Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compare/contrast American Presidential elections
Here's a map of the top 15 most obese states (over 27.7% of the population) -- in red.

[Image: genusmap.php?year=2008&ev_c=1&pv_p=0&ev_...&NE3=2;1;6]

Yikes! Except for Michigan, those states usually vote Republican in Presidential elections (and 2020 is unlikely to change that assessment). 

Aside from Michigan, only one of those fifteen states (Indiana, in its flukish vote for Obama in 2008) has ever voted for the Democratic nominee for President since 1996.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Maybe they eat too much because they're frustrated.
(11-14-2018, 11:20 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: Maybe they eat too much because they're frustrated.

Poverty and over-eating are closely-related, and these are mostly poor states. The most prosperous of these states is probably Texas. Poorer people tend to eat more sweets, smoke, drink pathologically, and to not exercise. But notice that one of the poorest states in America, new Mexico, is not among these states.  Hispanic difference? When I lived in Texas I noticed that Hispanics seemed to be less obese than other Texans.

Poverty creates frustrations, especially where people are atomized. Poverty usually connects to a contempt for formal learning.  I think of the song from the musical from Annie Get Your Gun, "Doin' What Comes Natcherly". Sure, she is from Ohio, but she's from Appalachian Ohio.

Note that every state among the fifteen voted for Donald Trump in 2016. Most (least likely will be Michigan, which usually votes for Democratic nominees for President except in Republican blowouts and Texas) will vote for Trump in 2020. Trump appeals to white people more likely to have problems with impulse control. Impulse control is essential to not overeating, and to stick with an exercise program.

Having had difficulty with weight control (but I struggle and always will), I am often tempted to examine the lives of the obese for 'negative advice' -- basically, do what they don't do. All that one need do is look at the contents of their carts in a place like Wal*Mart. I see lots of sodas (people already overweight may be replacing sugary drinks with diet sodas), mass-market beer, pastries, chips, high-fat cuts of meats, cakes, candy, and cookies to see what they eat. Look where they do not go -- like museums of any kind or even bookstores. To be sure, reading is not physical exercise, but it is not so easy to devour fattening snacks while reading a book as when watching television. I figure that the obese generally have a low level of curiosity, so their experiences can be severely limited.

If I were to write an article on weight loss I would give this advice:

LIVE THE WEIGHT THAT YOU WANT TO HAVE!

If you weigh 240 and want to weigh 160, then act like someone who weighs 160. You might not get to 160, but you will get close. You will not need a crash diet; just eat like someone who weighs 160, and be similarly active. You will not pig out at buffets. You will go for walks, and maybe do some jogging or even take up skiing or swimming. You will get away from the TV as entertainment because you will find passive viewing of anything on television a bore. If you are at family get-togethers, you will not go for second helpings of turkey at the Thanksgiving dinner, and you will not sample every dessert. You will not buy quite the same foodstuffs as you did. Maybe you will do more honest-to-Julia-Child cooking instead of having prepared meals that you simply put into the microwave so that you can watch television.

The Net? I find that eating while typing is impossible. Hands are obviously not holding onto food.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-02-2017, 12:57 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Here's a map of the top 15 most obese states (over 27.7% of the population) -- in red.

Yikes! Except for Michigan, those states usually vote Republican in Presidential elections (and 2020 is unlikely to change that assessment). 

Aside from Michigan, only one of those fifteen states (Indiana, in its flukish vote for Obama in 2008) has ever voted for the Democratic nominee for President since 1996.
I wonder how many of the obese in those states are Democratic voters?
(01-12-2019, 12:48 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 12:57 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Here's a map of the top 15 most obese states (over 27.7% of the population) -- in red.

Are they voters? I would expect the terribly-obese to be less likely to go out to do anything, even grocery-shopping and dining out. They might deputize others to do such for them. There is much fat-shaming, and that might keep them from going out to register to vote.

...Obesity obviously creates problems of health and medical costs. Obese people are more likely to have diabetes, a costly medical condition, and any surgeries performed upon them are more costly and less successful. Weight control (like smoking cessation) should be a legitimate object of public health care.

I would suggest that as a condition of collecting food aid that adults be obliged to take a state-paid courses on cooking and nutrition, and that they get a cookbook (of course promoting good eating habits) at public expense. Do you have any problem with that? I would also encourage governments to disqualify sodas, candy, pastries, and chips.  (Maybe we could allow people to get dish-washing and clothes-washing detergents as compensation.

Why is that even a question?  Obesity may have a higher correlation with one party than the other, but, if so, the correlation is more likely to be with the GOP.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-13-2019, 12:30 PM)David Horn Wrote:

Why is that even a question?  Obesity may have a higher correlation with one party than the other, but, if so, the correlation is more likely to be with the GOP.

Probably this relates to some states having more severe poverty than others -- and being less effective in doing anything about it. These are not the best states in America in which to live. Michigan shocks me, as I live there. It is still not a great place to live. There are nice parts, but much of it is rotten.

Obesity and poverty connect in part because severe obesity makes one less likely to hold a job. But why do people get obese? Because they indulge excessively in wonderful food? Not likely. People are not getting grotesquely obese on pâté de foie gras and lobster; they are getting fat on candy, pastries, pie, cake, donuts, chips, sugary sodas, and mass-market beer -- mostly bad stuff. I had a cousin who died at age 48 of a heart attack related to obesity; family members told me that he typically went to a fast-food place and asked to super-size the meal and double it. This fellow had a recipe for macaroni and cheese; it says "add sugar". He got up to nearly 500 pounds.

One way to look for fattening food is to look for the label 'comfort food', typically processed food high in fat and carbohydrates, especially in 'generous' portions. Or something convenient and quickly satisfying, like some single-serving of pie. So it might tide me over until dinner that might be delayed? Of course -- with 400 calories.

But that is the consumption of calories. The other side is their disposal. At some point one is unable to walk. Extreme obesity is a literal handicap. They usually end up huffing and puffing after even mild exertion. You see these people riding carts in grocery stores. (Sure, I have, but I then had a gout attack, and if you know what gou8t is like, you would understand) or when I drove such a cart back for someone. 

I'm trying to figure what they do for entertainment. Television, I guess. Did you expect them to play chess or bridge? Do they seem to suggest that they read books? I can think of places where I never see them -- museums of any kind, whether of science, machinery (cars or aircraft), science, history, or art. It's not that one can't deal with such places if one is overweight; it is that one needs a curious mind to appreciate what is available there.

It is worth remembering that even box stores that are not really grocery stores by any stretch of the imagination typically have candy, packaged donuts, and trashy magazines available as impulse purchases. One must ask the clerk for cigarettes to get them, but those are in plain sight. If you think, you avoid them. If you do not think, you grab them (or ask the clerk for cancerettes).

Getting obese is easy. One simply must avoid thinking. That cousin, from what I heard, never read a book after he ended his high-school education. He didn't say that he dropped out, but I would not be surprised if he did.

Blue states are usually better than red states at everything, except the cost of doing business. That's because they have the right idea about things in general, and are willing to be well-informed. However, I notice that the northwestern mountain and plain red states do OK on some of the indexes, while the southeast is invariably the worst. These southeast ones are, after all, mostly the states that defended to the death their right to own and abuse slaves. It's been a long climb out of that hole, and they are nowhere near finished climbing out.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-21-2019, 03:09 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Blue states are usually better than red states at everything, except the cost of doing business. That's because they have the right idea about things in general, and are willing to be well-informed. However, I notice that the northwestern mountain and plain red states do OK on some of the indexes, while the southeast is invariably the worst. These southeast ones are, after all, mostly the states that defended to the death their right to own and abuse slaves. It's been a long climb out of that hole, and they are nowhere near finished climbing out.

True enough, but not so much for that reason.  The problem with the Old South is a love and admiration of a rigid class structure.  The class structure is well maintained by people on the bottom who feel they belong there, as much as those on top who believe it too.  Worse, folks near the bottom find it fully appropriate that "their betters" should pay them poorly and treat them as less, yet they also embrace their position as somehow superior.  It's a bit weird to me, and I've been here for decades.  No one's prouder than a redneck, and redneck culture permeates the entire region.

For all that, it seems to work in an odd way, but it's far from ideal.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Triumph of Stupidity in American Politics pbrower2a 12 3,897 12-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a