Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those people in the upper midwest
Eric your post above, "On Rural America: Understanding Isn’t The Problem" Hits it on the head.......bluntly. The mistrust directed at anything that pierces the perfect bubble of Norman Rockwellian Christian conservative thinking is uniform and unflinching. Educated professional, people from the outside (I am a guilty party on both counts) and anything that might indicate that gray is a better representation of reality than the black and white they hold dear, is rejected out of hand.

It is only with direct firsthand experience that any change can come. When their kin suffer, then they have a better chance of listening, like maybe 60/40. The problem here in the Flyover regions of rural America is not much different than the problems with rural, religious people in Afganistan, Iraq or Syria.

Again, a couple good hard flu seasons will help the Boomers "age out" of the electorate. Millies, even in Flyover America are more connected to the outside world, more worldly in general, and more secular. I find even the kids in my Boy Scout Troop, who have been raised in fundamentalist families express views more in line with the kind of understanding we will require as the crisis reaches the boiling point.

Millies don't fail us now!
There was never any good old days
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
       -- Eugene Hutz

Messages In This Thread
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-16-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by radind - 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Odin - 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM
RE: Those people in the upper midwest - by Skabungus - 11-19-2016, 10:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  most Americans think too many people are easily offended Dan '82 20 26,002 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Danilynn