Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So why aren't Millennial adults spending enough?
They are underpaid!

Quote:Since millennials first started entering the workforce, their spending habits have been blamed for killing off industries ranging from casual restaurant dining to starter houses. However, a new study by the Federal Reserve suggests it might be less about how they are spending their money and more about not having any to spend.

A study published this month by Christopher Kurz, Geng Li and Daniel J. Vine found millennials are less financially well-off than members of earlier generations when they were the same ages, with "lower earnings, fewer assets and less wealth."
Their finances were compared with Generation X, baby boomers, the silent generation and the greatest generation.

The researchers examined spending, income, debt, net worth and demographic factors among the generations to determine "it primarily is the differences in average age and then differences in average income that explain a large and important portion of the consumption wedge between millennials and other cohorts."
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Working with a number of Millennials has been interesting, as I saw a lot of the same patterns in their early post-education years that I saw in my own, twenty years before in the first "Bush" recession of the late '80's and early '90's - long stints in temping and retail, while trying to break into more stable work, only to see whole industries collapse when the banks finally faced the truth, and big delays in household formation and declines in home ownership. Over the holiday, I was reminiscing with my brother-in-law about the crazy days of '91 and '92, when several local banks (well, there were only three left in the area - the S&L crisis hit us REALLY hard) stopped issuing 30-year mortgages on local residential real estate, as they were "unable to make money" on a 12% APR loan. The area is still suffering the cascade effects of that bit of short-sightedness, as the region around it has embraced (or at least tolerated) in-migration.

As Strauss and Howe pointed out to Tony Robbins when he interviewed them for his Power Talk(!) CD series, Gen X was only slightly smaller than the Boom, but had much less money to spend, and I'd add, no good options for cutting back. Many of the ways Millennials save today (ride sharing, cord-cutting, and Internet shopping) weren't available to X-ers, so, as the study points out, we have more individual debt that Millennials.
(12-01-2018, 03:55 PM)AarG Wrote: Working with a number of Millennials has been interesting, as I saw a lot of the same patterns in their early post-education years that I saw in my own, twenty years before in the first "Bush" recession of the late '80's and early '90's - long stints in temping and retail, while trying to break into more stable work, only to see whole industries collapse when the banks finally faced the truth, and big delays in household formation and declines in home ownership. Over the holiday, I was reminiscing with my brother-in-law about the crazy days of '91 and '92, when several local banks (well, there were only three left in the area - the S&L crisis hit us REALLY hard) stopped issuing 30-year mortgages on local residential real estate, as they were "unable to make money" on a 12% APR loan. The area is still suffering the cascade effects of that bit of short-sightedness, as the region around it has embraced (or at least tolerated) in-migration.

Banks and thrifts were long prohibited from paying market interest rates to savers. The idea was that one saved so that one would have a good relationship with the lender if one borrowed for any reason. Then came the wacky inflation of the 1970s complete with high interest rates that stayed until well into the 1980s.

Then  came the consolidation (a euphemism for monopolization) of banks.

...but back to the cause for low levels of consumer spending by the Millennial generation: they have been severely underpaid, and they are paying the all-time real highest rents if they are where the jobs  are. Rent is cheap in places like Detroit and Cleveland that people have largely abandoned, but if one wants to be where the jobs are one is in high-rent cities. Where the economy is vibrant, America is a landlord's paradise. The silent were paying modest rents and saving heavily for down payments. Millennial adults are simply paying rent.

Quote:As Strauss and Howe pointed out to Tony Robbins when he interviewed them for his Power Talk(!) CD series, Gen X was only slightly smaller than the Boom, but had much less money to spend, and I'd add, no good options for cutting back. Many of the ways Millennials save today (ride sharing, cord-cutting, and Internet shopping) weren't available to X-ers, so, as the study points out, we have more individual debt that Millennials.

America underwent the rough ride in real estate lending for about 40 years... and look where we are now.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennial Women Empowered sbarrera 18 2,560 08-22-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
Brick People not accepting our Millennial theory X Marks the Spot 43 16,430 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Rating Millennial start dates Ghost 5 2,092 12-31-2021, 11:05 AM
  The only way to stop Millennial cancel culture is to outlaw it AspieMillennial 16 7,190 07-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Millennial filmmakers GeekyCynic 0 1,245 01-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: GeekyCynic
  I’m a millennial? RadianMay 20 12,527 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM
  The mystery of Millennial politics Dan '82 67 63,421 08-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Last Post: jleagans
Video The Millennial Counter Argument - Millennials and their videos debunking everything sbarrera 9 8,134 10-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  No more Millennial children Craig '84 20 15,632 09-28-2018, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Tuss
  AB/DL - The Millennial Fetish? Lemanic 2 6,290 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: beechnut79