Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil Howe: 'Civil War Is More Likely Than People Think'
(02-03-2017, 12:01 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote: James Howard Kunstler is now posting his blog twice a week--on Mondays and Fridays.  An aging Boomer and author, he reminds me of "the Crazy Uncle" who holds forth at the Thanksgiving table every year with his political rants. You want to lock him up in the attic, but he makes just enough sense (sometimes) that you keep on inviting him back.  He's entertaining, if nothing else.

His blog post today ties in with a thread that I began on the old 4T forum.  (I've since deleted it from my own files, but it basically asked the question "What Happens If the Center Does Not Hold?"  The inspiration for this thread was a book by Jonathan Alter published in the wake of Obama's re-election titled "The Center Holds," whose premise I had little faith in at the time.

Midway through, a New York Times book review summed up Alter's thesis thusly--
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/books/...alter.html

...Mr. Alter’s thesis is that the 2012 election was possibly “the most consequential” in recent times and “a hinge of history” — “a titanic ideological struggle” that put the “social contract established during the New Deal era” on the line. He readily acknowledges that he thinks the United States “dodged a bullet in 2012,” and that in re-electing Barack Obama and rejecting the Republicans’ “extremist” views, America reaffirmed its identity as an essentially “centrist nation.”

Toward the end of this volume, Mr. Alter quotes Mr. Obama telling an aide that if he lost, his presidency would be “a footnote” and that “all of the progress we made in the first four years would be reversed”; if he won, his first-term achievements would be cemented for a generation and he could move ahead on promises sidetracked by the recession...

My oh my, how quickly the pendulum swings...Not only is the political center not holding here in America, but it's melting away abroad as well.

Anyway, Kunstler writes today with an insight that's on the mark, in my opinion:

The Purpose of Decadence and the Pleasures of Coercion

I guess you’ve noticed by now that the center didn’t hold. Instead of a secure platform for political premises like tradition, precedent, rationality, and cultural norms, you see a fiery maw of sheer emotion between the camps of the so-called Left and the so-called Right.

I say so-called because the campus Left and the Trump Right have escaped the categorical corrals they formerly occupied. And they may have left their customary official parties stranded and dying too. It may be fatuous to say whether that is a good or bad thing; it just is, for the moment. They are two halves of a polity so broken and so far apart that it is also hard to see how they might ever come back together into a consensus about how a society might operate successfully...

...Both the Left and the right show not a little sadism in their methods. In the background of these histrionics, the great groaning machine of Modernity lurches toward collapse — not the end-of-the-world as many foolishly imagine, but the end of a phase of history when things that used to work, don’t. At a certain point, we’ll have to try other ways of being with each other on this planet, and then for a while things will come together again.

I ponder the events of the past week, most especially the virtual riot at UC-Berkeley, and I can't help but wonder if a cold civil war is playing out in our country--a civil war in which one side now enjoys a decided advantage...

--you read clusterf*ck nation too, huh?
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
(02-03-2017, 12:23 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 12:01 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote: James Howard Kunstler is now posting his blog twice a week--on Mondays and Fridays.  An aging Boomer and author, he reminds me of "the Crazy Uncle" who holds forth at the Thanksgiving table every year with his political rants. You want to lock him up in the attic, but he makes just enough sense (sometimes) that you keep on inviting him back.  He's entertaining, if nothing else.

His blog post today ties in with a thread that I began on the old 4T forum.  (I've since deleted it from my own files, but it basically asked the question "What Happens If the Center Does Not Hold?"  The inspiration for this thread was a book by Jonathan Alter published in the wake of Obama's re-election titled "The Center Holds," whose premise I had little faith in at the time.

...Mr. Alter’s thesis is that the 2012 election was possibly “the most consequential” in recent times and “a hinge of history” — “a titanic ideological struggle” that put the “social contract established during the New Deal era” on the line. He readily acknowledges that he thinks the United States “dodged a bullet in 2012,” and that in re-electing Barack Obama and rejecting the Republicans’ “extremist” views, America reaffirmed its identity as an essentially “centrist nation.”

Toward the end of this volume, Mr. Alter quotes Mr. Obama telling an aide that if he lost, his presidency would be “a footnote” and that “all of the progress we made in the first four years would be reversed”; if he won, his first-term achievements would be cemented for a generation and he could move ahead on promises sidetracked by the recession...

My oh my, how quickly the pendulum swings...Not only is the political center not holding here in America, but it's melting away abroad as well.

Anyway, Kunstler writes today with an insight that's on the mark, in my opinion:

I guess you’ve noticed by now that the center didn’t hold. Instead of a secure platform for political premises like tradition, precedent, rationality, and cultural norms, you see a fiery maw of sheer emotion between the camps of the so-called Left and the so-called Right.

I say so-called because the campus Left and the Trump Right have escaped the categorical corrals they formerly occupied. And they may have left their customary official parties stranded and dying too. It may be fatuous to say whether that is a good or bad thing; it just is, for the moment. They are two halves of a polity so broken and so far apart that it is also hard to see how they might ever come back together into a consensus about how a society might operate successfully...

...Both the Left and the right show not a little sadism in their methods. In the background of these histrionics, the great groaning machine of Modernity lurches toward collapse — not the end-of-the-world as many foolishly imagine, but the end of a phase of history when things that used to work, don’t. At a certain point, we’ll have to try other ways of being with each other on this planet, and then for a while things will come together again.

I ponder the events of the past week, most especially the virtual riot at UC-Berkeley, and I can't help but wonder if a cold civil war is playing out in our country--a civil war in which one side now enjoys a decided advantage...

Oh yeah, every week.  I read his book The Long Emergency, years ago.  He's wildly off the mark about Peak Oil, Happy Motoring, and all that.  (Who knows what mineral deposits lurk beneath the Arctic Circle when the polar icecaps melt?)  But I do enjoy reading Kunstler's political insights.  And he aims his barbs at both corporate parties, which I like.
(02-03-2017, 12:29 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote:

Oh yeah, every week.  I read his book The Long Emergency, years ago.  He's wildly off the mark about Peak Oil, Happy Motoring, and all that.  (Who knows what mineral deposits lurk beneath the Arctic Circle when the polar icecaps melt?)  But I do enjoy reading Kunstler's political insights.  And he aims his barbs at both corporate parties, which I like.

-- yeah, as soon as l found out he has a thing against suburbia l took Peak Oil with a huge salt shaker. But CN is a hoot
The Democrats must be a strong opposition party with a spine. They must oppose Gorsuch and oppose Trump at every turn. That's the only way they get respect again. Do Democrats stand for anything? The voters think the Republicans are good because they stand strong for what they believe. If we no longer have an opposition party which does this, America loses.

The majority of voters today are NOT centrist. That has been demonstrated in poll after poll and election after election. The people must choose which side they are on. If not enough people choose the best side, the Left side, America goes into a fast and irreversible decline in this 4T.

If does no good for you to have your guns, if you won't fight for anything. You say the 1A means nothing without the 2A? I reverse it on you. The 2A means nothing without the 1A. Gorsuch means the end of the 1A. That's not hyperbole. It's decision time.

Pluto has already begun its return of the Revolution. It's D-Day. It's time to fight, or we lose to the racist, corporate takeover.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

-- Teach, l'm thinking maybe we should start a clusterf*ck nation thread. Just like Xenakis posts stuff from his site onto his thread here, we could post CN stuff onto a thread here
(02-03-2017, 05:38 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 01:58 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The Democrats must be a strong opposition party with a spine. They must oppose Gorsuch and oppose Trump at every turn. That's the only way they get respect again. Do Democrats stand for anything? The voters think the Republicans are good because they stand strong for what they believe. If we no longer have an opposition party which does this, America loses.

The majority of voters today are NOT centrist. That has been demonstrated in poll after poll and election after election. The people must choose which side they are on. If not enough people choose the best side, the Left side, America goes into a fast and irreversible decline in this 4T.

If does no good for you to have your guns, if you won't fight for anything. You say the 1A means nothing without the 2A? I reverse it on you. The 2A means nothing without the 1A. Gorsuch means the end of the 1A. That's not hyperbole. It's decision time.

Pluto has already begun its return of the Revolution. It's D-Day. It's time to fight, or we lose to the racist, corporate takeover.

How would Gorsuch mean the end of the 1A? Details please.

He is a Scalia clone. He admits "such." As "such," Gorsuch opposes voting rights, and he thinks money is speech. He wants the government to protect those who discriminate against gays. I think that's an establishment of a religion: fundamentalist Christianity. 

By all accounts, Gorsuch is to the right of Scalia, just as Trump is to the right of Reagan. You want to take a chance and support such a man for the Court?

Scalia was against freedom of the press:
http://www.businessinsider.com/justice-s...ss-2012-12

Scalia was also against the 8th amendment:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...re/383730/

Ms. Anne Gorsuch Burford was an environmental destroyer, and corrupt. No, he's not her, but he upholds her traditions. Gorsuch would allow destruction of the environment. People for the American Way said lots of things about Gorsuch that I already posted, including that.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(02-03-2017, 06:50 PM)Marypoza Wrote:

-- Teach, l'm thinking maybe we should start a clusterf*ck nation thread. Just like Xenakis posts stuff from his site onto his thread here, we could post CN stuff onto a thread here
Good idea! Kunstler has referred to the Fourth Turning, too, on occasion.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
(02-04-2017, 12:54 PM)TeacherinExile Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 06:50 PM)Marypoza Wrote:

Good idea! Kunstler has referred to the Fourth Turning, too, on occasion.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

-- l'm going off the top of my head here, but yeah, l seem to recall him referencing S&H
The latest from CN, & chockfull of alternative facts. Dan where's my rofl buton?  Big Grin

http://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/i...wton/#more-'
Wayne and Donald do share a resemblance

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Some anecdotal evidence of incipient civil war, non-violent so far, thankfully.  I live in "Everybody's Hometown" in Arizona, too big to be called a small town, but not so big that a similar incivility as that experienced in Springfield would go unnoticed here.  A not-insignificant Tea Party crowd did stage a protest on our public square when that movement began, followed by a much weaker protest a year or so later in sympathy with Occupy Wall Street.  No real clashes, though.

"A Town Changed by Trump"
Springfield, Ohio, prided itself on its moderation. Now, residents are struggling with an unfamiliar question: How to heal a bruised sense of civility.    

A few passages of note from this Christian Science Monitor article:

There are times these days when Mary Jo Groves feels like she no longer understands her city and the world around it.

The hospital physician knows Springfield as a place that has prided itself on its moderate, practical outlook. Until recently, many folks around here couldn’t recall having seen a protest in town. Disagreements happened, of course, but they were usually handled civilly – both sides at least knew where the other was coming from.

But since the election of President Trump, things have felt different...

...“The sad thing is we can’t have civil discourse and we can’t have a discussion about the issues,” said Ms. Baldridge. “That would be my goal – to get back to the idea that you can have your opinion but it doesn’t make you a bad person.”

On that, both sides can agree. The divide within Springfield mirrors the tensions within the nation as a whole. Before the election, the Monitor visited Springfield because no other American city saw more of its middle class slip down the economic ladder from 2000 to 2014, according to the Pew Research Center. Springfield symbolizes the challenges of the nation...

...But the partisan animosity in aftermath of the election is largely new to Springfield. Some say it was simply lurking beneath the surface before. But now that it is out in the open, residents long for the normalcy and civility of years past – but are at a loss for how to bring it about.

“Most Americans … most people in this town agree on 80, 85 percent of everything,” says Kevin Loftis, who opened a new brewery downtown in July and who called both choices in November’s election “soul crushing.”

“I’m tired of the left and the right. You’d think we’re headed to a civil war. I don’t know how you bring it back. I don’t know what the unifying cause is that brings us back to earth. It’s almost like you’re standing toe to toe with your fists out. What’s it going to take to drop your fists and talk?”

Link to the full article: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/20...d-by-Trump

Actually, I should add that a Women's March in Prescott did take place the day after Trump's inauguration, a sizeable crowd for our small town (pop. 39,843):

"1,200 encircle courthouse in Prescott Women's March" (VIDEO & GALLERY)
http://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/jan/22/womenss-march/
The other day l saw a car on the street with DC tags on it. I've seen DC tags in the past & they said something like "A Capital City" or some such. These tags said "Taxation Without Representation"

Cool

Yeah, we're heading for a split
About half the American electorate either did not like the promises of Donald Trump or didn't believe them achievable, and the other half either believed those promises or would not hold him accountable should he fail to deliver his promises.

So far he has done little to deliver on the difficult promises to the common man (bring back the lost jobs and with them the solid incomes that those jobs had) but he has certainly offended liberal sensibilities.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(02-21-2017, 08:09 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 07:06 PM)Marypoza Wrote: The other day l saw a car on the street with DC tags on it. I've seen DC tags in the past & they said something like "A Capital City" or some such. These tags said "Taxation Without Representation"

Cool

That plate means, the person is in favor statehood for DC.

-- ahhh ok

We"re still heading for a split
(02-21-2017, 07:06 PM)Marypoza Wrote: The other day l saw a car on the street with DC tags on it. I've seen DC tags in the past & they said something like "A Capital City" or some such. These tags said "Taxation Without Representation"

Cool

I've been seeing those tags for quite a while. According to Wikipedia, DC's been sporting that slogan since 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_re...ngton,_D.C.
(02-21-2017, 08:09 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:

Cool

That plate means, the person is in favor statehood for DC.

Or at least for representation in congress, of which they have none. Ridiculous!

The Democrats never seem to go for it when they have the power, unlike the Republicans. They could have put this through in 2009 when they had the votes. Jesse Jackson would have made a great DC senator.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Right-winger on a possible civil war.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(02-24-2017, 03:51 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: There comes a point where Patriots invoke the 2nd in order to protect the 1st:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washingt...story.html

'On the list were Trump-friendly outlets such as Breitbart News, the Washington Times and OANN, a conservative television network that employs former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski as a commentator.

'Off the list were some of Trump's favorite targets, including the New York Times and CNN. The Los Angeles Times was also excluded. '

Past Presidents might have joked about being hung out to dry by the NYT, but that was friendly smack talking. Those same Presidents would then engage in self deprecating humor at the Press Dinner. Not this President. He and his band of fiends are enemies of The People.

Yes, I am one of those "2nd Amendment People" albeit not the type the Alt-Right monsters have in mind. Alt-Right monsters need to keep this in mind. You are not the only ones who are armed.

#RealNationalism

#The 2nd

#The25th

And the man in the video above assumes that the left-side will lose the civil war because the army and police are natural conservatives and will thus side with the alt-right. That may not be a correct assumption. It depends on who is in power if and when a civil war breaks out. If it is a moderate to liberal regime like Obama's or even someone like Hillary's or Bernie's, then the armed forces might be loyal to the constitution and the nation if the rebels to this regime are alt-right crazies like Trump and Bannon, assuming they are out of power by then.

The man in the video says that if the Heller Decision, which is merely the ab-normal interpretation of the temporary reactionary neo-liberal takeover by Reagan/Scalia, the right-wing will rebel violently. I see this as a distinct possibility. The gun fanatics might rebel against constitutional rule according to the Supreme Court. But they would probably be put down. This ruling might not happen if Trump gets more than one Court appointment though. More gun control would be very likely under the next liberal president, but this would probably be allowed under Heller. If the gun nuts rebel against that, then I see no success for them.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(02-24-2017, 04:16 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 04:00 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 03:51 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: There comes a point where Patriots invoke the 2nd in order to protect the 1st:

'On the list were Trump-friendly outlets such as Breitbart News, the Washington Times and OANN, a conservative television network that employs former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski as a commentator.

'Off the list were some of Trump's favorite targets, including the New York Times and CNN. The Los Angeles Times was also excluded. '

Past Presidents might have joked about being hung out to dry by the NYT, but that was friendly smack talking. Those same Presidents would then engage in self deprecating humor at the Press Dinner. Not this President. He and his band of fiends are enemies of The People.

Yes, I am one of those "2nd Amendment People" albeit not the type the Alt-Right monsters have in mind. Alt-Right monsters need to keep this in mind. You are not the only ones who are armed.

#RealNationalism

#The 2nd

#The25th

And the man in the video above assumes that the left-side will lose the civil war because the army and police are natural conservatives and will thus side with the alt-right. That may not be a correct assumption. It depends on who is in power if and when a civil war breaks out. If it is a moderate to liberal regime like Obama's or even someone like Hillary's or Bernie's, then the armed forces might be loyal to the constitution and the nation if the rebels to this regime are alt-right crazies like Trump and Bannon, assuming they are out of power by then.

The man in the video says that if the Heller Decision, which is merely the ab-normal interpretation of the temporary reactionary neo-liberal takeover by Reagan/Scalia, the right-wing will rebel violently. I see this as a distinct possibility. The gun fanatics might rebel against constitutional rule according to the Supreme Court. But they would probably be put down. This ruling might not happen if Trump gets more than one Court appointment though. More gun control would be very likely under the next liberal president, but this would probably be allowed under Heller. If the gun nuts rebel against that, then I see no success for them.

Military is a mixed bag. Local LE mostly go with prevailing attitudes in their areas of operation. FBI is factionalized. CIA majority are anti Alt-Right. Not sure about DIA. The true haven of Alt-Right / Trumpism is ICE. Their union linked up with the Alt-Right years ago, before anyone knew what it was.

I assume most military and police will go along with the constitution and who has been legally elected. That may not be true for ICE agents and some others. I assume "DIA" is Defense Intelligence Agency?

The real question is the Courts. If they have been staffed by right-wingers, then we will get lots more decisions like the Bundy Brothers let off while DAPL resisters aren't.

Meanwhile, the man in the video assumes that the soldiers and police will break ranks because they all think any liberal president like Obama or Bernie Sanders is a "Marxist" and thus will support the right wing/alt right rebellion. Reactionaries like him think they own the country, and Americans are not entitled to elect someone who is in favor of progress instead of reaction. They may be disappointed.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
reposted for editing

(02-24-2017, 04:00 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

#RealNationalism

#The 2nd

#The25th

The man in the video says that if the Heller Decision is overturned, which is merely the ab-normal interpretation of the temporary reactionary neo-liberal takeover by Reagan/Scalia, the right-wing will rebel violently. I see this as a distinct possibility. The gun fanatics might rebel against constitutional rule according to the Supreme Court. But they would probably be put down. This ruling might not happen if Trump gets more than one Court appointment though. More gun control would be very likely under the next liberal president, but this would probably be allowed under Heller. If the gun nuts rebel against that, then I see no success for them.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neil Howe In The News Bronco80 48 39,378 03-14-2022, 03:13 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Neil Howe: It’s going to get worse; more financial crises coming Dan '82 40 51,473 05-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Neil Howe and William Strauss C-Span video Eric the Green 1 4,337 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Neil Howe twitter thread Dan '82 3 7,116 11-21-2016, 04:11 PM
  Neil Howe: Millennials: Are We There Yet? Dan '82 0 3,749 06-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Dan '82
  Neil Howe: Which Of Tech's 'Four Horsemen' Is Built To Last? Dan '82 7 6,781 06-11-2016, 06:12 PM