Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags
Cuomo signs bill banning sale of Confederate flags

https://nypost.com/2020/12/15/cuomo-sign...ate-flags/
OK.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Our overlords don't even have a good reason for the nanny police state anymore. Toothpicks must be outlawed to protect the environment. Rope must be banned for safety. Baseball hats must be outlawed because they are ugly. Insurance must be mandatory to protect the insurance industry. Flagpoles must be banned to protect property values.

Why not just put Americans in prison when they're born?
On another thread, Eric asked why I was afraid of the Left when in power and I think this statement from the article illustrates it:

[he signed it] even while admitting the new edict might clash with the First Amendment and be struck down as unconstitutional.

So he is willing to sign something he admits violates individual civil rights that will impose financial penalties and consequences on anyone who violates it and force them to undertake further financial costs simply to fight for the rights he, himself, admits they have. This is the type of illiberal policy being put forth that appalls me regardless of which side it comes from. It is the spirit of our current age that has it coming from the left more than the right.
I don't see that banning the Confederate flag compares at all to rendering, prison without trial and torture that our own Republican GW Bush did, or the threats and rough treatment and picking people up off the streets at random or invading the Capitol that Republican Trump did. I agree with taking down statues of confederates; they are traitors. And changing the name of forts named after confederate generals is proper. Taking down statues of Washington or Lincoln goes way too far. I don't know that selling the Confederate battle flag should be illegal; probably not. Just not very timely now. But I am not too concerned too much about the threads started by our libertarian spammer.

Definitely white supremacy and xenophobia is the greatest terrorist threat we face, and it seems it may be OK with you, since you choose to focus on knocking Cuomo and other Left actions instead.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
... also Nazi flags. New York has plenty of Jews.

The only fitting use that I see for the Confederate flag is with other disgraced banners, like (of course) the Nazi flag, the ISIS flag, the Baath-era flag of Iraq, any KKK banner, or the flag of the Khmer Rouge. The flag of North Korea ... maybe.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Americans are completely retarded now.

Americans scream that there's nothing wrong with Trump paying taxes to China if Biden did, too.

Americans think being groped by the TSA is just fine if Muslims are, too.

Americans say tyranny is wonderful if North Korea is a police state, too.
(02-04-2021, 03:07 PM)mamabug Wrote: On another thread, Eric asked why I was afraid of the Left when in power and I think this statement from the article illustrates it:

[he signed it] even while admitting the new edict might clash with the First Amendment and be struck down as unconstitutional.

So he is willing to sign something he admits violates individual civil rights that will impose financial penalties and consequences on anyone who violates it and force them to undertake further financial costs simply to fight for the rights he, himself, admits they have.  This is the type of illiberal policy being put forth that appalls me regardless of which side it comes from.  It is the spirit of our current age that has it coming from the left more than the right.

This is the classic argument of the ACLU, among others.  I've made it myself. In short, there is no Left/Right split here, but there are competing interests.  Adherence to absolute rights eventually devolves to anarchy -- the ultimate state of me-over-thee.  Of course, the opposite is tyranny.  In between is a happy medium, but not a stable one.  In a placid society, the libertarian ideal is workable, because 'the people' self-regulate.  That ideal doesn't work most of the time, and right now, at this point in time, we're closer to the other extreme.  That's the entre state to a 1T, and the reason they are the way they are -- rigid and rule-based.

If you have a way to achieve and maintain the ideal state, then you should advocate that.  Otherwise, society will oscillate from more open to more closed as it always has.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Part of the reason Americans love the police state is that the government made Americans dependent on the government.

The government steals money from taxpayers to give to the lazy and outlaws feeding the homeless and starting a business.

The government bans guns so Americans must rely on the Gestapo for protection.

No one dares criticize the government if they will lose their food stamps, Obamacare, Obamaphones, and Section 8.
(02-05-2021, 09:29 PM)random3 Wrote: Part of the reason Americans love the police state is that the government made Americans dependent on the government.

The government steals money from taxpayers to give to the lazy and outlaws feeding the homeless and starting a business.

The government bans guns so Americans must rely on the Gestapo for protection.

No one dares criticize the government if they will lose their food stamps, Obamacare, Obamaphones, and Section 8.

I am dependent on the government mostly in my long term employer mostly worked on government contracts.

No one has stolen my money.  I am comfortable enough, thank you.

The Gestapo no longer exists, and no one has prevented me from owning a gun if I wanted to.

There has been no lack of people criticizing the government from all angles including yours.

I am tired of red advocates working themselves up with lots of obvious lies that they tell themselves.  They are not describing the reality in which I dwell.  Is it any wonder that the 'solutions' they advocate are useless?  

Try addressing real problems.  The crisis issues are COVID, the economy, racial injustice, red violence and global warming.  Choose at least one and take steps to stop it.  Stop with the lies.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Does anyone get the feeling that anyone supporting the police state now is a paid NSA shill?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...l-networks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,163 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,701 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Lawmakers Send Newsom Bill That Could Ban Gas Generators chairb 0 646 10-21-2021, 05:27 AM
Last Post: chairb
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,929 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Two more women accuse Gov. Andrew Cuomo of inappropriate behavior Adar 0 654 03-08-2021, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Cuomo Aides Rewrote Nursing Home Report to Hide Higher Death Toll girlmonday 0 662 03-06-2021, 04:02 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,089 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Bill would delay sale of voter-approved recreational marijuana until 2023 treehugger 0 716 02-21-2021, 11:22 PM
Last Post: treehugger
  Washington state introduces bill to increase state gas tax random3 0 721 02-19-2021, 03:36 AM
Last Post: random3
  Mandatory COVID vaccine bill surfaces in Albany random3 0 551 02-13-2021, 06:34 AM
Last Post: random3