Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LPTs for the generations to live up to their archetypal role
I made these life pro tips for the generations based on what is written about the archetypal roles in "The Fourth Turning." What do you think? Are the generations today following this advice?

Boom Generation (Prophet archetype) in elderhood. Be wise, and champion the values that need to be preserved through this Crisis Era. Emphasize the urgency of our need and be willing to make sacrifices yourself, as well as expecting sacrifice from younger generations.

Generation X (Nomad archetype) in mid-life. Be pragmatic, cutting through process and complication to get things done. Resist the urge to sit back and let the world burn. Use your experience and savvy to lead and guide the Millennial generation.

Millennial Generation (Hero archetype) in young adulthood. Be responsible, and use your hivemind powers to reach consensus and to enforce good conduct among your peers. Have faith that we can make our institutions work again.

Homeland Generation (Artist archetype) in childhood. Be kind and considerate of others. Remind the older generations that love still matters and that
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(06-16-2021, 12:27 PM)sbarrera Wrote: I made these life pro tips for the generations based on what is written about the archetypal roles in "The Fourth Turning." What do you think? Are the generations today following this advice?

Boom Generation (Prophet archetype) in elderhood. Be wise, and champion the values that need to be preserved through this Crisis Era. Emphasize the urgency of our need and be willing to make sacrifices yourself, as well as expecting sacrifice from younger generations.

We're far too divided to do much beyond argue amongst ourselves. Yes, there are Boomer mentors out there, and some that try to direct arguments in positive directions. Others do the exact opposite. We often succeed as individuals but, as a group, we're failing.

sbarrera Wrote:Generation X (Nomad archetype) in mid-life. Be pragmatic, cutting through process and complication to get things done. Resist the urge to sit back and let the world burn. Use your experience and savvy to lead and guide the Millennial generation.

Many Xers are still whining about mistreatment in their youth. Some of it is justified, but then again, they also got to avoid struggling through the '70s as adults. As a generation, X has gone into circle-the-wagons mode, so there's a hole here too.

sbarrera Wrote:Millennial Generation (Hero archetype) in young adulthood. Be responsible, and use your hivemind powers to reach consensus and to enforce good conduct among your peers. Have faith that we can make our institutions work again.

I have more expectations of the Millennials. They have high morality, as a whole, but seem to lack focus ... so far. Let's see how that plays in the coming 1T.

sbarrera Wrote:Homeland Generation (Artist archetype) in childhood. Be kind and considerate of others. Remind the older generations that love still matters and that

This seems to be an incomplete thought, and that may appropriate. This entire generation is still too young to really know what it is.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
What would you say to the remaining Silent in their final years?
(06-17-2021, 07:28 AM)David Horn Wrote: I have more expectations of the Millennials.  They have high morality, as a whole, but seem to lack focus ... so far.  Let's see how that plays in the coming 1T.

Can I know some examples of their "high morality"?

I make long breaks from the Internet just not to look at their "morality".
(06-18-2021, 04:47 AM)Captain Genet Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 07:28 AM)David Horn Wrote: I have more expectations of the Millennials.  They have high morality, as a whole, but seem to lack focus ... so far.  Let's see how that plays in the coming 1T.

Can I know some examples of their "high morality"?

I make long breaks from the Internet just not to look at their "morality".

Sexuality and role-play aren't really 'morality' in the larger sense.  How we consider and  treat one another are the really important markers.  There are Boomers and Xers who would throw a friend under the bus to get ahead.  I haven't seen that in the Millennials... or I've simply missed it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(06-17-2021, 03:27 PM)GeekyCynic Wrote: What would you say to the remaining Silent in their final years?

Many have taken all out of proportion to what they've given.  Selfishness is common. Then again, many have sacrificed for family and close friends, so we should honor that and wish them well.
(06-16-2021, 12:27 PM)sbarrera Wrote: I made these life pro tips for the generations based on what is written about the archetypal roles in "The Fourth Turning." What do you think? Are the generations today following this advice?

Generation X (Nomad archetype) in mid-life. Be pragmatic, cutting through process and complication to get things done. Resist the urge to sit back and let the world burn. Use your experience and savvy to lead and guide the Millennial generation.

Millennial Generation (Hero archetype) in young adulthood. Be responsible, and use your hivemind powers to reach consensus and to enforce good conduct among your peers. Have faith that we can make our institutions work again.

Homeland Generation (Artist archetype) in childhood. Be kind and considerate of others. Remind the older generations that love still matters and that.....

Some are, some aren't; pretty much across the board. Good summary of their roles though. For the Boom Generation, the "values" are split between blue and red, so each might disagree about whether the other is following the advice to be wise. That split is carried out by the younger generations following in the boomers' and silents' wake.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-17-2021, 07:28 AM)David Horn Wrote: I have more expectations of the Millennials.  They have high morality, as a whole, but seem to lack focus ... so far.  Let's see how that plays in the coming 1   remaining 4T. (fixed that fer ya Smile )

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-17-2021, 03:27 PM)GeekyCynic Wrote: What would you say to the remaining Silent in their final years?

Mean-spirited answer: "retire, already, there's too many of you in important places."

But more charitably, and with consideration of the fact that the President is Silent, "Keep trying to make the world a fairer place, but please don't get bogged down in process or think that things always have to be done the way they used to be done."
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages

Homeland Generation (Artist archetype) in childhood. Be kind and considerate of others. Remind the older generations that love still matters and that

What, pray tell, is an LPT?

Acronymns often do not communicate.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-20-2021, 04:33 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: What, pray tell, is an LPT?

Acronymns often do not communicate.

LPT = Life Pro Tip, meaning "tips that improve your life in one way or another." My attempt to be hip to the modern lingo.
Steve Barrera

Saecular Pages
My Tips:
Silent - Spend quality time with your grandchildren and inspire them with the best of the culture you grew up with
Boomers - Look at the issues you argue about with your peers from a detached perspective. Think what difference will they make in 100 or even 1000 years.
Xers - Use your experience and common sense to solve practical problem your community is facing. Don't pretend that you're still young adults, but entertain us all with your quirky sense of humour.
Millennials - Spend more time offline. Care less for your peer group's trends and more for the wisdom of previous generations.
Homelanders - Be inspired by classics like Narnia, Peter Pan or Mary Poppins, rather than recent anime.
Is today's Fourth Turning team fulfilling their roles? Here's a great reminder of what the roles are, played out perfectly on Where In Time is Carmen San Diego (produced 1996-1997), an award-winning children's history quiz show with elaborate staging and tight production and scripts, with challenging questions for everyone:

Carmen Sandiego (played by Janine LaManna born June 14, 1966, Xer), villain, steals something from the past that changes history forever. A real Crisis!
The Chief, ultra-typical charismatic, prophet guide defines the mission to save history and offers the rewards Lynne Thigpen Boomer, lived 1948-2003
Squadron Leader, ultra-typical slacker (as shown in Season 2)--turned-super energetic nomad manager/commander and brave tactician Kevin Shinick Xer born March 19, 1969
time pilots, who navigate history by supplying fact fuel for the time skimmer through achieving data boosts, and who capture the loot and the villains, Millennials born about 1984
Engine Crew, very-competent and stylish Xer technicians, includes
Alaine Kashian, born October 27, 1971 https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1293256/
John Lathan https://www.abouttheartists.com/artists/...ohn-lathan
Owen Taylor, performer in Cats and Candide https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-cast-staff...ylor-71333

with great music!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
In season 2, Jamie Gustis, born May 3, 1972, replaced Owen Taylor of the Engine Crew, who had also morphed into villain Dr. Belljar in Season 1. Carmen San Diego was played by Brenda Burke https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8369767/

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(06-22-2021, 03:34 AM)Captain Genet Wrote: My Tips:
Silent - Spend quality time with your grandchildren and inspire them with the best of the culture you grew up with
Boomers - Look at the issues you argue about with your peers from a detached perspective. Think what difference will they make in 100 or even 1000 years.
Xers - Use your experience and common sense to solve practical problem your community is facing. Don't pretend that you're still young adults, but entertain us all with your quirky sense of humour.
Millennials - Spend more time offline. Care less for your peer group's trends and more for the wisdom of previous generations.
Homelanders - Be inspired by classics like Narnia, Peter Pan or Mary Poppins, rather than recent anime.

Great tips, thanks! I got some good feedback on the FB group too and was thinking about redoing the tips.
Steve Barrera

Saecular Pages
Thank you, Steve Smile
In Carmen Sandiego, you can see the generational prototypes following some of Captain's advice.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I don't know a better portrayal of the generations conceived by the T4T authors as the fourth turning team of generations than this sci-fi quiz show. Whether the producers of this show knew about Strauss and Howe is not certain, but The Fourth Turning book had not come out when it started in 1996. Here is another mission from the second season in 1997. Note the fiery passion of the Boomer The Chief arousing all generations to complete the mission. The Squadron Leader and The Engine Crew are as on-task as any Xers could hope to be, and in the style only Xers could assume. The Millennial Time Pilots are a happy group willing to complete the mission and defeat the enemy. And what could be a better mission than this one!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Eric, I wish I had time to watch these videos. It sounds intriguing.
Steve Barrera

Saecular Pages
(06-25-2021, 02:08 PM)sbarrera Wrote: Eric, I wish I had time to watch these videos. It sounds intriguing.

Depending on the time, generations in a film may be opposite in generational archetype from the  characters that they portray. As an example, the original Star Wars has no prominent Lost (then mostly too old) or X actors (then too young) to play Adaptive/Artist roles. 

Obi Wan Kenobi is clearly an Idealist as an austere figure from a rapidly-fading time. He has the moral authority of the Grey Champion. Alec Guinness, a British GI,  who had already had a long and distinguished career in movies, portrayed this character. But note well that Ian Cushing (1913-1994) plays an imperial overlord as Grand Muff Tarkin, the sort of person who lusts for power for its own sake and exercises it brutally. For this I see Axis war criminals Koki Hirota (Prime Minister of Japan during the butchery of Shanghai), Wilhelm Frick (Nazi Minister of the Interior before Himmler, who formulated Nazi legal codes including the Nuremberg Laws), Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel (who turned the Wehrmacht into accomplices of the Nazi New Order of mass murder), and Rodolfo Graziani, butcher of the Italian Empire in Africa. Three of those four died dangling with ropes around their necks, and I am astonished that Graziani did not end up much the same way. 

Idealists can do great harm, too.   

Han Solo (Harrison Ford) is a pecuniary mercenary who ends up on the right side to save his skin. He has burned the Empire a few times too many to avoid being a fugitive. He's good at what he does, and he is the perfect mentor for a pair of still-wet-behind-the-ears Heroes. Harrison Ford in real life is a late-wave Silent, but he plays a rogue who had to go onto the straight-and-narrow just to be useful enough to survive. 

Darth Vader is really two actors: David Prowse (1935-2020) on the screen as the physical actor and James Earl Jones as the voice of the character. Both are Silent, and they play a character arguably the worst possible Nomad/Reactive type: someone whose morals are largely to take revenge on those who have hurt him or get in his way.   

Luke and Leia are both Boomers (Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher), but they are clearly Hero-like figures in the saga. They may stand for broad principles from the distant past but have no obvious stake in the preservation of a decrepit, moribund pre-Crisis world. 

....OK, just consider two of the most frequent performers in Western movies. John Wayne is a GI who mostly plays Gilded characters; in Western movies, Clint Eastwood is a real-life Silent who mostly plays Gilded figures in any Western movies. Both were fine actors, and most fine actors can portray people very dissimilar to themselves. OK, the Gilded are a strange composite of a generation that started as undeniably Reactive/Nomad but that took on many Civic/Hero traits if on the winning side of the American Civil War. The Lost were never that, and X will never be that.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generations and Big 5 Personality JasonBlack 9 1,311 12-27-2022, 02:43 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Homophobia in different generations JasonBlack 2 727 07-23-2022, 07:46 PM
  Sub-Generations JasonBlack 3 999 05-07-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  The advantage of recessive generations JasonBlack 2 1,072 03-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  What are the Generations of other countries Phantom 0 917 12-28-2021, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Phantom
  Current anomaly: Five generations alive! Hintergrund 90 47,805 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Why do S&H start Civic generations so early? Blazkovitz 24 12,107 09-04-2021, 09:42 PM
  Is it typical for adjacent generations to not know each other all that well? nguyenivy 3 1,864 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Why cultural "generations" are flawed Ghost 14 7,158 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Ghost
  Are cultural/mainstream generations = / = historical/sociological generations? Ghost 5 2,950 12-15-2020, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew