Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's war on the environment
(06-14-2017, 10:11 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 03:24 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 10:37 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 07:00 PM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: Yes, AFAIK "living the dream" is a positive statement that you are living out something you wanted in your dreams.

I first learned about FUBAR in a human potential seminar when a trainer applied the name to me. That was when I was 30 years old.

One might also say "good times" when in the midst of a complete clusterfuck. I was in a meeting today where that was uttered and it was not a celebration.

Eric the Obtuse finds Xer snark and sarcasm to be difficult concepts and so doesn't recognize it.  For one thing, they require at least a rudimentary sense of humor and irony which I see no evidence of him possessing.  Then again his understanding of science and technology seem to be at seventeenth century level so I really wouldn't expect much from him.

I was warned in a college composition class that satire looks easy, but is quite difficult to make work. Even at that, many competent people simply don't get it as intended. So it is with people with Asperger's  Syndrome even if they are brilliant; they may see the vileness but not the humor. In my case, it almost takes physical comedy (Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, Monty Python, Chespirito) to make me laugh.

Americans in general do not make good satire.  Probably why Americans in general find British humor to be a difficult concept.  Boomers on the whole take themselves way too seriously to manage satire though there are exceptions to this rule.

Here is an example from Blackadder which I rather like.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
Truth, not spin. Funny, but serious! Seth on the Trump/Pruitt EPA.

Run Seth, run! His score: 20-3!
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
CBS News reported today that whales have returned to New York harbor to feed on fish that didn't used to survive in the polluted waters there until the EPA required a clean-up. Now Trump has shut down the EPA. How long will the fish and whales survive now? Those who knock and block the EPA have no respect for life.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-24-2017, 11:12 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 01:17 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: CBS News reported today that whales have returned to New York harbor to feed on fish that didn't used to survive in the polluted waters there until the EPA required a clean-up. Now Trump has shut down the EPA. How long will the fish and whales survive now? Those who knock and block the EPA have no respect for life.

Trump is certainly mismanaging the EPA (mismanagement being his "forte") but he has not shut it down.

For all practical purposes, he has. More than mismanagement, it is deliberate dysfunction.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
You can't blame boomers for this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Murray

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#230234

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-24-2017, 01:17 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: CBS News reported today that whales have returned to New York harbor to feed on fish that didn't used to survive in the polluted waters there until the EPA required a clean-up. Now Trump has shut down the EPA. How long will the fish and whales survive now? Those who knock and block the EPA have no respect for life.

Trump is certainly mismanaging the EPA (mismanagement being his "forte") but he has not shut it down.

The mismanagement being the fact it hasn't been shut down.  But that is a matter of time.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(10-13-2017, 09:22 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

The mismanagement being the fact it hasn't been shut down.  But that is a matter of time.

The next Democratic President will revive it. Donald Trump is a sick joke, a reactionary who wants a return to the economic norms of the 1920s despite technologies and social conditions that make such absurd. The idea that smokestacks belching acrid smoke were signs of prosperity fits the illusions of the early stage of industrialization.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-13-2017, 10:57 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

The next Democratic President will revive it. Donald Trump is a sick joke, a reactionary who wants a return to the economic norms of the 1920s despite technologies and social conditions that make such absurd. The idea that smokestacks belching acrid smoke were signs of prosperity fits the illusions of the early stage of industrialization.

You're assuming that the Dim-o-cratic party as it currently exists will survive.  There is no reason to have this expectation.  If anything their entire party is breaking down, and in 2024 Trump won't be on the ballot anyway.  So unity in opposition to him is simply not good enough.

Furthermore, unlike previous eras the social costs of pollution are far higher than in the 19th century, not to mention that most people walk around on the street with a device in their pocket that allows them to communicate instantly with nearly everyone else on the planet.  (I have to exclude the Norks and the Amish for obvious reasons).

Chinese air pollution isn't the result from their power plants, or their factories.  Their lagging development in kitchen appliances is the main culprit.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

This shows your age.  The EPA came into existence because environmental hazards were killing people.  Kill the EPA, and it will happen again.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(10-13-2017, 10:23 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: You're assuming that the Dim-o-cratic party as it currently exists will survive.  There is no reason to have this expectation.  If anything their entire party is breaking down, and in 2024 Trump won't be on the ballot anyway.  So unity in opposition to him is simply not good enough.

Both of the two major parties are on life support.  The rising wing of the GOP is laser focused on cloud cuckooland, while the rising wing of the Democrats is parsing the population into ever smaller bites.  The establishment of both parties is solidly bought and completely owned by powerful interests, so chaos is the most likely result, at least in the short term.

Kinser79 Wrote:Furthermore, unlike previous eras the social costs of pollution are far higher than in the 19th century, not to mention that most people walk around on the street with a device in their pocket that allows them to communicate instantly with nearly everyone else on the planet.  (I have to exclude the Norks and the Amish for obvious reasons).

I agree that the social costs of pollution are higher today, but the existence of easily accessible social media tends to blunt the effectiveness of any movement to oppose the powerful interests that benefit from doing more of the same.

Kinser79 Wrote:Chinese air pollution isn't the result from their power plants, or their factories.  Their lagging development in kitchen appliances is the main culprit.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what's at stake here.   Rolleyes  Tongue   Beavisbutthead
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(10-14-2017, 09:20 AM)David Horn Wrote:

This shows your age.  The EPA came into existence because environmental hazards were killing people.  Kill the EPA, and it will happen again.

I have news for you, grandpa, the environment has been killing people even with the EPA around.  Nature, let alone the often toxic chemicals of which everything is composed, is not exactly life's friend.  In fact I would say that she is a cold and indifferent bitch.

Having an alphabet soup bureaucracy has solved nothing really.  I'm not going to bother with your second post because it is your usual stupidity.  Mostly what the EPA does these days is harass Amish farmers and increase the cost of doing business.

(10-14-2017, 09:51 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: I have news for you, grandpa, the environment has been killing people even with the EPA around.  Nature, let alone the often toxic chemicals of which everything is composed, is not exactly life's friend.  In fact I would say that she is a cold and indifferent bitch.

Having an alphabet soup bureaucracy has solved nothing really.  I'm not going to bother with your second post because it is your usual stupidity.  Mostly what the EPA does these days is harass Amish farmers and increase the cost of doing business.

Well this is certainly nonsense.  The EPA is far from perfect, but the air is much better today than it was in my youth.  The same applies to our lakes, rivers and streams.  Then there are the superfund sites, of which many still exist: 

[Image: Superfund_sites.svg]

Can I assume that you don't want to live on a toxic waste dump?
There's a town about ten miles away from me in which I don't want to live because about half of it (an old industrial area with lots of hexavalent chromium and PCBs (including the infamous dioxin) has dangerous groundwater due to toxic dumping from the 1920 to the 1970s, old polluters having largely relocated elsewhere or folded). Of course the town is also an economic wreck. It's a high-cancer zone. I'm not giving details because I know people who live there. I am surprised that the town still exists.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Breaking News from Newsmax.com

The Environmental Protection Agency ordered three of its scientists who were scheduled to discuss climate change at a conference on Monday in Rhode Island to cancel their appearance, The New York Times reported on Sunday. The decision illustrates the widespread concern that the EPA under President Donald Trump will do everything it can to silence those who warn about climate change.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-23-2017, 12:51 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Breaking News from Newsmax.com

The Environmental Protection Agency ordered three of its scientists who were scheduled to discuss climate change at a conference on Monday in Rhode Island to cancel their appearance, The New York Times reported on Sunday. The decision illustrates the widespread concern that the EPA under President Donald Trump will do everything it can to silence those who warn about climate change.

Why of course!  Trump lobotomized the EPA with Scott Pruitt.   Oh, and he looks fucking old for being born in 1968. That means he got the face he deserves, man. Cool  I mean, can't he remember leaded gas? Can't he remember smog? I think he needs to have some Flint MI water. He loves pollution.

Republican agenda:
#MakeAmericaGildedAgain.   I bet Republicans love Amazon's sweat shops 'cause the contribute to GDP.
---Value Added Cool
Trump's pipeline has troubles.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keyston...index.html

(CNN)A total of 210,000 gallons of oil leaked Thursday from the Keystone Pipeline in South Dakota, the pipeline's operator, TransCanada, said.

Crews shut down the pipeline Thursday morning, and officials are investigating the cause of the leak, which occurred about three miles southeast of the town of Amherst, said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the state's Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

This is the largest Keystone oil spill to date in South Dakota, Walsh said. The leak comes just days before Nebraska officials announce a decision on whether the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline, a sister project, can move forward.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M