Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donald Trump: polls of approval and favorability
(11-15-2020, 11:36 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 10:46 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: Will try naming those states most likely to divide amongst themselves. I would say Illinois, Pennsylvania and Texas. Who else?

I think so.

It would be hard keeping far-northern CA and southern OR blue, since they have already named themselves "The State of Jefferson." One guy put a big sign on Interstate 5 on a barn facing the highway near Yreka CA with that name. Some of the eastern rural parts of the west-coast triad of states might join in this "state." I guess the capital of the State of Jefferson would be Redding (now in CA). Roseburg OR would be a regional capital.

I can hope that the northern Ohio coast from Toledo to Cleveland would join the northern mid-western blue states, so the eastern part of them would be contiguous. Georgia and the Carolinas as well as Virginia might divide territories between urban/coastal and rural/inland territories. It might take a commission to redraw all these boundaries.

Would the two nations be hostile and unable to trade with each other? Red America likes tariffs and walls now. Tributes and tolls would have to be paid to cross the border between red and blue. Also, I doubt Red America would stay in NATO, even though it has the lion's share of US military bases. It definitely would not join the United Nations, and probably not the Organization of American States. It would withdraw from NAFTA and world trade organizations and banks. They would have to decide how much of its natural heritage and parks to destroy. What would they do with Mt. Rushmore?

I doubt Red America could survive for very long. It would have so much poverty that its population would decline and its industry and commerce stagnate. With its poor and black population moving to Blue America, and immigration from Latin America and Africa to it prohibited, it would have a severe labor shortage. Most of the border states with Mexico would probably be blue though, so most immigration would be to Blue America anyway.

Interesting, but mostly impractical. There are several reasons, but let's take the obvious ones:
  • The national debt has to be serviced. How is that divvied up, or more to the point, is it?  I don't see the Reds taking any they aren't forced to take, if that's even possible.
  • Who get's what?  This should tie back to the first item too -- you want it, you buy the part that's not yours.  
  • What if any provision will be made to change sides later?  I know that a lot of Western Virginia is more like West Virginia and Kentucky, than it is like the urban crescent.  Of course, the urban crescent pays for everything, so initial chest pounding may give way to rational thought after a while.
The list can go on and on.  It's BREXIT on steroids.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump: polls of approval and favorability - by David Horn - 11-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 midterm polls Eric the Green 108 12,759 11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Joe Biden: polls of approval and favorability pbrower2a 348 90,286 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Biden's approval rating hits new low in latest Quinnipiac poll chairb 0 619 10-18-2021, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Trump hits new low in approval poll nebraska 108 26,141 03-02-2021, 05:07 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Approval Ratings Meaningless jleagans 2 1,194 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  BBC Video... Donald Trump and the MAFIA pbrower2a 2 1,835 05-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Congress Approval Rating Hits Lowest Point of Trump Era 1948 0 1,682 01-31-2018, 12:05 AM
Last Post: 1948
  Polling suggests people are losing trust in Trump as his approval ratings decline nebraska 0 1,406 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Trump’s Approval Rating is Tanking to New Lows as His Base Falls Apart nebraska 0 1,253 12-31-2017, 09:06 PM
  More than 200 new laws win Pence approval nebraska 0 1,240 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM