Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The music is getting old
I have my idea for a story out of The Twilight Zone. If it sounds like a well-known series, such is the pattern. A very lonely person goes into a thrift store and out of curiosity looks in the LP bin full of records once played often and loved whose owners passed away some time ago. The loved ones of their old owner were delighted to give those records, often hokey and sentimental, away. Needless to say, those records can't even be given away to new owners who appreciate them.

The main character finds a record by Perry Como, buys it, and takes it home. He starts to play it (gender is immaterial), and back come the spirits of now-deceased people who used to enjoy this music -- old relatives and neighbors. It's one big, happy reunion.

Unite with something cast off as old-hat, and you might meet those who used to love it -- in the Twilight Zone.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

This is a set-up for a reality in the music industry: that it has mostly become a revival of old music instead of new music. The recording industry has been pushing old material instead of promoting new artists and music. The largest-selling medium for physical music is now the vinyl LP (go figure; I abandoned the vinyl LP back in the 1990's as compact discs are more durable, less prone to scratches, and more likely to keep their sound quality longer. I figured that heat flux would stretch and shrink vinyl LP's... and that is before I even discuss scratchy needles. CD's can even be manufactured more cheaply than vinyl LP's and as a bonus can be played on car stereos.

OK, here we go (from The Atlantic):

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking.
By Ted Gioia

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market, according to the latest numbers from MRC Data, a music-analytics firm. Those who make a living from new music—especially that endangered species known as the working musician—should look at these figures with fear and trembling. But the news gets worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. All the growth in the market is coming from old songs.

The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music. The current list of most-downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the previous century, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police.

I encountered this phenomenon myself recently at a retail store, where the youngster at the cash register was singing along with Sting on “Message in a Bottle” (a hit from 1979) as it blasted on the radio. A few days earlier, I had a similar experience at a local diner, where the entire staff was under 30 but every song was more than 40 years old. I asked my server: “Why are you playing this old music?” She looked at me in surprise before answering: “Oh, I like these songs.”

Never before in history have new tracks attained hit status while generating so little cultural impact. In fact, the audience seems to be embracing the hits of decades past instead. Success was always short-lived in the music business, but now even new songs that become bona fide hits can pass unnoticed by much of the population.

Only songs released in the past 18 months get classified as “new” in the MRC database, so people could conceivably be listening to a lot of two-year-old songs, rather than 60-year-old ones. But I doubt these old playlists consist of songs from the year before last. Even if they did, that fact would still represent a repudiation of the pop-culture industry, which is almost entirely focused on what’s happening right now.

Every week I hear from hundreds of publicists, record labels, band managers, and other professionals who want to hype the newest new thing. Their livelihoods depend on it. The entire business model of the music industry is built on promoting new songs. As a music writer, I’m expected to do the same, as are radio stations, retailers, DJs, nightclub owners, editors, playlist curators, and everyone else with skin in the game. Yet all the evidence indicates that few listeners are paying attention.

A series of unfortunate events are conspiring to marginalize new music. The pandemic is one of these ugly facts, but hardly the only contributor to the growing crisis.

Consider these other trends:

The leading area of investment in the music business is old songs. Investment firms are getting into bidding wars to buy publishing catalogs from aging rock and pop stars.
The song catalogs in most demand are by musicians who are in their 70s or 80s (Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen) or already dead (David Bowie, James Brown).
Even major record labels are participating in the rush to old music: Universal Music, Sony Music, Warner Music, and others are buying up publishing catalogs and investing huge sums in old tunes. In a previous time, that money would have been used to launch new artists.
The best-selling physical format in music is the vinyl LP, which is more than 70 years old. I’ve seen no signs that the record labels are investing in a newer, better alternative—because, here too, old is viewed as superior to new.
In fact, record labels—once a source of innovation in consumer products—don’t spend any money on research and development to revitalize their business, although every other industry looks to innovation for growth and consumer excitement.
Record stores are caught up in the same time warp. In an earlier era, they aggressively marketed new music, but now they make more money from vinyl reissues and used LPs.
Radio stations are contributing to the stagnation, putting fewer new songs into their rotation, or—judging by the offerings on my satellite-radio lineup—completely ignoring new music in favor of old hits.
When a new song overcomes these obstacles and actually becomes a hit, the risk of copyright lawsuits is greater than ever before. The risks have increased enormously since the “Blurred Lines” jury decision of 2015, and the result is that additional cash gets transferred from today’s musicians to old (or deceased) artists.
Adding to the nightmare, dead musicians are now coming back to life in virtual form—via holograms and “deepfake” music—making it all the harder for young, living artists to compete in the marketplace.

As record labels lose interest in new music, emerging performers desperately search for other ways to get exposure. They hope to place their self-produced tracks on a curated streaming playlist, or license their songs for use in advertising or the closing credits of a TV show. Those options might generate some royalty income, but they do little to build name recognition. You might hear a cool song on a TV commercial, but do you even know the name of the artist? You love your workout playlist at the health club, but how many song titles and band names do you remember? You stream a Spotify new-music playlist in the background while you work, but did you bother to learn who’s singing the songs?

Decades ago, the composer Erik Satie warned of the arrival of “furniture music,” a kind of song that would blend seamlessly into the background of our lives. His vision seems closer to reality than ever.

Some people—especially Baby Boomers—tell me that this decline in the popularity of new music is simply the result of lousy new songs. Music used to be better, or so they say. The old songs had better melodies, more interesting harmonies, and demonstrated genuine musicianship, not just software loops, Auto-Tuned vocals, and regurgitated samples.

There will never be another Sondheim, they tell me. Or Joni Mitchell. Or Bob Dylan. Or Cole Porter. Or Brian Wilson. I almost expect these doomsayers to break out in a stirring rendition of “Old Time Rock and Roll,” much like Tom Cruise in his underpants.

Just take those old records off the shelf

I’ll sit and listen to ’em by myself …

I can understand the frustrations of music lovers who get no satisfaction from current mainstream songs, though they try and they try. I also lament the lack of imagination on many modern hits. But I disagree with my Boomer friends’ larger verdict. I listen to two to three hours of new music every day, and I know that plenty of exceptional young musicians are out there trying to make it. They exist. But the music industry has lost its ability to discover and nurture their talents.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...ket-newtab

Comment: it is lucrative for royalty-owners,which is especially so since the movie, publishing, and music businesses successfully got Congress to lengthen the copyright period from 75 to 95 years. What would be public domain now (anything originally put in final form between 1927 and 1946) still has a copyright to milk. The first "talkie", the Jazz Singer (1927) is still under copyright.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Update: The Jazz Singer (1927) did just go into the public domain on January 1, 2023.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music that represents its turning galaxy 23 3,054 10-21-2022, 08:05 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Music during the 1T Blazkovitz 15 6,500 02-06-2022, 04:43 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Ishkur’s Guide to Electronic Music Lemanic 0 647 02-03-2022, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Lemanic
  Music and Generations GeekyCynic 5 3,639 05-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Saeculumnal Overlaps in Music: What's next? Lemanic 5 5,431 12-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  music from the year you were 21 gabrielle 5 5,898 07-25-2017, 03:31 AM
Last Post: chandler7
  American Popular Music 1840-2013 GeekyCynic 2 2,672 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Last Post: gabrielle