Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"OK boomer" is conservative shaming?
I never heard that used against left-wing boomers like Jeremy Corbyn or Elizabeth Warren. It's always about conservative boomers who don't care about global warming, go to church and are not "inclusive" enough.

Was there something like "OK missionary" meme against conservative Missionaries during the previous 4T?
By what I have seen, the ones saying that seem to be either the far right or the far left.
"Ok boomer" simply acknowledges that the boomer is correct, and the speaker is appreciative at learning valuable new information. No surprise that it's never used with Corbyn or Warren.
(01-09-2020, 03:15 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: "Ok boomer" simply acknowledges that the boomer is correct, and the speaker is appreciative at learning valuable new information.  No surprise that it's never used with Corbyn or Warren.

OK Boomer is pure snark.  There is no single source or target … except the obvious generational one.  To be honest, though, Xers are blazing new trails of social, economic and political disfunction.  As a generation, Boomers are being displaced as the worst.   With Xers, it's endemic, and getting worse.  Unlike Boomers, Xers kept their dysfunction in the private sector where oversight is almost nonexistent.  

The Boeing 737 Max is a perfect example of corporate rot, but only one of many.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
It strikes me as meaning "whatever, person from the past, your viewpoint is growing more irrelevant by the day anyway."

And "Boomer" is coming to mean "anyone older than a Millennial." Or, "anyone whose life is primarily located in the old, dying saeculum."
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(01-11-2020, 10:35 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 03:15 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: "Ok boomer" simply acknowledges that the boomer is correct, and the speaker is appreciative at learning valuable new information.  No surprise that it's never used with Corbyn or Warren.

OK Boomer is pure snark.  There is no single source or target … except the obvious generational one.  To be honest, though, Xers are blazing new trails of social, economic and political disfunction.  As a generation, Boomers are being displaced as the worst.   With Xers, it's endemic, and getting worse.  Unlike Boomers, Xers kept their dysfunction in the private sector where oversight is almost nonexistent.  

It is snark, I agree, directed at both Boomers and Xers IMO (since the fine points of differentiating between the generations are lost to most people).

Ouch about Xer dysfunction in the corporate world. In the last saeculum the New Deal took over to replace the dysfunctional private sector. But what is going to happen now? Seems to just be getting worse.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(01-11-2020, 12:18 PM)sbarrera Wrote:

It is snark, I agree, directed at both Boomers and Xers IMO (since the fine points of differentiating between the generations are lost to most people).

Ouch about Xer dysfunction in the corporate world. In the last saeculum the New Deal took over to replace the dysfunctional private sector. But what is going to happen now? Seems to just be getting worse.

I thought that the Gen Xers were called "Karens", not "boomers".
(01-11-2020, 12:15 PM)sbarrera Wrote: And "Boomer" is coming to mean "anyone older than a Millennial." Or, "anyone whose life is primarily located in the old, dying saeculum."

I think it's actually "anyone older than a postmillenial".  I saw a complaint a few days ago from a Millenial about being a target of the comment, and I never saw the comment before postmillenials became old enough to speak up, which is about age 9 as far as I can tell.
(01-11-2020, 03:04 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 12:18 PM)sbarrera Wrote:

I thought that the Gen Xers were called "Karens", not "boomers".

"Karen" has wider coverage than any one generation and targets the "I'd like to speak to the manager" types, who usually do so over something minor. The only real prerequisite is that the subject is a woman because people of any age can be like a Karen.
Me, I prefer "Whatever, Boomer" myself - and I use it quite often on facebook, usually just before blocking a Boomer who is a hopeless Ayn Rand groupie.

"Go, Boomer" is also popular.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
I have seen "okay boomer" refer to anything from early wave Gen X all the way to GI Gen (so....literally encompassing 4 generations). Admittedly, there are times when I think it's appropriate. For example, there is a boomer tendency toward talking past people with over-simplified rhetoric and unsolicited advice that deserves to be called out when it arises, but in practice, yes, it's often used to shame conservative boomers (and other generations) who are not displaying this tendency, while not being used in other contexts where it would be appropriate because the aforementioned boomer is a liberal.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boomer Champions of the Fourth Turning sbarrera 0 3,281 08-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Boomer Champions of the Coronapocalypse sbarrera 16 10,679 04-27-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  Some bad Boomer memes Hintergrund 15 10,459 12-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a