Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those people in the upper midwest
(11-15-2016, 05:05 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: In the case of Macomb County I suspect a confluence of various factors.

First thing is, Macomb was a prime destination for white flight from south of 8 Mile (yep, that famous road, same one the movie is about). It was especially a destination for Polish, Italian and Irish whites, many of whom are affiliated with the Big 3 Auto makers. Beyond that, were alll sorts of people working for suppliers - both parts suppliers as well as tool and die services, etc.

While the industry is not gone, it's been hurt. There are many underemployed, even if unemployment is not horrendous. Lots of pressure on pensions and general pay rates. This is especially true of Boomers and Xers who are kids of auto workers and who were groomed to follow in Dad's footsteps.

Now, add to all of this ... demographic changes. Whites are not the only ones who have been fleeing Detroit proper. There have also been Hmong, Chaldeans, Mexicans, Vietnamese, Bangladeshis ... you get the idea. Their once completely white suburbs are browning. The old biscuits and gravy place was replaced by a pho house (shout out the EtG ... you've witnessed a lot of this down in the South Bay, no?).

Interesting, thanks. Are you from Macomb County?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Eric the Green - 11-16-2016, 01:07 AM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  most Americans think too many people are easily offended Dan '82 20 26,007 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Danilynn