Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Account pruning
(01-09-2018, 11:03 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 12:46 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: I've reviewed "Nebraska's" posts.  It seems to me that he is in the same vein of Scholar.  Posting a link and leaving it there.  Were this my forum I'd call it spam and delete all the threads and warn the user(s) who did that--alas it is not.  Perhaps we should have such a rule that simply posting a link to an article or story is spam unless the OP tells us why we should even bother to click the link to read the article or story in question.  Just my 2 microbitcoins.

They are the same person, of course.  I agree that this person is a spammer, but only the moderator can fix that.

I think calling them the same person is presumptious unless you have IP logs to prove that they are.  But yes, I do consider creating threads with just a link in the OP without a reason as to click that link to be spam. 

On other forums that I've moderated in the past, usually, warning the offender corrected the behavior.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(01-09-2018, 08:55 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 12:46 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: I've reviewed "Nebraska's" posts.  It seems to me that he is in the same vein of Scholar.  Posting a link and leaving it there.  Were this my forum I'd call it spam and delete all the threads and warn the user(s) who did that--alas it is not.  Perhaps we should have such a rule that simply posting a link to an article or story is spam unless the OP tells us why we should even bother to click the link to read the article or story in question.  Just my 2 microbitcoins.

They are the same person, of course.  I agree that this person is a spammer, but only the moderator can fix that.

I think calling them the same person is presumptious unless you have IP logs to prove that they are.  But yes, I do consider creating threads with just a link in the OP without a reason as to click that link to be spam.

One disappears and the other appears miraculously at the same point in time.  IP tracing seems unnecessary

Kinser Wrote:On other forums that I've moderated in the past, usually, warning the offender corrected the behavior.

Tried.  Failed.  I believe he's too young to get it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-10-2018, 01:09 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 08:55 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

One disappears and the other appears miraculously at the same point in time.  IP tracing seems unnecessary

Suspicious but could be purely coincidental. Having moderated other forums in the past IP tracing is vital. Lets just say that when you run a highly bureaucratic political forum for a political party, policy dictates that prior to removal on the grounds of duplicate accounts IP scans are required. I can't go into more detail than that due to non-disclosure agreements.

Quote:
Kinser Wrote:On other forums that I've moderated in the past, usually, warning the offender corrected the behavior.

Tried.  Failed.  I believe he's too young to get it.
[/quote]

I've dealt with all currently living generations as a moderator (Meaning GI to Zed--though very few GIs or Zeds really--mostly Boomers, Xers, and Millies). In my experience those hardest to reach through warning and discussion are the older posters. The young can, usually be threatened into behavior, and the middle can usually understand "X behavior is unacceptable, and will not be accepted". People with gray hairs seem to be the most likely to be recalcitrant, and most likely to blame it on "I'm an old man and set in my ways". My usual approach with those was "Well, you can be set in your ways elsewhere."

Of course then again the strongest criticism I ever received from com...er I mean...other forum personnel was that I was more into enforcement of quality posting than encouraging people to simply produce quality posts. But then again "Nyet chilvotka, Nyet probleme".
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(01-09-2018, 01:22 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: But yeah I've noticed that not even Death has slowed Rothbard's publishing output.  I can only assume that he wrote a great deal that simply was never published in his lifetime.

That is pretty much what has happened.  They keep finding unpublished books in his archives, which they have.  A person could read everything that Mises wrote but that is simply not possible with Rothbard.  One of the nice things about his writing is that it tends to be very clear without being simplistic.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises