Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential "Skipping" of Silents/Gen X
Obama is X. I don't know how to interpret him. Maybe he is a prime example of a mature Reactive resembling 60-something Reactive adults of the past even if he has yet to reach 60. Maybe he is the only sort of Reactive leader that we like. I think of the worst sort of Reactive possible, the fascists and Stalinist lackeys of the 4T and early 1T who acted with a cynical ruthlessness. Or could it be that Obama has tried to meld the masculinity of Idealist types (for Obama, that would be Boomers) and Civic types (GI or Millennial) into some mixture that he hopes might work, as did the Silent?

Obama looks like an above-average President, and I would not be surprised to see his style replayed in a 60-something X figure during the next 1T.

In any event I see Donald Trump as a failure as a President, and the only remaining question is how catastrophic he will be. If you thought Herbert Hoover ill-suited to meeting the economic meltdown of 1929-1932, then wait till you see Trump should the economy tank. Foreign policy? With a President who alternates between appeasement and warmongering, two of the most dangerous tendencies in foreign policy, we Americans need some luck.

The people most likely to be shut out of the succession to the Presidency look like late-wave Boomers. We are likely to see a full twenty years of Presidents born just after World War II, time in which someone born in the 1950s has had little real chance of becoming President. Maybe Boomers who have gotten the raw end of exploitation by the Boomer elite have a stronger idealism -- and more realism. I contrast the Missionaries, whose birth years among their Presidents were 1865, 1872, 1874, and 1882. Boomers holding the Presidency were born in 1946, 1946, and 1946. There is little room left for a President born in the early 1950s and the late 1950s. Should Trump get re-elected I am not even sure that we will have a Presidency, let alone an America, following him.

Hysteria? I see him as the worst possible leader we could have.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Presidential "Skipping" of Silents/Gen X - by pbrower2a - 03-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Presidential Election Predictive Cycle jleagans 1 1,697 08-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  Presidential Archetypes ResidentArtist 10 6,558 12-29-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Generations and presidential campaigns Dan '82 10 9,196 11-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  This may be the last presidential election dominated by Boomers and prior generations Dan '82 2 3,533 09-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew