Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How conservative are Homelanders really?
(04-21-2020, 08:56 AM)Camz Wrote: This thread has gone in a completely different direction. It's got me thinking, though...

To be honest, while I'm excited for what amazing culture and change comes in the 2T, I'm also pretty terrified of becoming a neglecting parent. When I read what T4T says about Gen X I feel really depressed for them. Their parents just letting them roam free sounds lonely and empty, almost like they didn't care about them at all. On top of that is divorce, which I can't imagine going through as a kid. On top of that, the media portrayed them as terrible kids. It almost sounds like society hated young X'ers. Massive respect for you guys for surviving a childhood like that. And to think I might raise kids with that same childhood...

Of course, I say this as a Homelander/Quarantiner who feels like helicopter parenting perfectly fine and normal. I'm sure you guys wish to turn back time and fight the neighbors' kids with sticks or whatever. Was your childhood actually like this? Have advice for raising the Neo-Nomads? What will the 2T be like for us anyway?

I'm worried about what older people say about new kids being bad parents in the future because we're phone-addicts is true.

My experience of my neighbor and school fellow-boomer kids was horrid. Bullying and teasing was practically expected of anyone hip, and nerds and geeks were attacked. Silent Generation era clicks continued. Boomers changed during the 2T in a revolutionary way in circa 1966-69 and became all peace and love and really cool and hip guys and gals. Some experienced a consciousness awakening. Then the 3T hit, and they (we) went back to being self-righteous and bossy pricks and have stayed that way. Of course, not everyone fits the same molds. Many boomers today are well-balanced and thoughtful in their opinions, if still rather dogmatic; not the impulsive youth that they were in the sixties. Boomers can be hypocritical in the way they are so hedonistic themselves but so critical of "lazy and entitled" millennials.

As I observed Gen X kids, maybe they felt neglected, and certainly later on they complained loudly about boomers and their cultures on forums like this, but they were brave and did amazing stunts I would never dream of doing (well, I might dream of doing this, but that's as far as it goes). They had outlandish and radical styles, liked lousy noisy music, and created cool psychedelic raves. They are practical and skilled, and often have a cynical, hard-bitten and sometimes-feisty style compared to smooth, flowing, looser and self-satisfied and "narcissistic" boomers. If anything they were politically more conservative than core boomers in youth. Now boomers as a whole are slightly more conservative, but core boomers are still more liberal than Xers.

Millennials seem to me competent, attractive and good at networking and tech, and are science-oriented with some also open to new age spirituality. Some of them are self-satisfied meanies with unstable and mercurial personalities. There's dregs in any generation. Most are well-informed and well-balanced folks doing what they can with all they have inherited. Mostly their cultural tastes remain poor but more positive and happy than cynical Xer tastes, but some of them appreciate the best pop culture of our time, which came from the Awakening. Experiencing the lack of opportunity as no generation has before them, including Xers who benefited from lower population and less competition compared to 20-30-something boomers, some millennials are active in political movements. I include especially the younger Gen Z Millennials and "homelanders" in that. Millennials are slowly learning to be civics, but it has taken them a long time to learn the ropes of citizenship, and are still slow. Millennials in spite of everything are optimistic and confident, given generally good upbringing and moral support from boomer and early Gen X parents.

YMMV
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: How conservative are Homelanders really? - by Eric the Green - 04-21-2020, 06:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kids react = Homelanders react sbarrera 0 1,205 07-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  New adaptives most socially conservative since Silents? Warren Dew 19 18,560 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  Homelanders: Mid 90s or Mid 00s? HoldOn 53 46,467 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a