Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Mugabe resigns
Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s longstanding authoritarian president, agreed to step down on Tuesday, according to the speaker of the nation’s parliament.

The announcement comes a little less than a week after the country’s military seized power, setting in motion an end to the 37-year rule of the world’s oldest serving president.

Impeachment proceedings against Mugabe had already begun early Tuesday, but the speaker of parliament read a letter to lawmakers later in the day that he said came from the president and offered a formal resignation.

“I, Robert Gabriel Mugabe, in terms of section 96 of the constitution of Zimbabwe, hereby formally tender my resignation,” the speaker said, reading from what he said was Mugabe’s letter.

from the Huffington Post.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Thanks for some good news for a change, Mr. Brower Smile

We'll see if good comes out of it or not, though.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
In regards to the late Robert Mugabe, if Zimbabwe is on the same saeculum as South Africa, being current in an Awakening starting around 2012. Then a Mugabe would have a Prophet, along with Ian Smith who was Prime Minister of Rhodesia during the Zimbabwe War of Liberation. Also, Mugabe would be an example of a old Prophet survive long enough to rule in an Awakening.
It looks to me like Zimbabwe has crises ending in the 1890s and 1980. That could still place it in a current awakening, but would make Mugabe a reactive rather than an Idealist. His being a reactive would be consistent with his corrupt and despotic rule.
Also, if this means an unravelling is going to start in the next decade in Africa, we may finally see them acting as the next low labor cost area and lifting their living standards.
(12-06-2019, 04:30 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: It looks to me like Zimbabwe has crises ending in the 1890s and 1980.  That could still place it in a current awakening, but would make Mugabe a reactive rather than an Idealist.  His being a reactive would be consistent with his corrupt and despotic rule.

I cant imagine Zimbabwe or anywhere else in Southern Africa, being on a different saeculum than South Africa.

Since I have studied Southern African history back to the 19th century and it seems to me that the turnings all across the region were happening at approximately at the same time.  For example; the Mfecane period (1818-1828) of upheaval following the revolution which made the Zulu kingdom into a formable power, affected much of Southern Africa including Zimbabwe. 

Also, I argue through observations (from speaking to friends who live in Nigeria and Uganda) by myself and another person who used to post on the Old Fourth Turning. There is good evidence that much of Sub-Saharan Africa is on roughly the same saeculum as South Africa, with their Awakenings only starting in the 2010s and their Prophet generations being seen as those born in the 1990s.
(12-05-2019, 11:18 PM)Teejay Wrote: In regards to the late Robert Mugabe, if Zimbabwe is on the same saeculum as South Africa, being current in an Awakening starting around 2012. Then a Mugabe would have a Prophet

Would explain why he didn't understand anything about practice and never doubted himself, even after he obviously wrecked the country.