Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Song Contest - A glimpse of what's coming?
So this is a thing now.

http://esc2usa.com/

Where does this fit into the Generational Theory?

So many questions going into this.
I am surprised that it has been so slow to appear in America.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

So ”American Song Contest” is expected to air on February 21st this year on NBC. What do you hope for this rendition of the European staple that had our Silent Generation as its target demographic?
I don't have much hope for good songs coming out of the current crop of songwriters, if that's what they are. I will be glad to be proven wrong.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Here's part of the problem:

I listen to some of the pop music and I think that I could write a better tune. OK, I have been binge-listening to Mozart piano concertos, so you can imagine what I would come up with. It would be tonal (I will be convinced of the merits of twelve-tone music when I hear a twelve-tone piece of folk music. I expect to see a real mermaid first.
The tune definitely bounces around the staff, so it would ill suit any one-note wonders. Tough! To be sure, repeated notes can bring powerful rhythm and allow some witty accompaniment in words... Antônio Jobim got away with that, but he was very clever at it, and ostinato accompaniment offers powerful rhythm for Stravinsky's Le Sacre du printemps .(1913 -- why am I treating a work from 109 years ago as "modern"?)

Oddly, in one of the aforesaid concertos I notice Mozart having stolen a tune... from a bird. Of course Mozart does some clever variation that pop songwriters rarely do. Think about it... a bird can come up with a better tune than some of our supposedly-successful songwriters.   
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

So ASC is officially a wreck. Here’s some pleas from DC native Alesia Michelle. to make it work. https://eurovisionfam.com/a-winning-form...t-succeed/
I was contemplating writing a song called "I Need to Love" until I recognized that the tune sounded like something that Rachmaninoff would have written.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Protest Song Thread gabrielle 28 11,205 10-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  American Popular Music 1840-2013 GeekyCynic 2 2,640 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Last Post: gabrielle
  A Eurovision style North American Song Contest possible? Lemanic 3 2,480 05-15-2016, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Lemanic