Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi?
Quote:Actually, on this thread anyway, I'm arguing Door #3: Trump as Berlusconi.  Why?  Because the similarity between these two men is--in a word--eerie, which is easily supportable, the evidence for which I will continue to cite.  Too, why must an analogue be limited to past American leaders, as you seem to suggest with Possibility #1 (which I can buy in to somewhat) and Possibility #2?  Adolf Hitler, after all, believed in a Third Reich, a Teutonic pattern of sorts.  Was Hitler analogous in the end to either Charlemagne or Bismarck?  What precedent in the long Germanic history suggested that an ultimately reviled leader, such as Hitler, would spring forth in one of the most sophisticated cultures in the world, only to rule with such utter barbarism?  None that I can detect. 

All I'm saying is that the model of leadership that Trump may follow could be that of Berlusconi, or Putin, or indeed anyone outside the American experience.  Can you allow for that?

Fixed that for you.  Unless you are providing evidence that Trump actually IS Berlusconi, you are providing supporting data FOR an assessment.  One which I can see, and have seen the case for from Daniel Larison et al. at the American Conservative for the last year-ish.

I have no problem allowing for it, in fact, I was originally anticipating an American general playing the part of Putin in the event of a Hillary presidency leading to war.  Could still happen, I suppose.

My only objection to the Berlusconi comparison in terms of my examples above is simply in terms of turning placement, and role in history.  In terms of affect, absolutely.  He's even the right color.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by SomeGuy - 01-06-2017, 04:46 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 09:27 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM
RE: Donald Trump: America's Berlusconi? - by Odin - 01-14-2017, 10:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Prominent Republicans call for Donald Trump to drop out of the nomination Bronsin 16 22,135 10-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Webmaster