Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone knows James Gordinier's book?
It's called "X Saves the World: How Generation X Got the Shaft but Can Still Keep Everything from Sucking". Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143115154/ (if this counts as advertisement, just cut it out)

Never heard of it before, although it's ten years old. Ratings are mixed, maybe because Boomers and Silents don't like it. The recommendations sound good.
Never read it but I do have an extremely old copy (printed in the late 1990s) of the book: "Revolution X: A Survival Guide for Our Generation" https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Surviv...0140235329

Boomers and Silents also hate this book because it advocates saving oneself for retirement and undoing the New Deal, as well as a hard and fast return to capitalism.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
Thanks for the tip!
(10-29-2019, 09:34 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: It's called "X Saves the World: How Generation X Got the Shaft but Can Still Keep Everything from Sucking". Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143115154/ (if this counts as advertisement, just cut it out)

Never heard of it before, although it's ten years old. Ratings are mixed, maybe because Boomers and Silents don't like it. The recommendations sound good.

I read it some years ago.  It was published in 2008 or 2009, and it was dated even when I read it.  A lot has happened since the days of George W. Bush and Jersey Shore.  For one thing, Millennials weren't really mature enough to judge then, which he did, somewhat harshly.  Generally I doubt the book ages very well.

(11-04-2019, 06:36 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Never read it but I do have an extremely old copy (printed in the late 1990s) of the book:  "Revolution X: A Survival Guide for Our Generation"  https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Surviv...0140235329

Boomers and Silents also hate this book because it advocates saving oneself for retirement and undoing the New Deal, as well as a hard and fast return to capitalism.

Well, we've tried that answer, and it worked great for some people but horribly for most.  The capitalist wave of the last 40 years is now a complete cycle, with younger retirees the complete product of this plan.  The top 10% of earners did OK, though only the top ~2% really benefitted in full.  I call that a failure by any rational measure.  BTW, I'm a beneficiary, so this isn't sour grapes on my part.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-26-2019, 09:47 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:34 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: It's called "X Saves the World: How Generation X Got the Shaft but Can Still Keep Everything from Sucking". Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143115154/ (if this counts as advertisement, just cut it out)

I read it some years ago.  It was published in 2008 or 2009, and it was dated even when I read it.  A lot has happened since the days of George W. Bush and Jersey Shore.  For one thing, Millennials weren't really mature enough to judge then, which he did, somewhat harshly.  Generally I doubt the book ages very well.

Agreed.  Bad assumptions always lead to false conclusions.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-26-2019, 09:47 PM)gabrielle Wrote: For one thing, Millennials weren't really mature enough to judge then, which he did, somewhat harshly.

Recently I went to some other forum where many Millies are, and it's just horrible how many empty promises they believe. So, I have some doubt about "mature enough to judge".
(11-29-2019, 05:15 AM)Hintergrund Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 09:47 PM)gabrielle Wrote: For one thing, Millennials weren't really mature enough to judge then, which he did, somewhat harshly.

Recently I went to some other forum where many Millies are, and it's just horrible how many empty promises they believe. So, I have some doubt about "mature enough to judge".

They're due for some disappointments, to be sure.  But they can't get discouraged, they need to keep up the fight.  That's what the Crisis era is all about, no?

(11-29-2019, 05:15 AM)Hintergrund Wrote:

H-m-m-m.  If you know, how old was the center demographic on that forum?  Older and younger Millennials seem to have different blind spots -- as do we all.  From what I can tell, older Millennials are finally becoming more pragmatic out of self defense, but the youth are still uber-idealistic.