Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backlash against Speech
All the news indicates that there has been a backlash against Melania Trump's speech. It is said to have plagiarized Michelle Obama's speech.
The side by side comparison shows it very clearly was a lift of Michelle's 2008 speech. Did Melania do that? Not likely she could write a coherent speech so probably not. Did the Trump team's speech writers do that? You bet they did! This is not good for the Donald as it shows the Trump operation to be sloppy, and every minute the media and the public pay attention to the nude model's speech, is time away from what the Donald would like everyone to focus on.
There was never any good old days
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
       -- Eugene Hutz
(07-19-2016, 12:51 PM)Skabungus Wrote: The side by side comparison shows it very clearly was a lift of Michelle's 2008 speech. Did Melania do that? Not likely she could write a coherent speech so probably not. Did the Trump team's speech writers do that? You bet they did! This is not good for the Donald as it shows the Trump operation to be sloppy, and every minute the media and the public pay attention to the nude model's speech, is time away from what the Donald would like everyone to focus on.

According to CBS, even Trump said that he was "glad" that she put "a few thoughts of her own" into "her" speech. Gimme a bleepin break.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Trump Did NOT Plagiarize Michelle Obama’s Speech And This Is Why…

The accusation is that Melania Trump “plagiarized” a speech made by Michelle Obama in 2008. Well I’m sorry liberals, she did not.

Here are the comments from Michelle Obama in 2008:

And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Melania Trump's Speech

From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond, that you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to or son. And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Did Melania use a few sentences that were similar to Michelle Obama’s speech? Sure, but that is common. ALL First Lady speeches resonate the same universal concepts.

The fact is, you can go back and look at Laura Bush’s speech, Nancy Reagan, and even Hillary when she was first lady and find the same type of comments.

In a speech Hillary Clinton gave in 2014 for the New American foundation. Hillary spoke of the same values saying,

” my mother and father gave us a middle-class life with opportunities she never could have imagined for herself but which she always believed could be possible for her children. And that was a great gift that I will be forever grateful for, and then Bill and I of course worked hard to pass on those values to our daughter.”

(In other words, passing on values to the next generation, like Michelle Obama said in 2008.)

Laura Bush said in her 2004 RNC speech,

“If you’re determined and you want to work hard, you can do anything you want to. That’s the beautiful thing about America.”

(The same concept of Michelle Obama’s speech in 2008.)

Even Ann Romney’s speech hit the same notes in 2012

“Mitt will be the first to tell you that he is the most fortunate man in the world. He had two loving parents who gave him strong values and taught him the value of work.”

Hillary is actually the biggest offender when it comes to plagiarism, she plagiarized Bernie Sanders so often that the hashtag ‪#‎StealTheBern‬ was born.

Obama plagiarized Bush nearly word for word in 2014, but the liberal media didn’t seem to have a problem with that.

Every 4 years, a first lady, or potential first lady, stands on stage at their convention and talks about the same subjects: upbringing, values and family.

In fact, 90% of what we hear this week will probably be rehashed and resaid at the DNC. They’ll just spin it around to be all about race, class warfare, illegal immigrants and insulting police, of course.

Source: DC Gazette
(07-19-2016, 09:19 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Please face the facts. There are way too many exact phrases from the M. Obama speech which showed up in the M. Trump one. It is not a coincidence. It is, however, a farce, moving towards a tragedy. A tragedy for the Party of Lincoln and a tragedy for the USA.

I'd like to see another candidate's spouse...  Bill Clinton... come out and quote the same speech at the Democratic convention, then have Michelle Obama come out of the wings and call him on it.  They could launch into a half serious half comedy version of the difference between Republican and Democratic values.  The American way of getting ahead is to immigrate from the old country...  and marry a millionaire.  The American way of getting ahead is to start out with a million or so loan from one's father...
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(07-19-2016, 03:56 PM)Danilynn Wrote: Trump Did NOT Plagiarize Michelle Obama’s Speech And This Is Why…

The accusation is that Melania Trump “plagiarized” a speech made by Michelle Obama in 2008. Well I’m sorry liberals, she did not.

And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don’t know them, and even if you don’t agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Melania Trump's Speech

From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life. That your word is your bond, that you do what you say and keep your promise. That you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life. That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to or son. And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow. Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.

Did Melania use a few sentences that were similar to Michelle Obama’s speech? Sure, but that is common. ALL First Lady speeches resonate the same universal concepts.

HorseshXt.

Even a third grader plagiarizing a classmate's stick drawing of running with her dog  would recognize the need to change the dog to a cat if everyone knows he doesn't own a dog.

The side-by-side video makes it pretty darn apparent except to perhaps the most brainless Trump supporter -

(07-19-2016, 10:01 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 09:19 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Please face the facts. There are way too many exact phrases from the M. Obama speech which showed up in the M. Trump one. It is not a coincidence. It is, however, a farce, moving towards a tragedy. A tragedy for the Party of Lincoln and a tragedy for the USA.

I'd like to see another candidate's spouse...  Bill Clinton... come out and quote the same speech at the Democratic convention, then have Michelle Obama come out of the wings and call him on it.  They could launch into a half serious half comedy version of the difference between Republican and Democratic values.  The American way of getting ahead is to immigrate from the old country...  and marry a millionaire.  The American way of getting ahead is to start out with a million or so loan from one's father...

Wow, that would not only be hilarious but it would be a devastating way to continue painting the GOP convention as a disaster.

You should be on the DNC convention planning team!
(07-20-2016, 09:07 AM)playwrite Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 10:01 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:

Wow, that would not only be hilarious but it would be a devastating way to continue painting the GOP convention as a disaster.

You should be on the DNC convention planning team!

It all depends on what your definition of 'plagiarism' is.  Wink
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Interesting. Melania stated that she discussed the speech with the speech writer on the phone. The speech writer asked Melania if there were ideas from other speeches she wanted to capture. Melania said "yes, I like some of what Michelle Obama said" and proceeded to read Mrs. Obama's speech over the phone to her. The speech writer wrote it down and included it in the speech Melania was to deliver. Melaina then delivered the speech which contained the very words she read over the phone to the speech writer.

1. Speech writer KNEW they were Michelle Obama's words because Melania told her that when she read them to the speech writer over the phone.
2. Speech writer pleads guilty to not having vetted the words to see if they were taken from another source speech (DOH! she already knew they were)
3. Melania gets up and knowing delivers them.

Dafuq! There is no way of getting around it! Melania and the speech writer were both fully aware of what they were doing and had the hubris (or idiocy) to think nobody would notice.

My nightly prayer is that GOP, Trumps et al will continue to defend their "it's not plagiarism honest!!!" position to the bitter end. It's a lot like when my 3 yr. old son drew pictures on the wall in our hallway and, with a crayon in his hand pleaded "no daddy, idinnitdoit!!!!"
       -- Eugene Hutz
But shouldn't we be far more concerned with the fact that the dresses worn by Melania Trump and Michelle Obama shown above were very likely both made in China?
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
Anthony Wrote:But shouldn't we be far more concerned with the fact that the dresses worn by Melania Trump and Michelle Obama shown above were very likely both made in China?

Frankly I am more concerned that said dresses don't show enough skin.
       -- Eugene Hutz
(07-20-2016, 09:03 AM)playwrite Wrote:

Those two are gorgeous. Hey, maybe we should make the race for president a beauty contest. Michele vs. Melania. Who would win? Makes about as much sense as what we have. Hey, maybe not. Trump would probably buy the contest. But Michele would probably win the talent competition. After all, she speaks her own words. Is plagiarism allowed in the talent competition?

Boy this site sure gets slow sometimes!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Trump campaign threw the speechwriter under the bus, but the speechwriter mentions that she works for the "Trump organization" and not the Trump campaign, i.e., she's a Trump corporation employee paid to do campaign work - very much ILLEGAL.

A FEC complaint has been filed -

Democratic PAC Files FEC Complaint Over Melania Trump's RNC Speech

The GOP convention is paying off like a slot machine - for the Democrats!

All partisanship aside, can you imagine this clown show running the government and our foreign affairs???

God help us.
(07-21-2016, 02:43 PM)playwrite Wrote: The Trump campaign threw the speechwriter under the bus, but the speechwriter mentions that she works for the "Trump organization" and not the Trump campaign, i.e., she's a Trump corporation employee paid to do campaign work - very much ILLEGAL.

A FEC complaint has been filed -

Democratic PAC Files FEC Complaint Over Melania Trump's RNC Speec

The GOP convention is paying off like a slot machine - for the Democrats!

All partisanship aside, can you imagine this clown show running the government and our foreign affairs???

God help us.

Imagine the number of people who have thought for years that the Republicans were all clowns—now it seems so more than ever!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
Lots of comments about the trophy wife's speech. A whole thread. None so far about The Donald's. What did you guys think about the blowhard's message tonight?

The PBS pundits called it dark and fearful, and less entertaining.

One thing I wonder about; maybe it's my memory, but what about Donald's speeches were "entertaining"? Wasn't it the insults and the taunts? If so, he had little choice but to be less "entertaining" tonight. (OH yeah, he also brags a lot too.)

(He even had the chance to cheer on the police as they removed a heckler; this time the champion of all hecklers, who I know personally and have seen time and again on TV doing her disruptive thing, and who I interviewed on my radio show when she ran for CA Senate on the Green Party ticket, Ms. Medea Benjamin; great and courageous lady! No worse for wear after all these years of heckling and disrupting!)

[Image: codepink.jpg]
[Image: atv-medea-benjamin.jpg?w=850]
[Image: medeas-book1.jpg?w=300&h=187]
https://acronymtv.wordpress.com/2014/09/...interview/
Here she is!
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...nce-speech
A little bit of 1968 Chicago there!
Code Pink Protester Interrupts Donald Trump's RNC Speech

I thought that, for his followers, and maybe some reluctant supporters, The Trumpian gave an impression of being a strong leader. If you do what he asks, and "believe" him, then maybe it works for them. He made lots of promises and set lots of goals that would be accomplished "now" and "fast." Very little about how to do them, especially considering that when you take even a brief look at these goals, you see they are contradictory. He says he will fix our rigged political system, dominated by special interests and cronies like himself; then a while later he says he wants to appoint another Scalia. Those two goals cancel each other out completely. He wants to give huge tax breaks, more than any other candidate Democrat OR Republican. Then he says he going to build airports, bridges, walls, roads. With what money? He proclaims himself the law and order candidate, says he's going to support the police, and that Obama doesn't, but instead is stirring up "division." Imagine him saying that! Then in the next breath he talks just like Obama. Everyone in America, even in Ferguson, deserves to be treated fairly, he says. Isn't that just what Obama said? He doubled down on blaming immigrants, putting out lie after lie, after declaring that he will tell nothing but the truth. His promise to renegotiate trade deals sounds good. But how is he going to do that all by himself, and after insulting those he would be dealing with? I think he thinks he can. Just as he says "the army will go along with whatever I tell them to do, believe me," even war crimes, maybe he thinks he can get congress to support the things it has opposed; like better trade deals, and even reducing college loan debt. How? By doing what he accused Obama of doing and ruling by fiat?

He sounded ponderous, and the speech was longer than any other acceptance speech ever. He did sound confident; that's not hard for him. But his tone of voice was angry, almost like Hitler. Not that bad, by any means, but still, it reminded me of him a bit. He asks his followers to believe him to be their "champion." We will win again. OK; he gives the impression of being able to convince people in power to do things. Maybe he can, at least sometimes. He says "I'm with you," instead of Hillary's "I'm with her." But it's not like the magic of JFK, who asked Americans to do things. No, he's going to do it for us. El Duce reincarnate, I say.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-20-2016, 09:03 AM)playwrite Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 03:56 PM)Danilynn Wrote: Trump Did NOT Plagiarize Michelle Obama’s Speech And This Is Why…

Melania Trump's Speech

HorseshXt.

Even a third grader plagiarizing a classmate's stick drawing of running with her dog  would recognize the need to change the dog to a cat if everyone knows he doesn't own a dog.

The side-by-side video makes it pretty darn apparent except to perhaps the most brainless Trump supporter -

In the greater scheme of things, who cares?
When you're over here and you hear the same carp for 35 or 40 years, there is no need to "listen" to what I already know they are going to say. Same old trickle-down nonsense. Same o prejudice. Same o stuff over and over. There's no idealism on the other side; sorry Tara.

For example, see if you can recognize someone in this video making the typical trickle-down argument. A hint; he spoke last night too. see about 6:30

Same-o same-o, for 35 years. Who needs to listen? They need to be defeated. For good. We need new parties, and a new system.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-22-2016, 12:53 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 12:42 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: When you're over here and you hear the same carp for 35 or 40 years, there is no need to "listen" to what I already know they are going to say. Same old trickle-down nonsense. Same o prejudice. Same o stuff over and over. There's no idealism on the other side; sorry Tara.

For example, see if you can recognize someone in this video making the typical trickle-down argument. A hint; he spoke last night. see about 6:30

Same-o same-o, for 35 years. Who needs to listen? They need to be defeated. For good. We need new parties, and a new system.
Are they ALL prejudiced though? I have listened to some of them and they say no they are not. They may stand with the repubs for other reasons. They are not all clones of each other I am sure. Do you know that I was called a racist just because i want to simply listen to the other side? I want to listen to understand the individuals rather than label them all as racists or prejudiced etc. The fact i was labeled a racist simply for listening tells me it has gotten so bad over there that one push is all that is needed for your country to tear itself apart completely. I am genuinely concerned about the labels the smears and the polarization. Do you realize that is partly what is radicalizing both sides?

No, it's not. What is radicalizing both sides are real problems. We have a stagnant economy, foreign terrorists, pollution, people who can't get ahead here anymore. Real problems. And a government that cannot act, because of people stuck in ideologies, and the power of money. But one side has some real answers, while the other side is causing the problems.

What we need to be concerned about, are politicians who use thinly-veiled racism and xenophobia to get people to vote for them, because people are hurting economically or don't like changes, and don't read a lot, and can be hoodwinked into voting for these politicians because of their fears and prejudices instead of supporting candidates who actually have policies that bring progress and solve problems. Somehow people need to get informed about what the real problems are, so they don't support the wrong politicians because of their knee-jerk reactions.

If Trump can't even run a convention any better than this, with among other things, a plagiarized speech by your own wife, how can he run the White House, let alone America?

I say, any Trump bashing is 1000% in the national interest. We need to bash him so bad that his small fingers bleed. We need to bash and smash him into absolute oblivion. No, there's nothing to be gained by "listening" to Trump and his supporters. We already have listened. I bleepin listened to him for 73 minutes straight tonight! There is nothing new to hear. WE HAVE HEARD IT ALL; EVERY LAST BIT OF IT!! It's time to defeat him, and the GOP. I don't like insulting people, and I usually don't. But someone running for president has to be called on for his lies and his nonsense and his failure and smokescreen! Watch that John Oliver show; get to know what we are dealing with here. It's nothing like you have to deal with in NZ.

Polarization is not the problem. The problem is those on the wrong side. Being in the middle is not necessarily being in the truth.

Did you watch the video? Did you see who I mean?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-22-2016, 02:21 AM)taramarie Wrote: For trickle down to work companies need to increase wages so that everyone benefits from it. Not just the rich.

That's right. And in case you missed it, the guy I refer to defending trickle-down economics in the Maddow video, is Mike Pence-- just nominated for vice president by Trump and the Republicans.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 708 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Sen. Josh Hawley isn't a censorship victim, he's a free speech menace Adar 6 1,899 03-09-2021, 05:53 PM
Last Post: stillretired
  Lynching Free Speech: The Intolerant State of America theory 6 3,588 02-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Last Post: theory
  State of the Union Speech, 2018 pbrower2a 1 1,444 01-30-2018, 10:57 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Free speech is a concept unknown by politicians nebraska 0 1,050 12-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Recent Assaults Against Freedom of Speech and the Press gabrielle 13 7,506 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Odin
  Governor Mario Cuomo 1984 DNC Speech Dan '82 0 1,168 07-19-2016, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Dan '82
  Nixon's 1968 RNC Acceptance Speech Dan '82 0 1,333 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Dan '82