Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Coronavirus
(Yesterday, 05:39 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN reports WHO confirms there's 'emerging evidence' of airborne transmission of coronavirus

This doesn't seem like news.  The major purpose of masks is to vastly decrease the wearer's putting coronavirus spray in the air.  Masks have been a big part of fighting the bug since Wuhan.

I think the new info here is the degree to which the virus can travel and be persistent.  If 6 feet is simply not enough, and the virus hangs in the air for hours, we're in a new ballgame.  Most of the indoor recommendations become moot, except for masking.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/us/tulsa-...index.html

Two weeks after President Trump made an irresponsible and pointless campaign trip to Tulsa, Tulsa-area hospitals have had 500 new cases of COVID-10 in two days.

I am surprised that the Secret Service, which is charged with the safety and security of the President, did not nix that trip.

an aside: I have a suggestion for masks that would offer free advertising for their suppliers and make the message obvious. The advertisers?

Funeral homes!

I do not ordinarily offer free advertising to anyone... and the subject is ordinarily too macabre for my taste. But this is an abnormal time, and this is the one time in which I would make such an exception.

I am tired of seeing people without masks. At this point the alternative to "Mask it" is the rhyme "casket".

I want to hear that people got two blocks away from their intended destination and turned back so that they could get a mask.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

A tisket, a tasket,
Now's the time to mask it.
You'd better do the task, it
keeps you from your casket.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
New sad record for the USA in daily case numbers: 61,848.
world: 213,280

Nations with the most reported new cases today:
USA 61,848
Brazil 41,541
India 25,571
South Africa 8810
Russia 6562
Mexico 6258
Colombia 4144
Peru 3633
Argentina 3604
Bangladesh 3489
Saudi Arabia 3036
Pakistan 2980
Iraq 2741
Iran 2691
Philippines 2486
Chile 2064
Indonesia 1853
Kazakhstan 1376
Israel 1335
Oman 1210
Dominican Republic 1158
Turkey 1041
Bolivia 1036
Egypt 1025
Panama 960
Ethiopia 928
Ghana 854

States with most new reported cases today:
Texas 10,199
Florida 9989
California 8561
Arizona 3520
Georgia 3420
Tennessee 2472
Louisiana 1888
South Carolina 1557
Ohio 1250
Alabama 1177

It is notable that there is only one first world country on the list now, the one at the top. And only one blue US state.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(Yesterday, 12:29 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(Yesterday, 05:39 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: CNN reports WHO confirms there's 'emerging evidence' of airborne transmission of coronavirus

This doesn't seem like news.  The major purpose of masks is to vastly decrease the wearer's putting coronavirus spray in the air.  Masks have been a big part of fighting the bug since Wuhan.

I think the new info here is the degree to which the virus can travel and be persistent.  If 6 feet is simply not enough, and the virus hangs in the air for hours, we're in a new ballgame.  Most of the indoor recommendations become moot, except for masking.

Ventilation may help for indoor places, reducing that persistence, so I heard.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11 hours ago)Eric the Green Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:29 PM)David Horn Wrote:

Ventilation may help for indoor places, reducing that persistence, so I heard.

Yes, some filters that block particles the size of the virus could help but not totally block the spread.  Not cheap or common yet.  Not clear if such systems will become part of the new normal.  They might become standard in places which are extremely vulnerable, such as meat packing plants, nursing homes and prisons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T sbarrera 25 596 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew