Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden policy means higher oil prices: Goldman
Biden policy means higher oil prices: Goldman

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-policy-means-higher-oil-prices-goldman-170738261.html
(01-24-2021, 09:41 PM)nclovers Wrote: Biden policy means higher oil prices: Goldman

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-policy-means-higher-oil-prices-goldman-170738261.html

Good!
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Americans hate cheap gas prices with a passion.
Oil prices are low when people either have nowhere to go or nothing to do when they get there. I'm not traveling eighty miles to go to a Meijer when I can go to one in my own town.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(01-26-2021, 03:33 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Oil prices are low when people either have nowhere to go or nothing to do when they get there. I'm not traveling eighty miles to go to a Meijer when I can go to one in my own town.

Except oil prices also can effect energy costs and price of goods.  Especially if they are artificially inflated because alternative energy sources are still too expensive and unreliable.  

One of the biggest slights of hand I've seen coming out of the DNC side is the push to both raise minimum wage AND implement policies that increase overall cost of living.  The result is people at the bottom who feel they got a raise but in reality their purchasing power has gone down.  Kind of reminds me of 'the chocolate rations have increased...'

The truth is that the DNC is just as much the party of big business as the GOP, they just have a different set of businesses.  Ones that need regulations, government subsidies, and globalization to be profitable.
(01-26-2021, 12:44 PM)mamabug Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 03:33 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Oil prices are low when people either have nowhere to go or nothing to do when they get there. I'm not traveling eighty miles to go to a Meijer when I can go to one in my own town.

Except oil prices also can effect energy costs and price of goods.  Especially if they are artificially inflated because alternative energy sources are still too expensive and unreliable.  

One of the biggest slights of hand I've seen coming out of the DNC side is the push to both raise minimum wage AND implement policies that increase overall cost of living.  The result is people at the bottom who feel they got a raise but in reality their purchasing power has gone down.  Kind of reminds me of 'the chocolate rations have increased...'

The truth is that the DNC is just as much the party of big business as the GOP, they just have a different set of businesses.  Ones that need regulations, government subsidies, and globalization to be profitable.

Alternatives to fossil fuels are already emerging unsubsidized -- more than can be said for oil and coal.  We have to go there anyway, and the ultimate cost is less than fossil fuels, so tax the bejesus our of oil, like the rest of the world, and let's get on with it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-26-2021, 02:21 PM)David Horn Wrote:

Alternatives to fossil fuels are already emerging unsubsidized -- more than can be said for oil and coal.  We have to go there anyway, and the ultimate cost is less than fossil fuels, so tax the bejesus our of oil, like the rest of the world, and let's get on with it.
Do we really have to go there? You aren't thinking again dude. Do you want America to continue paying its taxes or can the tech giants and a group uber rich afford to pay for everything that you and world need to survive on its own? It can happen dude and don't be foolishness enough to think/feel that it can't happen again dude. We have some alternatives here and there but we have no particular one and no infrastructure in place either.
(01-26-2021, 02:49 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 02:21 PM)David Horn Wrote: Alternatives to fossil fuels are already emerging unsubsidized -- more than can be said for oil and coal.  We have to go there anyway, and the ultimate cost is less than fossil fuels, so tax the bejesus our of oil, like the rest of the world, and let's get on with it.

Do we really have to go there? You aren't thinking again dude. Do you want America to continue paying its taxes or can the tech giants and a group uber rich afford to pay for everything that you and world need to survive on its own? It can happen dude and don't be foolishness enough to think/feel that it can't happen again dude. We have some alternatives here and there but we have no particular one and no infrastructure in place either.

Buried in there somewhere is an argument I simply missed. My bad.
(01-26-2021, 02:49 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 02:21 PM)David Horn Wrote:

In there was this argument:

Quote:Oil prices are low when people either have nowhere to go or nothing to do when they get there. I'm not traveling eighty miles to go to a Meijer when I can go to one in my own town.

by Yours Truly. It is basic economics, supply and demand, one of the basic realities that one learns in a college-level survey course on economics. If it isn't for something necessary for the costs of commuting or getting necessities, then super-cheap oil prices do not result in me having more delight in life than I might when oil prices allow me to go places worthy of the trip. Just because the trip to get to Tahquamenon Falls is lower means nothing to me if the state park is locked up tight due to the pandemic.  

One YouTube site has a trucker sharing the view from the road from his cab on his travels. I supposed that would be one way in which to take some virtual road trips. I'm guessing that truckers see more from a cab than I see from the driver's seat of a compact car. In there part of the country in which I live, scenic drives are about 100 miles away to the west (Lake Michigan) or just to the south of east (Lake Erie, about 200 miles south (reputedly Indiana 46 between Bloomington and Columbus -- Indiana, that is).   

Taxes are almost a shell game. In good times, wise governments collect them to prevent overheating of an economy and in bad times governments reduce or even negate taxes to turn personal need into public debt. That is an oversimplification of John Maynard Keyes' General Theory.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Is there much difference between the elites who are destroying the
US with wars, debt, and tyranny and the Americans who accept the wars, debt, and police state?
(01-26-2021, 02:21 PM)David Horn Wrote: Alternatives to fossil fuels are already emerging unsubsidized -- more than can be said for oil and coal.  We have to go there anyway, and the ultimate cost is less than fossil fuels, so tax the bejesus our of oil, like the rest of the world, and let's get on with it.

I would be fine with removing subsidies for both and 'negative incentive' taxes for both.  Punishing poor people because they can't get off their dependency on oil really illustrates the 'upstairs/downstairs' nature of the DNC coalition.
(01-27-2021, 05:24 PM)mamabug Wrote:

I would be fine with removing subsidies for both and 'negative incentive' taxes for both.  Punishing poor people because they can't get off their dependency on oil really illustrates the 'upstairs/downstairs' nature of the DNC coalition.

If you go anywhere outside the US (or some of the world's oil patch states) gasoline is expensive -- even in oil-rich Canada.  The truly poor tend to drive junkers, so incentives to buy newer vehicles that consume less might make sense. It's been done before.  Then again, for the far too many people who think that over sized and over powered trucks are really cars, having the full cost falling on them is a virtue, IMNSHO.
(01-27-2021, 05:47 PM)David Horn Wrote: If you go anywhere outside the US (or some of the world's oil patch states) gasoline is expensive -- even in oil-rich Canada.  The truly poor tend to drive junkers, so incentives to buy newer vehicles that consume less might make sense. It's been done before.  Then again, for the far too many people who think that over sized and over powered trucks are really cars, having the full cost falling on them is a virtue, IMNSHO.

Except, a lot of the people who own 'over priced and over powered' trucks are those who need them for work.   The desire to 'punish' those committing the 'sin' of owning a vehicle the clerical class of the environmental movement has arbitrarily decided nobody needs increasingly falls on those who are only guilty of not being an educated, white collar, urban dwelling elite.
(01-27-2021, 06:04 PM)mamabug Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 05:47 PM)David Horn Wrote: If you go anywhere outside the US (or some of the world's oil patch states) gasoline is expensive -- even in oil-rich Canada.  The truly poor tend to drive junkers, so incentives to buy newer vehicles that consume less might make sense. It's been done before.  Then again, for the far too many people who think that over sized and over powered trucks are really cars, having the full cost falling on them is a virtue, IMNSHO.

Except, a lot of the people who own 'over priced and over powered' trucks are those who need them for work.   The desire to 'punish' those committing the 'sin' of owning a vehicle the clerical class of the environmental movement has arbitrarily decided nobody needs increasingly falls on those who are only guilty of not being an educated, white collar, urban dwelling elite.

The strongest rationale is that one lives where there is wildlife. A raccoon got thrust into the engine compartment of my brother's car and it did over $2000 in damage. A raccoon!

Americans think hating Trump means that you love Biden.

WTF?
We have just been delivered from an abusive Leader.

Americans think that Biden will pay off the US debt, restore the Bill of Rights, and end the wars.
(01-27-2021, 11:57 PM)random3 Wrote: Americans think that Biden will pay off the US debt, restore the Bill of Rights, and end the wars.

... and who might these "Americans" be?  None that I know.
No one cares about the big picture.

Americans used to be outraged about Bruce Jenner, Greta Thunberg, statues, Epstein, Smollett, and George Floyd.

Now Americans have lost their minds about Biden, but no one cares that the US is a bankrupt warmongering police state.
(01-28-2021, 10:18 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 11:57 PM)random3 Wrote: Americans think that Biden will pay off the US debt, restore the Bill of Rights, and end the wars.

... and who might these "Americans" be?  None that I know.

Paying off the national debt is utopian. People have differing ideas on what the Amendments in the Bill of Rights mean. (At this I think of people who speak of "Tenth Amendment Citizenship", which somehow seems to ignore subsequent amendments, especially the 13th, 14th, and 15th. Does that person mean only white property-owning males?)

Ending the wars? Until the last sick society either gets obliterated or reforms itself into something stable and benign, there will always be wars.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is President Biden too old and dated, or is he the gray champion Eric the Green 47 5,714 09-20-2022, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Joe Biden: polls of approval and favorability pbrower2a 348 89,001 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Dow Falls as Biden Reportedly Mulls Tax Hike on Rich chairb 7 2,052 10-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Biden Administration Bans Importation Of Russian Ammunition chairb 0 665 10-21-2021, 03:25 AM
Last Post: chairb
  Biden’s overreach on executive edicts chairb 0 621 10-21-2021, 01:31 AM
  Rep. Bob Gibbs introduces articles of impeachment against Biden chairb 0 608 10-20-2021, 09:31 PM
  Biden follows through on pledge to take in more refugees chairb 0 597 10-19-2021, 11:25 PM
  Progressives worry about lobbying, corporate ties in Biden administration chairb 0 596 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM
  Yes, Biden Wants to End Fracking chairb 0 640 10-19-2021, 01:25 AM
  Top brass expose Biden’s biggest Afghanistan lies chairb 0 621 10-19-2021, 12:08 AM