Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I VOTE YES ON CALEXIT!
(03-14-2017, 05:32 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: So is fear of tyrannical government.  I don't think either analogy is conclusive.

Oh, of course, but there is a big difference between Social Democracy and Literally Stalin.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(03-14-2017, 05:47 PM)Odin Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 05:32 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: So is fear of tyrannical government.  I don't think either analogy is conclusive.

Oh, of course, but there is a big difference between Social Democracy and Literally Stalin.

Is there?  I thought everybody YOU disagreed with was Literally Hitler.   Tongue

Perhaps we can turn it around and suggest that there is a sizable difference between Limited Government and Literally Somalia, too.  Wink
(03-14-2017, 05:54 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 05:47 PM)Odin Wrote:

Is there?  I thought everybody YOU disagreed with was Literally Hitler.   Tongue

Perhaps we can turn it around and suggest that there is a sizable difference between Limited Government and Literally Somalia, too.  Wink

That seems valid, although I note that libertarians and anarchists here have argued that Somalia actually works and is prosperous and successful under its chaotic and deadly anarchy.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-14-2017, 05:29 PM)Odin Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 10:15 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 07:00 AM)Odin Wrote: Oligarchs like weak government because it lets them carve out their own fiefdoms and oppress the population without interference. People like Galen are only cheering on their enserfment.

Oligarchs like strong government because it lets them carve out their own fiefdoms and oppress the population without interference.  People like Odin are only cheering on their own enserfment.

There, fixed it for you.

Seriously consider for a moment that government is a necessary evil.  It might be prudent there for that we have enough government that my neighbor can neither pick my pocket nor break my leg, but not so much where the government is picking my pocket and breaking my leg.

Oligarchical opposition to strong government is a very common theme throughout history in many times and many places.

Oligarchical support for strong government is a very common theme as well. 

One might wonder about something.  Are these oligarchs interested in what works for them and willing to support whatever it is that works for them?

Given the choice between oligarchs in the private sector and oligarchs in the state, I'll take the former.  Unlike the state private business cannot force me to do business with them without governmental collusion.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
Quote:That seems valid, although I note that libertarians and anarchists here have argued that Somalia actually works and is prosperous and successful under its chaotic and deadly anarchy.

I have also seen people here suggest the Arab Spring would turn out like 1989.  I'd take people's claims here with a grain of salt.  Tongue
(03-14-2017, 05:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: That seems valid, although I note that libertarians and anarchists here have argued that Somalia actually works and is prosperous and successful under its chaotic and deadly anarchy.

I've yet to see anyone say Somalia is prosperous but it does work for Somalians.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(03-14-2017, 05:59 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:
Quote:That seems valid, although I note that libertarians and anarchists here have argued that Somalia actually works and is prosperous and successful under its chaotic and deadly anarchy.

I have also seen people here suggest the Arab Spring would turn out like 1989.  I'd take people's claims here with a grain of salt.  Tongue

And I've seen people here suggest that the Arab Spring was engineered by the USA, and that the rebels of Syria are all Al Qaeda and ISIS. Yes, you have to take peoples' claims here with a grain of salt.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-14-2017, 06:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 05:59 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:

And I've seen people here suggest that the Arab Spring was engineered by the USA, and that the rebels of Syria are all Al Qaeda and ISIS. Yes, you have to take peoples' claims here with a grain of salt.

One problem for you Eric, the Syrian Rebels are Al Qaeda and ISIS.

(03-14-2017, 05:56 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 05:54 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: Is there?  I thought everybody YOU disagreed with was Literally Hitler.   Tongue

That seems valid, although I note that libertarians and anarchists here have argued that Somalia actually works and is prosperous and successful under its chaotic and deadly anarchy.

That is not quite correct.  What the libertarians say is that they are still better off in a stateless society.  Truth is, that with an average IQ of 68 it is irrational to expect much out Somalia.  Keep in mind the article I put a link into is the Journal of Comparative Economics which has nothing to do with any Libertarian organization.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
I'm sorry, but claiming that the average Somali qualifies as mentally disabled is complete nonsense.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(03-15-2017, 07:25 AM)Odin Wrote: I'm sorry, but claiming that the average Somali qualifies as mentally disabled is complete nonsense.

Not really.  I suggest you move to somewhere in Minnesota that they've taken over.  Even other Blacks hate the Somalis.

But we also have to understand that IQ tests do also to some degree measure formal education which is non-existent in Somalia.

(03-15-2017, 07:25 AM)Odin Wrote: I'm sorry, but claiming that the average Somali qualifies as mentally disabled is complete nonsense.

How is the average Somali doing in Minnesota?  Bringing up that B+ average?

I don't do the studies but simply report the results.  If you have a problem with the results then take that up with the PhDs that did the study.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(03-15-2017, 08:17 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Not really.  I suggest you move to somewhere in Minnesota that they've taken over.  Even other Blacks hate the Somalis.

But we also have to understand that IQ tests do also to some degree measure formal education which is non-existent in Somalia.

It is more a case of formal education allows you to keep what you got.  IQ is generally a measure of cognitive ability and making use of that ability such as learning skills in formal education can help you maintain that.

It is also worth noting that the lower the average IQ of a nation the worse its conditions tend to be.  Take a look at where most nations of the middle east clock in and you will see what I mean.

(03-15-2017, 03:11 PM)Galen Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 08:17 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

It is more a case of formal education allows you to keep what you got.  IQ is generally a measure of cognitive ability and making use of that ability such as learning skills in formal education can help you maintain that.

It is also worth noting that the lower the average IQ of a nation the worse its conditions tend to be.  Take a look at where most nations of the middle east clock in and you will see what I mean.

Oh that's not in dispute. It also explains why Africa is the way it is too. But for people like Odin's edification averages are just that, averages. There are exceptions on both the high and low ends.

As to IQ and formal education, I'd say you're more or less right. One needs to have a decent IQ to make use of an education (See my arguments as to why most people actually shouldn't be in or go to university). However, I would also say that someone with a relatively low IQ can make use of an education to appear to be smarter than they actually are.

A couple posters on this forum seem to come to mind.

There is an argument to be made that the average African's IQ suffers from parasite load and malnutrition (the absence of the Flynn effect, basically), stunting it beyond their genetic capacity.  People in rural areas, even in the developed world, tend to have lower IQs than people in cities, and have for a while.  There are likely a variety of confounding factors there.  There is also evidence to suggest that there are major cognitive differences between illiterate and literate peoples, which impinge on the sort of abstract reasoning skills tested in an IQ test.

On the other hand, East Asian IQ scores were consistently higher going back several decades, even when they were poorer than places in West Africa, and they as of yet are the only non-European peoples to clear the middle-income trap and become fully developed.  So, it is an interesting question, albeit one that can be subject to abuse.
(03-15-2017, 03:41 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 03:11 PM)Galen Wrote: It is more a case of formal education allows you to keep what you got.  IQ is generally a measure of cognitive ability and making use of that ability such as learning skills in formal education can help you maintain that.

Oh that's not in dispute.  It also explains why Africa is the way it is too.  But for people like Odin's edification averages are just that, averages.  There are exceptions on both the high and low ends.

As to IQ and formal education, I'd say you're more or less right.  One needs to have a decent IQ to make use of an education (See my arguments as to why most people actually shouldn't be in or go to university).  However, I would also say that someone with a relatively low IQ can make use of an education to appear to be smarter than they actually are.

Another point people don't understand is that IQ distributions between the sexes are also different.  That the standard deviation in IQ for women is much less than it is for men.  The practical result of this is that there a fewer female geniuses but there are also fewer female idiots as well.

The problem liberals and progressives have is that they think everything is an arbitrary societal norm and that people are infinitely malleable.  It never occurs to them that societal norms are a consequence rather than a cause.  Couple that with a missionary like zeal and disaster soon follows.

(03-15-2017, 03:53 PM)Galen Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 03:41 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 03:11 PM)Galen Wrote: It is more a case of formal education allows you to keep what you got.  IQ is generally a measure of cognitive ability and making use of that ability such as learning skills in formal education can help you maintain that.

Oh that's not in dispute.  It also explains why Africa is the way it is too.  But for people like Odin's edification averages are just that, averages.  There are exceptions on both the high and low ends.

As to IQ and formal education, I'd say you're more or less right.  One needs to have a decent IQ to make use of an education (See my arguments as to why most people actually shouldn't be in or go to university).  However, I would also say that someone with a relatively low IQ can make use of an education to appear to be smarter than they actually are.

Another point people don't understand is that IQ distributions between the sexes are also different.  That the standard deviation in IQ for women is much less than it is for men.  The practical result of this is that there a fewer female geniuses but there are also fewer female idiots as well.

The problem liberals and progressives have is that they think everything is an arbitrary societal norm and that people are infinitely malleable.  It never occurs to them that societal norms are a consequence rather than a cause.  Couple that with a missionary like zeal and disaster soon follows.

I see we're both watching Stephan Molyneux.  My mother hates him.

(03-15-2017, 03:41 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: As to IQ and formal education, I'd say you're more or less right.  One needs to have a decent IQ to make use of an education (See my arguments as to why most people actually shouldn't be in or go to university).  However, I would also say that someone with a relatively low IQ can make use of an education to appear to be smarter than they actually are.

1.  Oh, fuck.  Here's a an enlightenment.
a. Male IQ has a wider spread than Female IQ.  IEl. Males are both smarter and more stupid than  the female IQ.
Right? Science? , Etc.  Here's the deal, Odin.  Males have a wider spread on the IQ meter. That means that males,  human, males, are both more smart and stupid wrt females, OK?

2. Kinser, which are said posters?  I'm pretty sure males have a wider IQ dispersion, wrt to statistics.

3. Which Posters have high IQ/low IQ ? Big Grin Cool Tongue

4. Rags has high IQ/ but low SQ. Social IQ.  Rags; is a fucking selfish fuck, OK?  Get that as well, Some Guy?  I'm NOT a fucking Civil Millennial?  Got It?. OK, Rags is a Joneser, the opposite of "Hero Generation"?  OK, here's the deal, SommeGuy, I, born in 1962 is the exact opposite of so called Civic Generations. I just want to make sure you're aware of that, OK!   See. I'd like like nothing better than to smash some snowflake's head into the concrete.
Bash, bash, bash. Yeah, that would , you know feel good to introduce some touchy-feely Millie's head to the hard reality of concrete. So yeah, Rags is a tacky , tacky, Joneser. ..........
---Value Added Cool
Rags Wrote:2. Kinser, which are said posters?  I'm pretty sure males have a wider IQ dispersion, wrt to statistics.

The context of my post should have made it clear.  I left their names out for fear that like Beatlejuice saying their name will summon them.  Those posters would be posters with comparatively lower IQ but who have a formal education (college and shit) so can put on being smarter than they really are (whereas I spent most of my HS years smoking pot in the parking lot out back or skipping).  I think you can guess the posters I'm thinking of.

I'll give you a hint though:  You're not one of them.

Also, chill out with that-one-guy-you-know-the-one, I have a feeling like you and me he would love nothing better than to use speshul snowflake blood for paint.  Go get some ragsweed man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will Millennials fulfill their "civic" role and vote in midterms? Eric the Green 1 666 04-02-2022, 08:16 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 753 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Don’t Vote for a Psychopath: Tyranny at the Hands of a Psychopathic Government random3 32 6,493 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM
Last Post: random3
  House of Delegates, Senate panel vote to ban electronic 'skill' games Luza 0 617 02-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Luza
  Why rural voters don’t vote Democratic anymore Dan '82 82 52,235 03-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Ohio lawmakers vote to give themselves a pay raise Unicorn 18 4,876 12-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Last Post: nvfd
  Vote to impeach Trump and risk death, adviser says nebraska 0 1,169 12-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  [split] I VOTE YES ON CALEXIT! Kinser79 0 1,239 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  [split] I VOTE YES ON CALEXIT! SomeGuy 0 1,362 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: SomeGuy
  Vote Trump or die, says Russia. Einzige 3 3,676 10-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green