Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20th Century Is Gone With The Wind?
A new idea I am working on, in beginning stages, I'm recently reflecting on the idea of decimation of open space and how that affects children and then the archetypes and turnings.

Since the Turnings are always essentially based on how children are raised, I would say there is a HUGE axiom within the reverberation of archetypes: children growing up with too much control or too little control.  Control may not be a good word, I'm writing this quickly.  Just about children even BEING ABLE to go outside and roam or have autonomy and explore.  Even if they are not, the ability to do that is vanishing. 

Is there really a true urbanization of America now in this the 21st Century?  It's shocking to think only a few children will experience nature as a part of their daily experience.  I must admit I don't have a lot of scope for such a thing, how can I because I was raised in a certain way in a certain place, can I truly imagine what experience others' have had? 

That is why I attempt to gather information from live sources, real human beings with real experiences.  I don't think these things can be found in books or online with "data".

I used GWTW to illustrate the idea a whole portion of our civilization may be eroding in front of us.  I am not trying to debate about WHAT was being lost in that movie, only the idea that the Civil War happened at the peak of a Turning such as we may experience soon or are now.  I am talking about the concept that at the turn of the 19th century, many ways of living simply had ceased to exist.  The documentation for such things - IMO - are sometimes displayed in pop culture.  The author of the book GWTW wrote a detailed story of the Old South as it passed away in the blink of an eye.

I'm actually a little heart-broken that children growing up now will never have the opportunity to roam freely in neighborhoods, explore freely and be left to their imaginations.  It is also physically healthy as well as psychologically, and stimulating to all area of the brain.

Not 20 years ago, one could imagine places spanning America full of farm lands, back roads, mountain trails.  The last still exists in a large way.  The heartland, though, is filling up quick with urbanization.  Small towns are becoming larger.  City sprawl continues.  Every major city in America is facing urban sprawl.  The south and southwest are especially filling up.  Plugging up deserts, no one cares about that.  Or grasslands.  Only places that literally cannot be excavated (mountains, rocky hills, treacherous places) are left alone. 

This is IMO from the systemic idea of growth at all cost.  And THAT model is, of course, a factor of hyper-capitalism.  An economy; one based on consumption; thus expansion is the only thing that propels the never-ending monster.  It cannot end.  When it ends, we end.

But, the idea of open roads and back roads, the supposed "byways" and smaller drives meant for scenery.  <---- but is that over?  I'm old enough to remember an America that was about seeing an experience. I got to see almost every one of the "bucket list" things I ever imagined never seeing in person as a child.  The joys of a roadtrip seem to be gone not because people don't enjoy them, they simply do not exist.  One city flows into another and so on.  The "roads" connecting them are becoming smaller and shorter.  There is no access to universal green space or open country.  Children do not and will never again grow up on farms or work in such situations as adults. 

America has - from the beginning - been a pioneer state.  We have made the ambition of exploration for the sake of exploring.  I do not think it's wise to not mourn this passing.
In the west coast states and through the northwest the open country still exists. The people have taken action to preserve a lot of open and natural spaces out here. We have a TV program called the Open Road. We had another one called California's Gold. I took a trip a year ago from San Jose to Portland to see the eclipse. Still lots of open country along those roads. I don't think that the empty quarter, the states from the deserts up through the plains, are being urbanized too much yet.

But I know population is still growing further south in CA and through the southwest. Arizona, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina and Florida are filling up their open spaces. I'm not fond of those states anyway and not planning to travel to them soon. One thing is I am leery of long road trips now for several reasons. Too much gas and carbon, and not enough fast charging stations yet for that electric car I want. Which would still be powered by coal in those states anyway. The interstates are dangerous; trucks zoom along at breakneck speed and make deadly crashes into us poor tourists and explorers.

I'm not sure I'd like to go further away and drive to the southeast and explore through redneck country where they might not welcome someone like me, and where guns can be pulled out at a moment's notice. It can happen anywhere in the USA, and maybe I shouldn't be concerned, but it does happen often enough to be wary of gun-lovers country, which is most of flyover country. But I would like to take a train to the east coast, and tour some interesting places.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-27-2018, 12:52 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: In the west coast states and through the northwest the open country still exists. The people have taken action to preserve a lot of open and natural spaces out here. We have a TV program called the Open Road. We had another one called California's Gold. I took a trip a year ago from San Jose to Portland to see the eclipse. Still lots of open country along those roads. I don't think that the empty quarter, the states from the deserts up through the plains, are being urbanized too much yet.

But I know population is still growing further south in CA and through the southwest. Arizona, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina and Florida are filling up their open spaces. I'm not fond of those states anyway and not planning to travel to them soon. One thing is I am leery of long road trips now for several reasons. Too much gas and carbon, and not enough fast charging stations yet for that electric car I want. Which would still be powered by coal in those states anyway. The interstates are dangerous; trucks zoom along at breakneck speed and make deadly crashes into us poor tourists and explorers.

I'm not sure I'd like to go further away and drive to the southeast and explore through redneck country where they might not welcome someone like me, and where guns can be pulled out at a moment's notice. It can happen anywhere in the USA, and maybe I shouldn't be concerned, but it does happen often enough to be wary of gun-lovers country, which is most of flyover country. But I would like to take a train to the east coast, and tour some interesting places.

I have been looking for years how to get episodes to those shows.  And how shocking I did not check (this is the second time now, exactly looking for something and it's on youtube).  Can't tell if channel OpenRoad is the other one.  Howser is there though.  I met him once, they were at a mission near where I lived.  That is really cool your post made me look again. I will enjoy that Angel
Here are some Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNUyO1FMHI

https://youtu.be/47EFEq4BONU

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Op...67891.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/openroadtv

My favorite:
https://youtu.be/GMrrU0eL60Y

Here's his website
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Op...67891.html

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I went to Mendocino in 1966 to trace the steps of the invading Russians and the madcap Americans. Later on the same trip we went to Clear Lake, which has had a lot of the fires stirred up by climate change these days. But I turned out in 1966 to have imitated Dr. Jimmy from my favorite rock album, The Who's Quadrophenia (released later in 1973), when I pinched a boat to row out for an evening ride on this beautiful lake by myself. My Dad was upset! Here's Huell Howser's visit.

With the native american cross within the circle symbol I've been discussing with Bill the Piper!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M