Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Coronavirus
(03-25-2021, 09:42 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 03:32 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 04:32 PM)Einzige Wrote: Nor will it be. Because Biden is basically indistinguishable on policy from Trump.

And you are basically indistinguishable from Classic Xer, Cynic Hero and the libertarian. One fanatic troll sounds just like another after a while.

Well, I don't have any trouble telling the difference between Biden and Trump.  That must be a clue that the ideology blinds one to it.

Also, if you take the fanatic trolls seriously, you use different language and arguments depending on which troll you are responding to.  The only question is if you have enough energy to take them seriously?  COVID's shutting down of many activities has left me with nothing better to do than respond to the trolls.  I just signed up for my vaccine shot, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Do COVID vaccines kill trolls?

This dude is literally locking up immigrants in the same camps as Trump. He's already given up on major reforms to Healthcare promised during his campaign. He's Blue Trump, lol.
(03-22-2021, 05:58 PM)Einzige Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:10 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 02:11 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [Image: 4f845b82fc10854406c40b90e0ab90a3a592fc3e...=800&h=442]

[Image: 64da2715c78fb10a1c9b910b66ed330afa81f76b...=800&h=343]

Stupid leadership gets people killed.
Yep. Stupid leadership gets people killed. I don't think it's wise to open borders to migrants who have COVID and release them by thousands like Biden is doing today. Oh. BTW, partisan hack like you who support and turn a blind to what their stupid leaders are doing that seriously contradicts their positions deserve whatever bad happens/occurs to them.

Biden's immigration policy is barely any different from Trump's. Lmfao.

Quote: [color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]CARRIZO SPRINGS, Tex. — Dozens of migrant teens boarded vans Monday for the trip down a dusty road to a former man camp for oil field workers here, the first migrant child facility opened under the Biden administration.[/color]
Support our journalism. Subscribe today.
[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]The emergency facility — a vestige of the Trump administration that was open for only a month in summer 2019 — is being reactivated to hold up to 700 children ages 13 to 17.[/color]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/...story.html

It's all the same right-wing bullshit. Trump had camps, Biden has camps. Trump had pro-business stimulus spending, Biden has pro-business stimulus spending. In true Democratic fashion (for after all, it was the Democratic Party which accomplished the Republican goals of NAFTA, the "end of welfare as we know it", etc.) these camps will be open for a lot longer than "just a month in 2019".

My Blue Hero! My Grey Champion! He's governing like a oh like a Bush-era Republican. Like Democrats invariably do.

It is a fact - an objective fucking fact- that the Democratic Party is a Party of Capital, and a hard right Party at that. Keep the proles poor and nationalist; keep Capital liquid and global. And Kamala Harris is a pig and will govern like a pig given the chance, but being a female BIPOC will insulate her from criticism as she puts the finishing touches on the capitalist police State.
By European standards the Democratic Party of the United States is a conservative Party. The Republican Party used to be a conservative party but it has become increasingly right-wing -- something like ARENA parties in Latin America.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(03-25-2021, 07:47 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: By European standards the Democratic Party of the United States is a conservative Party. The Republican Party used to be a conservative party but it has become increasingly right-wing -- something like ARENA parties in Latin America.

By any rational standards the Democratic Party is a far-right Party and not very distinguishable from the Republicans.
(03-25-2021, 06:42 PM)Einzige Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 02:11 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: [Image: 4f845b82fc10854406c40b90e0ab90a3a592fc3e...=800&h=442]

Yep. Stupid leadership gets people killed. I don't think it's wise to open borders to migrants who have COVID and release them by thousands like Biden is doing today. Oh. BTW, partisan hack like you who support and turn a blind to what their stupid leaders are doing that seriously contradicts their positions deserve whatever bad happens/occurs to them.

Quote: [color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]CARRIZO SPRINGS, Tex. — Dozens of migrant teens boarded vans Monday for the trip down a dusty road to a former man camp for oil field workers here, the first migrant child facility opened under the Biden administration.[/color]
[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]The emergency facility — a vestige of the Trump administration that was open for only a month in summer 2019 — is being reactivated to hold up to 700 children ages 13 to 17.[/color]

It's all the same right-wing bullshit. Trump had camps, Biden has camps. Trump had pro-business stimulus spending, Biden has pro-business stimulus spending. In true Democratic fashion (for after all, it was the Democratic Party which accomplished the Republican goals of NAFTA, the "end of welfare as we know it", etc.) these camps will be open for a lot longer than "just a month in 2019".

My Blue Hero! My Grey Champion! He's governing like a oh like a Bush-era Republican. Like Democrats invariably do.

It is a fact - an objective fucking fact- that the Democratic Party is a Party of Capital, and a hard right Party at that. Keep the proles poor and nationalist; keep Capital liquid and global. And Kamala Harris is a pig and will govern like a pig given the chance, but being a female BIPOC will insulate her from criticism as she puts the finishing touches on the capitalist police State.
Biden is governing like one would expect a bumbling old man with dementia to be governing at this point. He's just a figure head like the modern queen of mighty old England aka the British Empire. Guess what, the Democratic version of mighty old England has now fully committed to go down the same path as them without the consent of the other half of the country. In short, they're arrogance and stupidity and reliance upon old laurels that no longer exist will be their downfall. Their downfall will present people like you with an opportunity to rise up and overthrow them.
(03-25-2021, 08:45 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:

Biden is governing like one would expect a bumbling old man with dementia to be governing at this point. He's just a figure head like the modern queen of mighty old England aka the British Empire. Guess what, the Democratic version of mighty old England has now fully committed to go down the same path as them without the consent of the other half of the country. In short, they're arrogance and stupidity and reliance upon old laurels that no longer exist will be their downfall. Their downfall will present people like you with an opportunity to rise up and overthrow them.

I mean, the Republicans are just as grotesque and retarded, and nobody should want to live in the nightmare world a Republican dictatorship would impose.
(03-25-2021, 07:59 PM)Einzige Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:47 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: By European standards the Democratic Party of the United States is a conservative Party. The Republican Party used to be a conservative party but it has become increasingly right-wing -- something like ARENA parties in Latin America.

By any rational standards the Democratic Party is a far-right Party and not very distinguishable from the Republicans.
I agree, the only difference between us and them is that the Democrats prefer to pay someone else to slit your throat for them or slowly bleed you death where as we will slit your throats ourselves and prefer get it over with quick and move on. I also agree with PB, the Democratic party of today is pretty much in the same position as the Tories who lost their control over America during the civil war that was fought with American Revolutionary's/ Patriots during the Revolutionary War.
(03-25-2021, 09:13 PM)Einzige Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 08:45 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:10 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: Yep. Stupid leadership gets people killed. I don't think it's wise to open borders to migrants who have COVID and release them by thousands like Biden is doing today. Oh. BTW, partisan hack like you who support and turn a blind to what their stupid leaders are doing that seriously contradicts their positions deserve whatever bad happens/occurs to them.

I mean, the Republicans are just as grotesque and retarded, and nobody should want to live in the nightmare world a Republican dictatorship would impose.
The Republican base wouldn't tolerate a Republican dictatorship anymore than it would tolerate a Democratic dictatorship. The truth is that you're more likely to end up living under a Democratic dictatorship of some sort than a Republican dictatorship these days. The Republican side is loaded with American believers these days.

I got to watch the Democratic leader bungle his way through his first micro managed press conference today. I got to watch him pick a name from his list and I even got to watch him read the answers to their questions too. I'll give you credit, you're not as dumb or as gullible or as misguided as the bulk of the Democratic believers/followers these days.
I mean, I am a Marxist. An actual Communist. What you think the Democrats are, but they aren't (and they don't pretend to be).

There's no distinction between the Democratic and Republican Parties other than the mealy interests of their social bases. One caters more to extractive and manufacturing interests, the other to financial and importing interests. There isn't a Goddamn lick of difference otherwise
(03-26-2021, 01:11 AM)Einzige Wrote: I mean, I am a Marxist. An actual Communist. What you think the Democrats are, but they aren't (and they don't pretend to be).

There's no distinction between the Democratic and Republican Parties other than the mealy interests of their social bases. One caters more to extractive and manufacturing interests, the other to financial and importing interests. There isn't a Goddamn lick of difference otherwise.
As I mentioned before, I have no interest in communism or Marxism.
(03-26-2021, 01:11 AM)Einzige Wrote: I mean, I am a Marxist. An actual Communist. What you think the Democrats are, but they aren't (and they don't pretend to be).

There's no distinction between the Democratic and Republican Parties other than the mealy interests of their social bases. One caters more to extractive and manufacturing interests, the other to financial and importing interests. There isn't a Goddamn lick of difference otherwise

Really? Do you mean that there is no meaningful difference between Donald Trump and either his predecessor or his successor? That there is no difference between Senator Ron "reincarnation of Joseph R. McCarthy?" Johnson and Tammy Baldwin? 

As it is, the Republican and Democratic Parties differ in their bases of support... well, that is how democratic systems work. The British reform bills of the nineteenth century that improved the conditions of the working class had the sponsorship of the more agrarian Tories; those same Tories exploited farm labor badly. Eventually the more Whig-like, industrial Liberals got power and used it to reform living conditions among the rural proletariat. 

I recognize that we all need to see the politics of super-rich interests with some distrust. The greatest profits come from the establishment and exploitation of scarcity.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(03-26-2021, 07:30 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Really? Do you mean that there is no meaningful difference between Donald Trump and either his predecessor or his successor? That there is no difference between Senator Ron "reincarnation of Joseph R. McCarthy?" Johnson and Tammy Baldwin? 

As it is, the Republican and Democratic Parties differ in their bases of support... well, that is how democratic systems work. The British reform bills of the nineteenth century that improved the conditions of the working class had the sponsorship of the more agrarian Tories; those same Tories exploited farm labor badly. Eventually the more Whig-like, industrial Liberals got power and used it to reform living conditions among the rural proletariat. 

I recognize that we all need to see the politics of super-rich interests with some distrust. The greatest profits come from the establishment and exploitation of scarcity.

A worldview can literally change how the world is viewed.  Einzige literally has been made incapable of perceiving any difference.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(03-26-2021, 07:30 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Yes, really. Even MUH PROGRESSIVE HEROES like Paul Wellstone were bourgeois shitscum (capitalist progressives are even more insidious than  conservatives- progressives develop the architecture of capitalist social control, e.g. Social Security, which the bourgeois State administers).

As this crisis of capitalism deepens - and it indeed is a crisis of capitalism, of material production, and not of the voodoo arrangement of stars in the zodiac or of generations - the Democratic Party will increasingly reveal itself for the raw, brutal instrument of bourgeois class domination which it actually is.
As I have understood Marx, he saw the last stage of human history as Communism (not to be confused with Communist parties) in which technology, morals, and good government would banish scarcity from human existence. He saw capitalism as too slow because an inordinate share of income would go to owners who would fritter away the profits on crass indulgence -- castles, palaces, harems, and financial scams. Socialism would take out the entrepreneurs whose power, indulgence, and gain are the purpose of a capitalist order. Socialism would bring democracy to the economic order.

So whom do you trust as stewards of the economic resources -- tycoons or working-class voters? The usual capitalist (is bourgeoisie an even greater insult than "m---rf---er" in your lexicon?) argument is that ownership and management of assets is too complicated to be done by politicians. Well, I certainly would not trust any combination of President and Congress to manage the productive part of the economy. A central planning board responsible to the elected officials? Bureaucracies of any kind almost never innovate, and they are rarely efficient. I can tell you about a thoroughly-capitalist community that has no bureaucracy, is quite efficient in stewardship of assets, and gets surprisingly good (by American standards) of social equality. It has no Big Business or joint-stock companies, and crony capitalism is not its way of doing things. I will leave you guessing on who they are.

I have my theory on why giant capitalist enterprises get bloated bureaucracies. Remember well that capitalism is not a suicide pact for capitalists. The tycoons well know what awaits them after the Socialist Revolution.

It may seem a digression, but most societies end up with far more smart people than they really need to do the brain work necessary for meeting basic needs (like medicine and dentistry), engineering and design, accounting, law, research science, creative work, and teaching. The average IQ in America is 100, and that is well below the genius level. Most end up as bureaucrats. They can shuffle papers all day and think that they are productive; they are happy because they are being paid better than raw laborers (who mostly have IQ's in the low-normal range). They have Buicks, top-end Hondas, and Chryslers of recent vintage instead of the decrepit jalopies that honest-to-proletariat workers are able to get at some tote-the-note lot and live in a single-family house in any place other than some megalopolis with constricted space (like greater New York City), and get top-notch television as opposed to the schlock that the proles watch.

So why do the plutocrats have the bureaucrats? It looks good... and remember what smart people struggling for survival in an economic order that more blatantly has no need for them might do. They might study Marx, Engels, Lenin, and whatever intellectual successors they choose (Trotsky, Stalin, Mao, Hoxha, Tito, Castro, Pol Pot...) for hints on how to make an appeal to people terribly underpaid and overworked. You know, as the late Tennessee Ernie Ford sang

(You dig Sixteen Tons and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt!)

in a promise of an order that treats them well.

(03-26-2021, 11:04 AM)Einzige Wrote: Yes, really. Even MUH PROGRESSIVE HEROES like Paul Wellstone were bourgeois shitscum (capitalist progressives are even more insidious than  conservatives- progressives develop the architecture of capitalist social control, e.g. Social Security, which the bourgeois State administers).

As this crisis of capitalism deepens - and it indeed is a crisis of capitalism, of material production, and not of the voodoo arrangement of stars in the zodiac or of generations - the Democratic Party will increasingly reveal itself for the raw, brutal instrument of bourgeois class domination which it actually is.

I normally ignore your rants, but I'll make and exception this time. 

Just what will your version of the great Marxist nirvana actually look like?  It certainly will differ from Marx's vision, since the need for human labor will vanish in the coming decades.  Will there continue to be wealthier people? I think so, not because we can't wrest control from them, but due to our need for entertainment.  The Ritzy-Glitzy are always fun to watch, and have to live in a transparent bubble for the privilege of being them.  The penury of the 19th century and the démodé persuasions of the 20th will give way to something not totally level, but high enough at the bottom that folks wishing to have that life will be comfortable enough, and those wishing more will be able to access it easily (if not for free).  The bottom will rise and the top will recede, but equality will never occur.  Why?  Because people are all different, have different wants and needs, and some as yet undefined hierarchy will develop to accommodate that, like it or not.

Note: none of us will live to see this; we may see it begin. Using Bob Butler's spirals of progress model, we will take a few steps back along the way, but progress overall.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(03-25-2021, 09:30 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:59 PM)Einzige Wrote:

I agree, the only difference between us and them is that the Democrats prefer to pay someone else to slit your throat for them or slowly bleed you death where as we will slit your throats ourselves and prefer get it over with quick  and move on. I also agree with PB, the Democratic party of today is pretty much in the same position as the Tories who lost their control over America during the civil war that was fought with American Revolutionary's/ Patriots during the Revolutionary War.

Reported for threatening language, category "terrorist threat". Get it over and then move on? That is how someone like Adolf Eichmann sought to solve the "Jewish problem". (Pssst -- there was nothing wrong with the German people between 1933 and 1945 that Judaism would not have solved.  

We liberals are not the sorts who slit throats or pay others to do so on our behalf. We have some moral standards, which explains why New York Democrats are on the brink of impeaching Governor Andrew Cuomo. We liberals have nothing but disdain for any  Night of the Long Lives or any of the brutal purges that Commie regimes did of the old regime or of those Communists who seem too compromised with the old way of doing things as opposed to what was the new one in 1947 to 1950 with someone like Matyas Rakosi, a "red quisling" who praised himself as  "Stalin's finest Hungarian pupil". Your rhetoric suggests something more like the massacres in Rwanda or Yugoslavia.

Classic X'er, I suggest that you discuss your terroristic fantasy with clergy. You do not have so much mental illness as a moral gap. I'm not going to disparage atheism or agnosticism -- but if one is going to be an atheist or agnostic one had better have a well-defined morality and a humane culture. Your language suggests the worst and most dangerous trait that people can have: cruelty, the cause of much pointless suffering. Second-worst is unbridled greed.    

I assume that you are at least a nominal Christian. Well, be a genuine one! 

Thou shalt not kill! 

How one state is (mis)handling COVID-19, and with appalling consequences

[Image: fpwebsitelogo.fw_2.png]

The Florida Department of Health reported more than 5,700 new cases.

Florida saw an uptick in fatal outcomes for COVID-19 on Friday, with a daily report from the Florida Department of Health confirming an additional 167 pandemic-related deaths.

That comes the same day the state tallied an additional 5,750 new positive tests for the coronavirus since Thursday’s release. That brings total infections to 2,033,179, including 1,995,548 Florida residents and another 37,631 visitors to the state tested in Florida.

The death toll climbed to 33,756. That includes 33,116 who lived in the state and 640 who died here.

Health officials on Thursday processed an additional 121,105 tests for the virus, with 8,636 of those positive for COVID-19. That’s a positivity rate of 7.13%. Health officials consider the spread of the virus contained if that rate stays below 10%. For only new cases among Florida residents, the positivity is lower, 5.69%.

A Thursday update to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed no increase in cases of variant mutations of the virus. Florida still leads the nation in two strains, with 1,042 cases of the B.1.1.7 variation and 23 instances of the P.1 variant. The state also has 10 cases of the B.1.351 strain.

But the state continues to make inroads with vaccinations. A total of, 5,475,209 individuals have received at lease one dose of vaccine in the state. More than 3 million have been fully vaccinated.

That includes 202,452 who took the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Another 2,801,951 have received both required doses of the Pfizer or Moderna shots, and another 2,470,806 have received their first shot and await one more dose to complete the series.

Editor’s note on methodology: The Florida Department of Health releases new data every morning around 10:45 a.m. The total number reported in those daily reports include the previous day’s totals as well as the most up to date data as of about 9:30 a.m.

Florida Politics uses the report-over-report increase to document the number of new cases each day because it represents the most up-to-date data available. Some of the more specific data, including positivity rates and demographics, considers a different data set that includes only cases reported the previous day.

This is important to note because the DOH report lists different daily totals than our methodology to show day-over-day trends. Their numbers do not include nonresidents who tested positive in the state and they only include single-day data, therefore some data in the DOH report may appear lower than what we report.

Our methodology was established based on careful consideration among our editorial staff to capture both the most recent and accurate trends.

https://floridapolitics.com/2021/03/27/florida-reports-another-167-covid-19-deaths/

Texas and Florida are both suffering the consequences now of their appalling policies. Eastern states are suffering the ravages of the UK variant. New York finally went down a bit in new cases, and CA about 2300 yesterday.

Reports say that younger people are the ones catching the virus. The vaccines are working.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-31-2021, 01:52 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Texas and Florida are both suffering the consequences now of their appalling policies. Eastern states are suffering the ravages of the UK variant. New York finally went down a bit in new cases, and CA about 2300 yesterday.

Reports say that younger people are the ones catching the virus. The vaccines are working.

Those two states, the two most populous in America, never did what was necessary for meeting the pandemic. Their state governments have so dedicated themselves to the concept that people so care only about their economic lives that they are willing to risk their lives and health to a viral infection that is now mostly preventable. 

Out of curiosity I checked to see if COVID-19 is sexually transmissible, and [/url][url=https://www.mayoclinic.org/sex-and-coronavirus/expert-answers/faq-20486572]the Mayo Clinic answered some of my questions. Sexual activity often exposes people to COVID-19 through infections other than through the genitals through the  spread of the virus through kissing (which is not considered a sexual act) and contact with infected clothing, bedding, etc. It is not known to be transmissible through semen or through vaginal fluids. Coughing, of course. COVID-19 can pass fully through the digestive tract, so we all know where that leads (I will not be more explicit than that).   

I had to bring this up, didn't I?

Quote:    If you are sexually active with someone outside of your household, consider these precautions to reduce your risk of getting the COVID-19 virus:
  • Minimize the number of sexual partners you have.

• Avoid sex partners who have symptoms of COVID-19.

• Avoid kissing.

• Avoid sexual behaviors that have a risk of fecal-oral transmission or that involve semen or urine.

• Use condoms and dental dams during oral and anal sex.

• Wear a mask during sexual activity.

• Wash your hands and shower before and after sexual activity.

• Wash sex toys before and after using them.

• Use soap or alcohol wipes to clean the area where you have sexual activity.

[Image: X9sBuCe.png]

Objective data from the New York Times. Statistics overpower rhetoric any day.

My conclusion: people are getting reckless, and they will be paying with their lives. .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 813 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,425 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T sbarrera 25 8,640 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew