Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aging of X
(07-25-2018, 01:52 PM)JDG 66 Wrote: -In 2005, the Elephants compromised with the Donkeys over judges because they didn't want to "overturn the traditions of the Senate". The Donkeys didn't return the favor. Now they're reaping what they sowed. And who knows who will start packing the court first? Big Grin

I could see a constitutional amendment with a 14 or 21 year term for SCOTUS judges, and a limit of 9, to prevent court packing.

Late to respond, but a response is needed. The GOP complaint has been Bork, Bork and, oh yeah, Bork! Then, they decided to shut-out Obama for being Obama. Now, they're packing every court in the nation. If a pissing contest is in the cards, expect the next round to be fire-hose level.

There won't be a compromise that leads to a Constitutional amendment until rationality returns ... 20 or 30 years from now.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(07-19-2018, 01:07 PM)JDG 66 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 02:03 PM)David Horn Wrote: I would go with cautious … too cautious.  He never took a chance if there was another course that lead in the general direction he wanted to go, so he never accomplished much.  Even Obamacare is unlikely to last in anything like its current form.
That's not cautious. That's called "Checks and Balances".

That's not checks or balance. It's retribution ... for what I don't understand. This isn't war, for Godsake ... Unless the elephants decide to start one. Hint: the numbers and the money favor the left, not the right.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(10-20-2018, 03:56 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Some Xer's still need to grow up.

The Hill Wrote:NN host Chris Cuomo on Friday invited Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.) to body-slam him after he condemned President Trump's praise for the Republican congressman, who pleaded guilty to assaulting a reporter last year.
"There is no question about what he did being wrong and illegal," Cuomo said of Gianforte body-slamming Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs in 2017. "But the president celebrated him at a rally … Why does Trump praise bullies? Time and again, he celebrates punks who go after the little guy," he continued.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Everything Gianforte did is weak, OK?" Cuomo later added. "He attacked someone who wasn’t a threat, was at every disadvantage, Gianforte showed no control, no confidence, no respect for his office or his constituents or for the law. He is weak. And if he doesn’t like it, he can come body-slam me as well. I welcome it.”
Cuomo's comments come after Trump praised the Montana Republican at a campaign rally in Missoula, Mont., on Thursday, lauding him as a "a tremendous person" and "a tough cookie."

Gianforte pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of assault in June 2017 for his attack on Jacobs. He was sentenced to a 180-day deferred sentence, 40 hours of community service, 20 hours of anger management and a $300 fine along with an $85 court fee.
Trump, who has carried on an antagonistic relationship with the press, drew condemnation for his remarks, which came as the international community turned its focus to the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, whose death was later acknowledged by Saudi Arabia on Friday night. Trump, earlier Friday, said he did not regret praising Gianforte.
White House Correspondents’ Association president Olivier Knox said Friday that "all Americans should recoil from the president's praise for a violent assault on a reporter doing his Constitutionally protected job."
Jacobs, the reporter who was assaulted by Gianforte, slammed Trump's remarks on CNN Friday evening.
"A 'tough cookie' doesn’t attack someone out of nowhere without provocation, for asking a question about health-care policy," he said.

Nice.  X'ers going after other X'ers and millies going after millies in physical altercations is going on. America , America, home of the black eyes and land of the fight clubs. Rolleyes 

Chris Cuomo : born August 9, 1970
Greg Giafornte : born April 17, 1961

My money is on Cuomo.  Any takers?
(10-20-2018, 03:56 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Some Xer's still need to grow up.

The Hill Wrote:NN host Chris Cuomo on Friday invited Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.) to body-slam him after he condemned President Trump's praise for the Republican congressman, who pleaded guilty to assaulting a reporter last year.
"There is no question about what he did being wrong and illegal," Cuomo said of Gianforte body-slamming Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs in 2017. "But the president celebrated him at a rally … Why does Trump praise bullies? Time and again, he celebrates punks who go after the little guy," he continued.

“Everything Gianforte did is weak, OK?" Cuomo later added. "He attacked someone who wasn’t a threat, was at every disadvantage, Gianforte showed no control, no confidence, no respect for his office or his constituents or for the law. He is weak. And if he doesn’t like it, he can come body-slam me as well. I welcome it.”
Cuomo's comments come after Trump praised the Montana Republican at a campaign rally in Missoula, Mont., on Thursday, lauding him as a "a tremendous person" and "a tough cookie."

Gianforte pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of assault in June 2017 for his attack on Jacobs. He was sentenced to a 180-day deferred sentence, 40 hours of community service, 20 hours of anger management and a $300 fine along with an $85 court fee.
Trump, who has carried on an antagonistic relationship with the press, drew condemnation for his remarks, which came as the international community turned its focus to the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, whose death was later acknowledged by Saudi Arabia on Friday night. Trump, earlier Friday, said he did not regret praising Gianforte.
White House Correspondents’ Association president Olivier Knox said Friday that "all Americans should recoil from the president's praise for a violent assault on a reporter doing his Constitutionally protected job."
Jacobs, the reporter who was assaulted by Gianforte, slammed Trump's remarks on CNN Friday evening.
"A 'tough cookie' doesn’t attack someone out of nowhere without provocation, for asking a question about health-care policy," he said.

Nice.  X'ers going after other X'ers and millies going after millies in physical altercations is going on. America , America, home of the black eyes and land of the fight clubs. Rolleyes 

Chris Cuomo : born August 9, 1970
Greg Gianforte : born April 17, 1961

Donald Trump may not be X, but he certainly appeals to the worst among them!

Political violence is simply wrong in a democracy because it is contrary to the rule of law fundamental to democracy. I dislike street brawls, and I prefer that the local cops break them up before someone ends up in a hospital. But I generally avoid bars that I don't know. Asperger's gives me a blank stare that looks like a leer... it isn't. but it makes me look as if I am moving in on someone's wife or girlfriend, which is often good for a hard blow to the jaw.

If our cultural leaders and sports stars can't establish themselves as role models for our youth and some clergy are sick parodies of godliness, then what is left? I hope that our political leaders can fill the gap. And then we have the sick epic of the Kavanaugh confirmation.

So it is all about proving power in the sense of getting away with stuff.

At this point I suspect that many people who thought that McCain or Romney were better choices than Trump are beginning to miss Obama, someone who either couldn't get away with much (I wonder why?) or had the character that told him that getting away with something nasty was a poor objective.

Obama is X. I can't imagine any but a Reactive doing a gangland hit on Osama bin Laden. He never did personal violence and never encouraged or condoned it. I can imagine him as either a tough prosecutor or the sort of judge who can't be bribed. Oh, he'd take the bribe as a judge -- as evidence -- and recuse himself from the case because the bribe compromised his impartiality.

Integrity is worth the loss of a dubious opportunity, not getting revenge, and perhaps even losing an election. We need to re-learn that.

I turn the other cheek and run from fights. I've run from every one that came up to me but one, and in that one I was backed against a wall. I took a dive, and the angry fellow broke his wrist on the wall instead of on my jaw. Not having a broken wrist or a broken jaw, I could dial the ambulance service and tell what happened.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I'm happy being 39. Heart