Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those people in the upper midwest
(11-16-2016, 01:48 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: Higher population of course increases the overall size of the economy, benefiting the economic and political elites.  The Warren Buffetts and George Soroses of the world make out like bandits.

However, as far as average welfare is concerned, that increase in size does the individuals no good when it's spread out over an equal or greater increase in the number of people.  Wages stagnate or decline.

Now you know why the billionaires are supporting open borders Democrats, while the actual working class has voted Trump and the Republicans in.

That makes no sense. Most of the immigrants are not like Warren Buffet or George Soros or even the Koch Brothers. They are farm workers and repairmen and yard keepers. Some brought in by rich companies are high tech engineers, like here in Silicon Valley. But you libertarians and supply-siders keep ignoring the demand side. These people buy products that keep people working. That's what "spreads out." The economic elites benefit from growth because of the way the Republicans and their own CEOs structure taxes and wages to benefit themselves. Trump's policies are likely to bring economic growth to a screeching halt, and if Dodd-Frank is repealed or weakened we will have another crash in short order. And as mikebert as pointed out, the cushion of monetary policy is used up; there's nothing that can be done under Republican rule to break the fall or help the victims.

Democrats are not the ones who favor free trade; it's a bi-partisan error, but it's a trickle-down economics program. It's laissez faire: less government interference in the economy. So there's more support for free trade among Republicans than among Democrats. But, Trump persuaded them otherwise, and thus we the people lost the Senate to the billionaires, who now control it.

Since your logic on immigration is incorrect, no, now I don't know why "billionaires are supporting open borders Democrats, while the actual working class has voted Trump and the Republicans in." Blaming immigrants is just racist or xenophobic baloney. Yes, I know why it appeals to under-educated fools who refuse to use what intelligence that they have.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Eric the Green - 11-16-2016, 03:57 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  most Americans think too many people are easily offended Dan '82 20 26,003 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Danilynn