Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The "Unnecessariat" and the rise of Trumpism.
(05-09-2019, 09:30 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 12:41 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Suicide is markedly increased by gun availability, so the "blue/red" and "urban/rural" correlations are not surprising.

Gun availability has nothing to do with suicide.  Japan and South Korea have the highest rates of suicide world wide and also some of the toughest gun regulations on the planet.  In the US people choose guns because it is far easier to shoot themselves than to jump in front of the local bullet train like they do in Tokyo.

Those are stressful societies in which to live, societies that see failure as disgrace and have the perception that one gets one chance in life. Success is possible, but failure is The End.

Firearms are obviously not the only means of suicide. There are less dramatic ways to off oneself, like pills and liquor, and more dramatic ways, like jumping out of a high window or off a bridge, let alone harakiri. The United States does not have bullet trains yet, but walking in front of a fast-moving eighteen-wheeler is about as effective.

The ruling elite of America demand ever-greater sacrifices by people other than themselves and offer little in return except vague promises that things will get better. For those who most cheerfully sacrifice on their behalf, it is Pie in the Sky When You Die, a fraud that would make even Bernie Madoff and Ken Lay blush. The greatest gain comes not so much from meeting shortages as it does from creating them  and exploiting them to the fullest.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

PBR did you miss my point naturally or did you have to work at it?

The point isn't if Japan and/or South Korea are high stress societies. The point is that people who want to kill themselves, for whatever reason(s) will do so. The availability of a firearm is not a factor.

No the US doesn't have bullet trains but most states that have large cities (Florida being one of them, and yes we're pushing for Open Carry here and DeSantis supports it--personally I want Constitutional Carry) have commuter rail. Just hop in front of one of those. No commuter rail? A freight train will do. Failing that any car or truck will do.

Still too messy? Raid granny's medicine cabinet and take all the pills. Find yourself a rope.

People who want to off themselves will do so. They can't be stopped really. And honestly I don't really want them to be stopped. The gene pool needs to be chlorinated from time to time.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your post because it is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat. You already know what I think in that regard or can at least guess at it if you're half as smart as you think you are.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(05-10-2019, 07:53 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: PBR did you miss my point naturally or did you have to work at it?

The point isn't if Japan and/or South Korea are high stress societies.  The point is that people who want to kill themselves, for whatever reason(s) will do so.  The availability of a firearm is not a factor.    

No the US doesn't have bullet trains but most states that have large cities (Florida being one of them, and yes we're pushing for Open Carry here and DeSantis supports it--personally I want Constitutional Carry) have commuter rail.  Just hop in front of one of those.  No commuter rail?  A freight train will do.  Failing that any car or truck will do.

Still too messy?  Raid granny's medicine cabinet and take all the pills.  Find yourself a rope.

People who want to off themselves will do so.  They can't be stopped really.  And honestly I don't really want them to be stopped.  The gene pool needs to be chlorinated from time to time.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your post because it is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.  You already know what I think in that regard or can at least guess at it if you're half as smart as you think you are.

I highlighted what is demonstrably wrong.  Most suicide attempts are regretted when they fail, and second attempts are rare.  Firearms almost entirely eliminate the potential for failure -- unlike every other method.  So yes, firearms are a huge continuing factor.   

This is well known by the CDC, among many other entities.  The CDC is banned from making this widely known to the less-informed 'many' by intense opposition from the NRA.  Go figure.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(05-10-2019, 07:53 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: PBR did you miss my point naturally or did you have to work at it?

If I did it was because you did not make it clear.

Quote:The point isn't if Japan and/or South Korea are high stress societies.  The point is that people who want to kill themselves, for whatever reason(s) will do so.  The availability of a firearm is not a factor.    

One of the most difficult jobs to hold is of a train engineer on a line that goes through the southern part of the San Francisco Bat area. High-school kids in some communities are under extreme parental stress to get top grades  so that they can succeed in life and not have to leave an area that has paradise qualities. Few people want to go from the San Francisco Bay area to a place with Russian winters, Dixie summers, and no scenery.  They do because the rents are so high in the San Francisco Bay Area that manufacturing industry is priced out. Sure, one might be able to get a job as a retail sales clerk or hospital orderly, but one must then live with parents indefinitely. Even school teachers are considered 'low income'. Kids who get bad grades in Silicon Valley often jump in front of the commuter train because the competition that allows people to come close to affording to live there is intense.    

OK, so they are high-school kids who can't imagine finding happiness in the Texas Panhandle as an auto mechanic, licensed vocational nurse, or janitor who can afford to live there -- if living means sharing an efficiency apartment with a complete stranger. Note well: we live in a culture that honors only material gain and indulgence, and Donald Trump exemplifies that ethos at its purest. He is not the cause: he is the symptom, as cirrhosis is a symptom of a life of heavy drinking.   

People often love the San Francisco Bay Area (including Silicon Valley) as they can love no other place in America. The only way in which to love the community in which I live is to know nothing else.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Quote:No the US doesn't have bullet trains but most states that have large cities (Florida being one of them, and yes we're pushing for Open Carry here and DeSantis supports it--personally I want Constitutional Carry) have commuter rail.  Just hop in front of one of those.  No commuter rail?  A freight train will do.  Failing that any car or truck will do.

Still too messy?  Raid granny's medicine cabinet and take all the pills.  Find yourself a rope.

This is potentially an unforgivable insult. If it is specific, then you need to be ousted from this Forum altogether. I have asked the moderator to remove people for urging people to commit suicide. You specifically know that I have had some recent troubles in life and few ways of solving them. Most of the jobs around here are either ill-paid farm labor, repetitive-motion jobs, or the sorts of work in which one must pretend that everything is wonderful even if one's life is a complete mess due to the poverty that comes with such work. 

Quote:People who want to off themselves will do so.  They can't be stopped really.  And honestly I don't really want them to be stopped.  The gene pool needs to be chlorinated from time to time.

Yes -- they can. There are ways in which to talk to potential suicides. Some need detox with a follow-up of of finding meaning in life without drugs and alcohol. Some need to get connected to people who care about others. Some need to lower their expectations and not see themselves as failures and losers. Some need to re-connect. Some need to find a reason to stay alive -- like to see a grandchild graduate. Some need an activity that offers them a sense of accomplishment. Maybe find a companion at the animal shelter who will force one to get one's mind off oneself.

Or do what I did in one bleak time, connect to something delightfully time-consuming

that will pull you through fear, shame, and doubt about whether life has meaning.

Improving the gene pool? The people who talk about that by eliminating 'losers' might want to eliminate -- you. You are black and homosexual, two counts that cause some people to dream of mowing you down by machine-gun fire or casting some cyanide pellets into a locked room in which other doomed people are condemned to death. Those people do not distinguish between you and the black losers that you excoriate. About a century ago the idea of better humanity through better breeding had the name eugenics. That pseudoscience has been largely discredited. Polish-Americans and Italian-Americans used to be seen almost always as scum. Polish-Americans are now the second-highest white group in socio-economic status in America, and Italian-Americans are surprisingly close.

By the way -- one thing that I find wrong with most white people is that successful white people do nothing to improve the lot of poor white people, victims of poor education and being in places with no economic opportunity. The white part of the ruling class has nothing to offer but bigger profits and lower taxes that can  do nothing for poor people of any kind. The black bourgeoisie and the Hispanic bourgeoisie seem to care more about poor people of their origin more than the white bourgeoisie seems to care about poor white people. To be sure, there is a National Association for the Advancement of White People -- but all that one needs know about it is that David DuKKKe founded it.

Quote:I'm not going to respond to the rest of your post because it is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.  You already know what I think in that regard or can at least guess at it if you're half as smart as you think you are.

I do not keep track of what I write here, and I doubt that you do so either about what you write.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-11-2019, 08:24 AM)David Horn Wrote:

The point isn't if Japan and/or South Korea are high stress societies.  The point is that people who want to kill themselves, for whatever reason(s) will do so.  The availability of a firearm is not a factor.    

No the US doesn't have bullet trains but most states that have large cities (Florida being one of them, and yes we're pushing for Open Carry here and DeSantis supports it--personally I want Constitutional Carry) have commuter rail.  Just hop in front of one of those.  No commuter rail?  A freight train will do.  Failing that any car or truck will do.

People who want to off themselves will do so.  They can't be stopped really.  And honestly I don't really want them to be stopped.  The gene pool needs to be chlorinated from time to time.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your post because it is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.  You already know what I think in that regard or can at least guess at it if you're half as smart as you think you are.

I highlighted what is demonstrably wrong.  Most suicide attempts are regretted when they fail, and second attempts are rare.  Firearms almost entirely eliminate the potential for failure -- unlike every other method.  So yes, firearms are a huge continuing factor.   

This is well known by the CDC, among many other entities.  The CDC is banned from making this widely known to the less-informed 'many' by intense opposition from the NRA.  Go figure.

Sauce or you're lying.  About both the CDC being banned from releasing this information or that the CDC even has statistics on how many people regret suicide attempts and can separate those who regret failing to kill themselves and those who actually regret attempting in the first place.

I'll wait.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
PBR...I wrote in vernacular English. I know you are familiar with that so I don't buy your excuse.

Having been to San Fran-shits-co I would trade being anywhere else than there. There is literal human excrement on the street like a third world country. Shit many third world countries are more hygienic! Want that city? You can have it.

(05-11-2019, 07:16 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: PBR...I wrote in vernacular English.  I know you are familiar with that so I don't buy your excuse.

You did not use it well. You left some ambiguity in meaning.

Quote:Having been to San (Francisco) I would trade being anywhere else than there.  There is literal human excrement on the street like a third world country.  ...many third world countries are more hygienic!  Want that city?  You can have it.

The problem is that people can get away with homelessness longer in San Francisco as they couldn't in many other parts of America. the climate is obvious enough; the only peril is a cold rain in the winter milder than practically anywhere else in the winter. So you contrast some fire-and-ice climates in the Midwest (Waterloo, Iowa has a record low of -4F and a record high of 100F both in April -- one could experience both frostbite and heatstroke in the same month, in theory!), and it is easy to see why homelessness is far more a horror in some places than others.

Many troubled people unhappy where they are have some idea of what San Francisco is -- a climatic paradise with much beauty -- and think that they might give it a chance. They can't afford the rent, and finding a public toilet is trouble. Many of those people are alcoholics or addicts if not insane, which means that relocating isn't so easy for them as it looks. So after they get caught for some petty offense like shoplifting or public urination they are questioned about where they came from and are usually sent back to some place where they have relatives.

It is possible for a Third World City (let us say Pyongyang or Havana) to be hygienic -- if the political system is repressive. Enough said!

(05-11-2019, 07:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Sauce or you're lying.  About both the CDC being banned from releasing this information or that the CDC even has statistics on how many people regret suicide attempts and can separate those who regret failing to kill themselves and those who actually regret attempting in the first place.

I'll wait.

It's hard to impossible to prove, especially when the CDC and NIMH are run by the firearms-friendly Trump administration. I went to several websites for both, and the hints were there but nothing firm. Dissing the boss is a good way to derail your career.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(05-12-2019, 03:05 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 07:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Sauce or you're lying.  About both the CDC being banned from releasing this information or that the CDC even has statistics on how many people regret suicide attempts and can separate those who regret failing to kill themselves and those who actually regret attempting in the first place.

I'll wait.

It's hard to impossible to prove, especially when the CDC and NIMH are run by the firearms-friendly Trump administration.  I went to several websites for both, and the hints were there but nothing firm.  Dissing the boss is a good way to derail your career.

Or more likely you're pulling your "facts" from your ass.  Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is often the best solution.  In this case I can either believe that your actually went to several websites that you didn't bother to archive, accurately remembered the information there, and that there is a conspiracy in top levels of government to suppress that information;

Or alternatively you are just making shit up because it fits your world view.

You wouldn't be the first Boomer person I've encountered who likes truthiness over truth.

(05-12-2019, 11:28 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 07:16 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: PBR...I wrote in vernacular English.  I know you are familiar with that so I don't buy your excuse.

Quote:Having been to San (Francisco) I would trade being anywhere else than there.  There is literal human excrement on the street like a third world country.  ...many third world countries are more hygienic!  Want that city?  You can have it.

The problem is that people can get away with homelessness longer in San Francisco as they couldn't in many other parts of America. the climate is obvious enough; the only peril is a cold rain in the winter milder than practically anywhere else in the winter. So you contrast some fire-and-ice climates in the Midwest (Waterloo, Iowa has a record low of -4F and a record high of 100F both in April -- one could experience both frostbite and heatstroke in the same month, in theory!), and it is easy to see why homelessness is far more a horror in some places than others.

Many troubled people unhappy where they are have some idea of what San Francisco is -- a climatic paradise with much beauty -- and think that they might give it a chance. They can't afford the rent, and finding a public toilet is trouble. Many of those people are alcoholics or addicts if not insane, which means that relocating isn't so easy for them as it looks. So after they get caught for some petty offense like shoplifting or public urination they are questioned about where they came from and are usually sent back to some place where they have relatives.

It is possible for a Third World City (let us say Pyongyang or Havana) to be hygienic -- if the political system is repressive. Enough said!

No I was very clear.  "Firearms are not a factor in suicide rates." Is extremely clear.  You either don't have the intellectual capacity to understand that or you deliberately decided to run off on some tangent that sounded good in your mind without regard to the clarity of my statement.  On the one hand this makes you an idiot, on the other it makes you duplicitous.

As for San Francisco...I would argue that the reason people get away with homlessness there longer is because the city actively encourages it.  Miami Florida has a far more pleasant climate than San Francisco ever thought about having not getting below 60 degrees even in winter.  It also is far more beautiful than San Francisco--I've been to both cities so I know.  So what is the difference?  The difference is in the political attatude in the city.  In Miami homelessness simply isn't tolerated.  Neither is shitting in the street.  Nor is open use of drugs in the streets. All of which San Francisco tolerates, almost accepts.

As for public toilets, Miami also has those.  I'm a firm believer that the US should have more public facilities like Europe has, it would increase over all general happiness and could be (and should be) administered locally.

I can't speak for California but in Florida the mentally ill that are arrested can and are often Baker Acted if they are thought to be a danger to themselves or others. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act

I'd argue that shit in the streets of San Fran-shits-co is the direct result of the policies pursued by the city in question and the Republic of California.  What a difference being in a blue or red state can make.

Since you've never left the US, and I have, I've been to many countries in Latin America.  Unfortunately Cuba is not one of them.  They have made it a point to provide public latrines to control infectious disease.  Human effluent in the streets is a hazard to everyone because the material in question could be very infectious (not to mention disgusting).  Even India (notorious for their designated shitting streets) has initiated a national campaign to provide public latrines to their large population.

I can't speak for the DPRK but both Cuba and Vietnam made it a point to provide their populations with at least a "village toilet" as part of their socialist/national liberation movements.  I'm not sure that their governments did this out of the kindness of their hearts but rather realizing that a population that is infected with diseases and parasites because of human effluent being improperly handled decreases productivity and general health.

(05-12-2019, 08:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 11:28 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

No I was very clear.  "Firearms are not a factor in suicide rates." Is extremely clear.  You either don't have the intellectual capacity to understand that or you deliberately decided to run off on some tangent that sounded good in your mind without regard to the clarity of my statement.  On the one hand this makes you an idiot, on the other it makes you duplicitous.

As for San Francisco...I would argue that the reason people get away with homlessness there longer is because the city actively encourages it.  Miami Florida has a far more pleasant climate than San Francisco ever thought about having not getting below 60 degrees even in winter.  It also is far more beautiful than San Francisco--I've been to both cities so I know.  So what is the difference?  The difference is in the political attatude in the city.  In Miami homelessness simply isn't tolerated.  Neither is shitting in the street.  Nor is open use of drugs in the streets. All of which San Francisco tolerates, almost accepts.

As for public toilets, Miami also has those.  I'm a firm believer that the US should have more public facilities like Europe has, it would increase over all general happiness and could be (and should be) administered locally.

I can't speak for California but in Florida the mentally ill that are arrested can and are often Baker Acted if they are thought to be a danger to themselves or others. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act

I'd argue that shit in the streets of San (Francisco) is the direct result of the policies pursued by the city in question and the Republic of California.  What a difference being in a blue or red state can make.

Since you've never left the US, and I have, I've been to many countries in Latin America.  Unfortunately Cuba is not one of them.  They have made it a point to provide public latrines to control infectious disease.  Human effluent in the streets is a hazard to everyone because the material in question could be very infectious (not to mention disgusting).  Even India (notorious for their designated shitting streets) has initiated a national campaign to provide public latrines to their large population.

I can't speak for the DPRK but both Cuba and Vietnam made it a point to provide their populations with at least a "village toilet" as part of their socialist/national liberation movements.  I'm not sure that their governments did this out of the kindness of their hearts but rather realizing that a population that is infected with diseases and parasites because of human effluent being improperly handled decreases productivity and general health.

I understand that Florida is to be avoided in the summer. Heat and humidity cause me to wilt.

In America it is assumed that businesses supply toilet facilities for the convenience and need of customers. But the homeless, often identifiable for being disheveled and reeking of offensive orders are not welcome in a restaurant, store, service station, etc. It is eminently understandable that business owners do not want the homeless stinking up the place -- let alone shoplifting or ordering food and stiffing the restaurant. I'd want such people out of my business if I owned it, just as I would want someone shouting profanities, racial slurs, and other offensive language. Behave yourself or I would call the cops. What I hear happens is that someone who ends up in San Francisco with no means of support gets taken off to the county jail and is asked where he has his closest relatives. Should such be Green Bay, Wisconsin, then that is where one goes even if it is -30F in Packers country.

Social darwinism is part of the American way of life, especially when the political pendulum swings to the right.

Well that's good for me then.  It keeps you out of my beloved state--but Florida's heat and humidity are vastly over stated if one stays close to the coast.  Maybe fortunately the only view some get of Florida is Orlando which smack dab in the middle of the peninsula and thus subject to all the heat and all the humidity once the summer monsoon starts.  Historically what kept the population low was malaria rather than the climate.  The climate is rather nice in coastal Volusia county.

One of the reasons why I believe that local governments should provide public comfort facilities--along with other means to increase pedestrian use, mixed use zoning and reducing car dependency.  Though this has less to do with politics and more to do with urban planning.  

As to the homeless here is what we know does not work as far as dealing with them...providing them services.  Cities that do end up with large concentrations of them.  Cities that don't they disappear, or at least are very good at hiding.  As for Social Darwinism...I think the problem is America isn't Darwinist enough socially.

(05-12-2019, 07:48 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 03:05 PM)David Horn Wrote:

It's hard to impossible to prove, especially when the CDC and NIMH are run by the firearms-friendly Trump administration.  I went to several websites for both, and the hints were there but nothing firm.  Dissing the boss is a good way to derail your career.

Or more likely you're pulling your "facts" from your ass.  Occam's Razor says the simplest solution is often the best solution.  In this case I can either believe that your actually went to several websites that you didn't bother to archive, accurately remembered the information there, and that there is a conspiracy in top levels of government to suppress that information;

Or alternatively you are just making shit up because it fits your world view.

You wouldn't be the first Boomer person I've encountered who likes truthiness over truth.

OK, here's a bit of inside baseball by a former CDC investigator and, oddly enough, gun enthusiast.  She's written several articles on the subject, all with the same general spin: the CDC, and NIMH also, fail to investigate things that may get them defunded.  It will be interesting to see whether that's still the case if the NRA continues to collapse under it's ongoing scandals.
Yawn. You know that PRI is a Democratic Front right? Not impressed with Political Propaganda being Political Propaganda.

As to the NRA that is less of a scandal and more of a cash flow problem. Not surprising really since with Boomers largely in charge currently the corporate money goes to Democratic Causes. The fact that the Washington Compost is the largest contributor of articles on the subject according to Duck Duck Go I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't also propaganda.

(05-13-2019, 11:29 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: Yawn.  You know that PRI is a Democratic Front right?  Not impressed with Political Propaganda being Political Propaganda.  

As to the NRA that is less of a scandal and more of a cash flow problem.  Not surprising really since with Boomers largely in charge currently the corporate money goes to Democratic Causes.  The fact that the Washington Compost is the largest contributor of articles on the subject according to Duck Duck Go I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't also propaganda.

The Narodni Rifle Association is accused of funneling money from Russian sources into American politics, which if true is illegal activity that should take it down. Scandals in non-profit organizations (think of USA Gymnastics, which is about something very different) destroy such organizations because they disrupt the cash flow. Cash flow is the lifeblood of any organization, whether a for-profit or non-profit enterprise. Remember that most gun owners are patriots who still do not trust foreign countries.

Your idol has clay feet, Much as I disliked Ronald Reagan for his agenda in the 1980s, I now recognize that he had competent people around him who could redirect him when he started to go too far. Donald Trump surrounds himself with yes-men who can never say no to him, which ensures that if he goes too far in one way or another that nothing will stop him except for overpowering force. I may have seen him as excessively chauvinist in his nationalism, but in view of Donald Trump and his questionable loyalty I will take Reagan's national chauvinism any day.

Changing the subject to reflect another post of yours:

...I have never been in Florida (the closest was either Houston or Great Smoky Mountains National Park). I did live in northeastern Arkansas as a child and in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as a young adult, and my observation humid heat hits me harder than dry heat. I question whether the heat and humidity of Florida in the summer is any worse than that of northeastern Arkansas or southeastern Missouri (the latter, "Mississippi North" -- yuck!). Summer weather in Dallas alternated between Arizona-style heat (Tucson if not Phoenix) and "Dixie" heat, and I can assure you that 100F with low humidity is far more tolerable than 90F with high humidity. For the dry heat, wear a hat and keep hydrated -- do your grocery shopping at night, and never rely upon outside parking. In my case, I must use a high-SPF sunscreen, but I need do that in Michigan when the temperature gets above 65F, too, on a sunny day.

How tolerable is dry heat? I could rely upon ceiling fans in Dallas until Memorial Day or so.

(05-13-2019, 11:29 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: Yawn.  You know that PRI is a Democratic Front right?  Not impressed with Political Propaganda being Political Propaganda.  

As to the NRA that is less of a scandal and more of a cash flow problem.  Not surprising really since with Boomers largely in charge currently the corporate money goes to Democratic Causes.  The fact that the Washington Compost is the largest contributor of articles on the subject according to Duck Duck Go I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't also propaganda.

She's freelance.  Find her at the Dallas News, if that's more your style.  Then again, as Mike noted, you've cite some totally wacko sources in the past, so pot -- kettle -- black.
Here's a fairly good guide on sorting out bias and reliability versus unreliability:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

(05-13-2019, 12:33 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

The Narodni Rifle Association is accused of funneling money from Russian sources into American politics, which if true is illegal activity that should take it down. Scandals in non-profit organizations (think of USA Gymnastics, which is about something very different) destroy such organizations because they disrupt the cash flow. Cash flow is the lifeblood of any organization, whether a for-profit or non-profit enterprise. Remember that most gun owners are patriots who still do not trust foreign countries.

Your idol has clay feet, Much as I disliked Ronald Reagan for his agenda in the 1980s, I now recognize that he had competent people around him who could redirect him when he started to go too far. Donald Trump surrounds himself with yes-men who can never say no to him, which ensures that if he goes too far in one way or another that nothing will stop him except for overpowering force. I may have seen him as excessively chauvinist in his nationalism, but in view of Donald Trump and his questionable loyalty I will take Reagan's national chauvinism any day.

Changing the subject to reflect another post of yours:

...I have never been in Florida (the closest was either Houston or Great Smoky Mountains National Park). I did live in northeastern Arkansas as a child and in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as a young adult, and my observation humid heat hits me harder than dry heat. I question whether the heat and humidity of Florida in the summer is any worse than that of northeastern Arkansas or southeastern Missouri (the latter, "Mississippi North" -- yuck!). Summer weather in Dallas alternated between Arizona-style heat (Tucson if not Phoenix) and "Dixie" heat, and I can assure you that 100F with low humidity is far more tolerable than 90F with high humidity. For the dry heat, wear a hat and keep hydrated -- do your grocery shopping at night, and never rely upon outside parking. In my case, I must use a high-SPF sunscreen, but I need do that in Michigan when the temperature gets above 65F, too, on a sunny day.

How tolerable is dry heat? I could rely upon ceiling fans in Dallas until Memorial Day or so.

Yawn  More Muh Russia nonsense.  Funny you Blues were all about Russia when it was communist.  I'm not impressed with Mr. Horn's sources.  Or the Dallas Gazette either which for all I know is just an other dying Democrat rag.  And accusations are just that.  If someone has evidence bring it to court or they are doing nothing but slandering.  And there is a lot of slander--or perhaps in this case libel going on and it is coming from the left.

Makes me wonder if Muh Russia-Gate is a matter of projection again.

I've found that dry heat is more tolerable than humid heat, but not by much.  110F is still 110F but you can beat the heat more effectively by wearing clothing and if necessary wetting them--or simply waiting for night to cool things down.  Humidity sort of traps the heat.  That being said Florida is unique from the rest of the south in that nearly all of it is coastal in climate and benefits from the moderating effects of the Gulf and the Atlantic.  On days it gets too hot the kid and I pack up the truck and go surfing.

(05-13-2019, 10:28 PM)inser79 Wrote: Yawn  More Muh Russia nonsense.  Funny you Blues were all about Russia when it was communist.  I'm not impressed with Mr. Horn's sources.  Or the Dallas Gazette either which for all I know is just an other dying Democrat rag.  And accusations are just that.  If someone has evidence bring it to court or they are doing nothing but slandering.  And there is a lot of slander--or perhaps in this case libel going on and it is coming from the left.

The reference was to the Dallas Morning News, one of the most conservative large-circulation newspapers of a giant American city. Printed newspapers and magazines everywhere may be a dying technology as mews on newsprint becomes more costly than news through other means. I think also of brick-and-mortar stores for anything other than groceries, motor fuel, greeting cards, lottery tickets, liquor, and cancerweed products.

As for Russia --the Soviet Union was becoming more economically and technologically backward in contrast to the West, but many of us liberals thought glasnost and perestroika good ideas for modernizing the Soviet Union politically and technologically. But that short window of time, when the Soviet Union was making baby steps toward markets and general openness, did not last. Russia got a taste of democracy -- but that is over. Russia is run by oligarchs and has a single-party system as rigid as that of China. It is now right-wingers who especially love Russia.

Quote:Makes me wonder if Muh Russia-Gate is a matter of projection again.

If only it were not true.

Quote:I've found that dry heat is more tolerable than humid heat, but not by much.  110F is still 110F but you can beat the heat more effectively by wearing clothing and if necessary wetting them--or simply waiting for night to cool things down.  Humidity sort of traps the heat.  That being said Florida is unique from the rest of the south in that nearly all of it is coastal in climate and benefits from the moderating effects of the Gulf and the Atlantic.  On days it gets too hot the kid and I pack up the truck and go surfing.

OK. I know the tricks, like never go out barefoot in anything resembling summer weather by Midwestern standards. (OK, I was in Dallas, and the fire ants were savage, which was another reason to never go out unshod). Drink water, water, and more water. Never buy a car with a dark interior.

(05-13-2019, 11:28 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 10:28 PM)inser79 Wrote: Yawn  More Muh Russia nonsense.  Funny you Blues were all about Russia when it was communist.  I'm not impressed with Mr. Horn's sources.  Or the Dallas Gazette either which for all I know is just an other dying Democrat rag.  And accusations are just that.  If someone has evidence bring it to court or they are doing nothing but slandering.  And there is a lot of slander--or perhaps in this case libel going on and it is coming from the left.

The reference was to the Dallas Morning News, one of the most conservative large-circulation newspapers of a giant American city. Printed newspapers and magazines everywhere may be a dying technology as mews on newsprint becomes more costly than news through other means. I think also of brick-and-mortar stores for anything other than groceries, motor fuel, greeting cards, lottery tickets, liquor, and cancerweed products.

As for Russia --the Soviet Union was becoming more economically and technologically backward in contrast to the West, but many of us liberals thought glasnost and perestroika good ideas for modernizing the Soviet Union politically and technologically. But that short window of time, when the Soviet Union was making baby steps toward markets and general openness, did not last. Russia got a taste of democracy -- but that is over. Russia is run by oligarchs and has a single-party system as rigid as that of China. It is now right-wingers who especially love Russia.

I find that retail itself is pretty much dying in the traditional sense. Also I'm not convinced that this newspaper is "conservative" because you say it is. I have a subscription to a paper too. I find it necessary from time to time to line my cats' litter boxes and the Orlando Sentenal does a very good job in that reguard, it also provides free wraping paper for gifts, is good for cleaning windows and can be used to wipe one's ass in a pinch. The trick is to not use the shiny paper--that shit is worthless for those practical applications.

As for getting news...I have other sources.

Having been to Russia, it is still far to the left of the US in many reguards (and yes I've been there recently). Glastnost and Peristroika were a backward attempt to modernize Russia. Gorbachev if he was serious about preserving the Union should have focused on the economy first and then liberalized politically when and where necessary like Deng did in China, and like Kim seems to be attempting to do in the DPRK.

Laos and Vietnam never really constructed or attempted to construct socialism, their system is communist in name only and mostly a relic of the Cold War anyway and their economies are quite liberal if their politics are not.

I'm using liberal in the 19th century sense and not the retarded way the American Left has hijacked that word for their own purposes.

As for the Right liking Russia now...there is much to like about Putin's Russia. Starting with it is stable, and well run, and that he's been actively promoting both Russian Culture and Russian Orthodoxy (which is only a real problem for the evangelicals who have a thing about anything remotely like Catholicism)

Quote:
Quote:Makes me wonder if Muh Russia-Gate is a matter of projection again.

If only it were not true.

It isn't. The Mueller report was a big giant nothing burger and Rachel Meddow who did nothing but promote Muh Russia-Gate for two years has egg on her face. Maybe you need glasses so that you can see it. Want me to google an optometrist for you?

Quote:
Quote:I've found that dry heat is more tolerable than humid heat, but not by much.  110F is still 110F but you can beat the heat more effectively by wearing clothing and if necessary wetting them--or simply waiting for night to cool things down.  Humidity sort of traps the heat.  That being said Florida is unique from the rest of the south in that nearly all of it is coastal in climate and benefits from the moderating effects of the Gulf and the Atlantic.  On days it gets too hot the kid and I pack up the truck and go surfing.

OK. I know the tricks, like never go out barefoot in anything resembling summer weather by Midwestern standards. (OK, I was in Dallas, and the fire ants were savage, which was another reason to never go out unshod). Drink water, water, and more water. Never buy a car with a dark interior.

I go barefoot all the time outside. Personally I find shoes to be largely uncomfortable and confining--though society expect them to be worn so when I can get away with it...sandals. Personally I like the "Jesus" type as I find flop flops to flip-flopity. You should drink plenty of water reguardless the weather. I vape so that is even more important now...glycerol and propylene glycol are both dehydrating. Also due to the heat sweating and such. Still much better than smoking though. Dr. says I have the lungs of someone who never smoked now. So long term effects of vaping apparently are clear lungs.

As for dark interiors...depends. Usually you can get away with cloth interiors in dark colors, leather not so much. In fact leather not so much no matter the color of the leather. Also dark window tint helps but you don't like pimpmobiles so....probably not for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Authoritarianism on the Rise Eric the Green 17 4,844 06-30-2021, 12:53 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Rise Of Tribalism, Racism & Bigotry Most Associated With Which Turning & Why? TheNomad 38 16,183 05-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  The Rise of the Weaponized AI Propaganda Machine Odin 4 2,701 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a