While my experience growing up was rather stereotypical for a Nomad. However even those who grew up in a quite stable, happy families, we were raised in the same under protected way that myself and my sister (1985) were raised as.

Also, our behaviors ever since adolescence has been one of associating in cliques (even as we enter middle age), having a cynical outlook on life, being incredibly politically apathetic, very hedonistic, along with focusing very much on our careers and raising families. Not to mention our cohorts have been heavily criticized ever since we were young, I know myself and my sister have long been heavily criticized It is only the fact I can pass off, as someone born in the middle 1990s and late 1980s at the most. In that, I am no longer heavily criticized by people outside my family, as I was when I was younger.

Overall, I am rather atypical for my cohorts, in being left out of the cliques in adolescence and being interested in political activism (although I became disillusioned from the middle 1990s until very recently). Although, I have to say I have met some of my cohorts, who are engaged politically including online. What I notice about them is the following; firstly; they are extremely emotional about the causes they believe in, secondly, they have a ‘take no prisoners’ approach to their political views and activism and lastly, they can have authoritarian tendencies in wanting to impose authoritarianism (sometimes of the mind-numbing sort) to achieve their political aims. All up the general attitude I would describe is one of 'taking everything to the extreme' one. While Those political activists born in the 1990s and 2000s are much more rationalistic rather than emotional, also they speak considerably more "softly", which is something I admire.

Anyway, this is a bit of a rant, I posted on a Facebook group about Aussies born in the early to middle 1980s, I might add including politicians not just ordinary people in our society. Also, I am comparing my cohorts to those who were born in the 1990s and 2000s.

Although, I have to say I have met plenty of my cohorts, who are engaged politically. What I notice about them is the following; firstly; they are extremely passionate about the causes they believe in, secondly, they have a ‘take no prisoners’ approach to their political views and activism and lastly, they can have authoritarian tendencies in wanting to impose authoritarianism (sometimes of the mind-numbing sort) to achieve their political aims. Overall the attitude I would describe is one of 'taking everything to the extreme' one.

Quote:I have to say I am disappointed with many of my cohorts (the early to middle 1980s). Particularly they don't care about the pressing issues facing this country, unless it directly affects them, their families or friends. I am a minority among my peers for giving a damn about these issues. For about maybe 15 years now, I have been very disillusioned with political activism. This is because of the sheer apathy of peers, who are late wave members of a Nomad generation.
Besides, I have much more harsher words for some of my peers, who engage in frequently Xenophobic nationalist rhetoric and actions. We are supposed to be those who are supposed to be mentors and leaders (which I feel is my destiny) for the Civic generation, however many of us are setting a bad example.

However, in recent years, my hope has been restored, because our core civics, those born in the 1990s and 2000's have come of age and they do give a damn about these issues. Also, they are willing to mass mobilize in trying to bring about change.

To give some examples, my cohorts don't care about issues, such as changing the date of Australia Day or changing our flag, along with national anthem, which are symbols of White Supremacism, along with the celebrating the violent dispossession of the First Nations of this country. However, many 1990's and 2000's cohorts do, which is heartening.

This is all evidence of both European and Australian Millennial's, only in the last year or two, have finally expressed their generational voice. American Millennial's, on the other hand, expressed their political voice back in the early 2010s.

What I am describing of Aussies born in the early to middle 1980s and to a lesser extent those born in the late 1980s. Are the same observations have been made by myself and others (including William Strauss and Neil Howe) of contemporaries of Early Wave US Millennial's, particularly in Europe, however also in China, India, and South America. Given that in these region's that the last Awakening did not begin until the late 1960s and finished around 1989-90. Therefore; these observations are not surprising at the least.

Messages In This Thread
Australia - by Teejay - 09-02-2018, 05:10 AM
RE: Australia - by David Horn - 09-02-2018, 07:49 PM
RE: Australia - by Teejay - 09-02-2018, 08:14 PM
RE: Australia - by David Horn - 09-03-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Australia - by Eric the Green - 09-04-2018, 12:07 AM
RE: Australia - by Teejay - 09-04-2018, 06:28 AM
RE: Australia - by Teejay - 09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
RE: Australia - by Tim Randal Walker - 09-05-2018, 04:14 PM
RE: Australia - by Teejay - 09-05-2018, 05:35 PM
RE: Australia - by David Horn - 09-07-2018, 07:42 AM
RE: Australia - by Teejay - 11-14-2019, 12:17 AM