Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donald Trump: polls of approval and favorability
(02-04-2021, 02:57 PM)mamabug Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 02:44 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Cassandra: I think you are projecting. You are afraid of what the Left in power might do, because it's what the Right-wing in power does. Who did what on January 6th? Who supports denying the results of a free and fair election so that the current president can just stay in power regardless of the results? Why do you rail against what the Left does, and not against what Trump and his Cult do?

I am currently afraid of what the Left in power might do because:

1.  They are in power
2.  They are supported by all institutions that normally act as a check on that power
3.  They are the ones putting forth illiberal policies that threaten individual liberty with almost zero pushback or publicization
4.  They are the ones bringing the full power of the police state and judicial system to bear on those who are politically unfavored while excusing the same behavior from their allies with, again, zero pushback and little publicization.
5.  See arguments 1-4 and repeat until one of those conditions stops.

You weren't so concerned about what Trump was doing recently, like throwing kids in cages to die.

1. The Left's power is limited. They have the senate by 1 vote and still have the filibuster. The have the House by only 11 votes.
2. The right-wing has the supreme court and many federal courts.
3. Most Democratic policies are not ill-liberal, while Republicans continue with voter suppression. Republicans are against democracy.
4. The Feds, starting even before Biden took over, are arresting the thugs who attacked us. I hope they put them in jail and throw away the key. Creeps like Taylor-Greene and Loebert cannot be unfavored enough to suit me. Claiming that David Hogg is an actor and that the gun massacres were staged is way beyond the pale, let alone threatening the life of Pelosi. Put them in jail.
5. Stop repeating fascist arguments.

Quote:If the same configuration of events occurred for Trump, I would be similarly apprehensive of what could happen.  However, at almost no point in his presidency was even one achieved, except possibly #1 during the first 2 years.

What Trump did in ignoring subpoenas and asking the AG to be his personal attorney and fire people for enforcing the law and so much more was WAY beyond anything the Left might do. You were not apprehensive about what Trump did, such as tell police to be rough, and organize and incite a violent attack on the Capitol after refusing to accept a valid election defeat, or pepper spray peaceful demonstrators in order to prepare the way for a foto op. I like what conservative author George Will said about Trump, that his voters wanted a bull in the China cabinet, and now he has cracked up so much crockery that he has totally discredited himself.

Quote:In general, I believe that the American system (when working properly) is strong enough to withstand an individual or sub-group with bad ideas or bad intentions.  Seeing as how I think 90% of politicians at the federal level are either narcissists or sociopaths (or both), I kind of have to believe that.  I get concerned when both ALL the governmental and non-governmental seats of power are marching to the same beat AND there aren't even internal checks on those bad ideas.

I'm hoping points #3 and 4 subside soon, maybe when the press stops it's honeymoon phase and lets go of it's desire for vengeance they can examine the potential ramifications of things like a 'War on Domestic Terror' that takes it's lessons from Afghanistan.  Or, maybe, it won't and we'll get articles justifying the drone strikes on some random WV wedding because it got a guy who once posted in favor of the Proud Boys.

Saying that 90% of politicians are sociopaths is unfair. Most are doing good public service, even if some of them may support bad policies. Doing politics is an honorable profession, and it harms our republic to constantly knock them unfairly. We need to get those terrorists in jail. I am not at all concerned yet about a drone strike; it won't happen unless the right-wing mounts an effective violent rebellion; then Katy bar the door on the liberal government's response, and using whatever valid weapons of war they do will be fine with me. Meanwhile bravo to Biden for reversing the horrible Trump policies. I approve of everything he has done so far. He has not turned the country to the left. He has merely restored sanity.

I disagree with you a lot, but Bob Butler says we need some more red Republican views on the new facebook forum. Feel free to join. It is getting lots of new members.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump: polls of approval and favorability - by Eric the Green - 02-04-2021, 03:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 midterm polls Eric the Green 108 12,887 11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Joe Biden: polls of approval and favorability pbrower2a 348 90,542 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Biden's approval rating hits new low in latest Quinnipiac poll chairb 0 620 10-18-2021, 11:05 PM
Last Post: chairb
  Trump hits new low in approval poll nebraska 108 26,240 03-02-2021, 05:07 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Approval Ratings Meaningless jleagans 2 1,198 02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  BBC Video... Donald Trump and the MAFIA pbrower2a 2 1,837 05-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Congress Approval Rating Hits Lowest Point of Trump Era 1948 0 1,682 01-31-2018, 12:05 AM
Last Post: 1948
  Polling suggests people are losing trust in Trump as his approval ratings decline nebraska 0 1,408 01-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Trump’s Approval Rating is Tanking to New Lows as His Base Falls Apart nebraska 0 1,255 12-31-2017, 09:06 PM
  More than 200 new laws win Pence approval nebraska 0 1,241 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM