Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those people in the upper midwest
(11-16-2016, 05:32 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
Quote:Quote:
… "Hillary Clinton, by contrast, epitomizes the dorky arrogance and smugness of the professional elite. The dorkiness: the pantsuits. The arrogance: the email server. The smugness: the basket of deplorables. Worse, her mere presence rubs it in that even women from her class can treat working-class men with disrespect. Look at how she condescends to Trump as unfit to hold the office of the presidency and dismisses his supporters as racist, sexist, homophobic, or xenophobic.”…

Quite ludicrous, on the whole. It's too bad heartland voters judge candidates on mere appearances, like pantsuits. It's smug to wear pantsuits? Or dorky? This is evidence that Trump voters decided on the basis of style, not substance. Americans often do. But this takes the cake; they chose a reality-TV con man.

The "arrogance?" the email server? So, judge someone arrogant because you fall for a whole bunch of dumb propaganda about a minor issue, when the arrogance displayed by Trump and Republicans is off the charts. No, Seth Myers got it right. Duh.

Telling the truth that a billionaire is unfit for the presidency because of behavior exhibited by him personally, is treating working-class men with disrespect? No, if this is "arrogance," then it's you heartland folks that are treating America and all people with total "disrespect."

Basket of deplorables? She was right of course; half of them probably are. But OK, so she made a gaffe. How many gaffes did Trump utter? And if his supporters are racist, sexist, homophobic, or xenophobic, is that Hillary's fault? They are the ones who voted for a racist, sexist xenophobe.

Pardon me for introducing just a little logic into this hogwash.

While I may agree with you hogwashy nature of the charges against Hillary, it still stands as fact that most of my neighborhood comprises a demographic that sees her as the "professional elite".  Yup, these are the people who fall for dumb propaganda be it for one side or against the other.  Many of them are simply deplorable at many levels, but more of them are likely to excuse deplorable which is, in my mind, just as bad.  

I hear all day long how Trump won and it signals a sea change in the direction for America.  I call bullshit on that.  It was a very close vote, and it was thrown in Trump's favor by the angry hopes of those that have been left behind.........never mind there are good reasons they were left behind.

Here is a funny thing, though not directly related to the above referenced article.  So, I know a lot of people that worked for manufacturers in my area.  Those places left some time ago.  Some left more than a decade ago.  The people are still here ranting they want the jobs back, they want manufacturing jobs (that you only need a GED to get particularly) to come back.  They want to live that true American lifestyle, to be able to support their families, and for their children to have a future.  They want America back the way it used to be.

THEN MOVE!!!!!  That is the way America used to be for christsake!  When the jobs move, you move!  My family covered this continent looking for work, moving when the jobs moved, coal miners, meat packers, farmers and machinists and soldiers they were and they never once sat on their poor little asses waiting for someone to bring a job to them!  Wherever did this sense of employment entitlement come from that says, "I don't want to move cuzin my family is all here and it would break my heart to leave"  WTF!  The workers with the get up and go, got up and went, and followed the work the way strong-willed Americans do.  Sometimes one went, and brought the next, and the next and so on. In many ways these rust belt cities and rural areas are populated by the ones without the gumption to go.  They somehow believe American business owes them a living and needs to bring them a job.  Not just any job.  A simple job, where you don't need no skewlin and pay day is Friday.  

So, some might call these people deplorable.
There was never any good old days
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
       -- Eugene Hutz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Skabungus - 11-16-2016, 06:02 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  most Americans think too many people are easily offended Dan '82 20 26,007 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Danilynn