Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those people in the upper midwest
(11-17-2016, 07:57 PM)Skabungus Wrote: <snip>
Not at all what I am getting at.  Did you purposely bait me?

No, I was not baiting.

Skabungus Wrote:There are options besides staying in place.  When you are a steel worker making $65k in 1989 year dollars, and you sit on your ass and slowly decline into poverty rather than move, you are an idiot.  

There are some nettlesome details I can come up with. In theory, a former steel worker may well own a house. That makes it hard to move. Most likely, in say Bethlehem, nobody can sell any owned property since nobody is moving into that city. My fair home town is just like that place except it's in Oklahoma. The oil bust created selfsame dive into regional decline here. There are vacant houses galore and the only jobs to be had are minimum wage sort. As for ass sitting, I'm not sure of that either. You either work or starve. So yeah, you go one way into poverty even working at the local Wally World. As for myself, I knew minimum wage would never, ever work in Houston due to sky high property taxes. In depressed Oklahoma, hey, I did pay my yearly property tax rent of $218.00 today, man. It's all good, even in minimum wage hell. So I'm just like the hypothetical steel worker, going from a six fig salary due to H1B taking my job.  Now THAT is what has  me pissed off!  I'll do anything to fuck up globalization I can!  I fucking, fucking hate it.  I want folks here to feel my rage.  I hope to hell all of those fucking elites just go off and die.  Rats and roaches are far more worthy of their biomass. I hope some hurricane, tornado blows away their companies in Mexico/India/China, because I just don't give a fuck anymore. Now, H1B importers get special treatment.  I hope they get a dose of chlorine gas or something. I hope some hurricane washes them out to sea and a lucky shark eats them. Now that would make me feel real good. I bet those recently layed off Ford workers feel like I do. I bet they want the Ford CEO drawn and quartered. That would make them feel good.

Quote:When you are a street kid, in the same city, you really don't have the option to pick up and go.  Very different circumstances with very different options.

Nope, we're all street kids now.  The same future and same drugs.

Quote:Where I live I am surrounded by the former example.  People with good networks, some education, some job skills, and the opportunity to change their fortunes, sometimes just by moving a state away.  They don't do it.  Rather they demand that their towns spring back to the good old days.  Dipshits.

Not here, after 50 you're toast in IT. High tech hires only 20 somethings. If you're over 50, it's over, period. If used to do hard labor, likewise in most cases, again too old. You're fucked and thrown away  into the industrial scrap heap. Some fucking CEO does that to make a few extra G's on the next bonus. Again, it's the elites who do this shit. If.... only some virus would happen that kills only CEO's , earth would be a much better place.

Quote:We do have endemic poverty here as well and in those instances (be they rural or urban) social programs, food assistance, welfare, free medical are essential to getting them in a situation where they actually have choices.  Libertarians and repuglicans just laugh at that.

Now, that I agree with.
---Value Added Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Ragnarök_62 - 11-17-2016, 08:56 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  most Americans think too many people are easily offended Dan '82 20 26,002 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Danilynn