Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inform Each Other?
Hi, I would like to gather a VERY tiny bit of information myself concerning what is happening.  I've no idea how many ppl look at this, doesn't matter I guess.  I wouldn't put this somewhere else, so consider you are the guinea pig {inset snort} hahaa

So, I am very interested in what is happening with ppl. If interested, please include here, after me, where you live generally OR specifically and for fun, say if you are which of the 4 archetypes of Strauss & Howe? Talk a little about what you are seeing/experiencing in your own community. Be as vague or specific as you like.

me first

I live in southern california, I am Nomad, really I see nothing different except a lot less traffic. But now, increasingly, influence FROM OUTSIDE changing our behaviors. I sense no real malaise within the ppl I know or their behavior except where they are being hindered by an outside force. Meaning, they have cancelled doctor appointment or their hairdresser cannot or the store they are trying to go to is not open. Ok laugh, Starbucks are all open. They just pulled floor seating. I haven't encountered one that is closed, nor one that is limited to drive thru only. Then, I was a little alarmed to learn Ikea is not open. Not because I had to go there, because it's the first big store, and one unique to larger areas, that is closed. I looked at this, you can actually buy things online and pick them up there, you just can't shop in the store.  Seems odd, but it works I guess!

Traffic here is hateful, I've said pestilence and open freeways are welcomed, as being silly of course, yet very nice.

Some ppl are over-reacting highly tho. Unnecessarily.  Yes, hoarding toilet paper, desperate for bottled water.  Both of those things are completely ridiculous and I must examine what that's about.

I am not unconvinced ppl heard about toilet paper hoarding on the news then went and did it themselves.  I am not unconvinced right now is being used for massive "marketing" purposes in public and private sectors. Monitoring how we react to EVERYTHING so it can be used later on to determine how we as a group will react to something similar.

I THINK THAT WAY.  I am not ashamed. If I look silly to you, we all then choose our own "reality" is that not right? I would rather contemplate many sides of a thing instead of one or even two.

I am seeing the exact same thing, though, by "traditional" southern california staples such as being by the ocean or shopping. No one seems to be going inside or "sheltering". Maybe we don't get that here? I dont think anyone is going to "stay inside".  That's just not going to happen.  Not here, at least. I've seen more people out walking and being with their dogs than I would expect to see right now where the weather is inclement, chillier and damp. I saw ppl out with Han-Solo-On-Hoth garb, and I always laugh seeing that Smile

[Image: Review_GGHanSoloHoth_still.JPG]

Oh yes, forgot, no systems are down, no chaos is happening, there is no interruption of services or anything of that kind. Ppl want to say "California" as like, all of it is the same. It really is not. A thing of urban vs smaller communities has the most to do with it, but also geography. I say because there is a huge part of northern california blocked up or put under arrest or something, I don't know anything about that. It reminds me of those old movies where the non-descript small town that could be Lodi or Ojai gets taken over by the government with some weird outbreak, the roads are blocked off and the young, salty kids want to go through it with a big jeep and local firepower. I was the other day walking on a lovely cliff looking at all the people around.
I’m from Massachusetts, blue, prophet, and retired.  I live between lakes near Cape Cod.  A few years back I had a brain tumor, and various doctors are still dealing with the after effects.  Most of this is at a fairly low level given time.

I have spent much of the last few weeks getting calls by doctors cancelling appointments.  All the monitoring and maintenance visits are coming to a stop as the health care system reorients itself to the virus.  For the duration, minimizing contact is rated as more important than routine check ups.

The fantasy role playing community is shutting down.  The restaurants are gone.  The local super market has senior hours early so the most vulnerable can isolate as much as possible.  While I have been relaxed in ordering groceries by delivery as I can’t carry as much as I used to, and will pick up the items I missed at brick and mortar stores, I spent a little time recently building a list to minimize or eliminate these visits. I just signed up for delivery without coming into contact with the deliverer.  I am paying my tax person by check for the first time, to minimize contacts.  Both the tax people and I had similar ideas to do this.

Thus, I am rapidly turning into a hermit.

Now I do know that California is a split state.  There are a few large cities, mostly on the coast, backed up with huge rural areas that include much territory but fewer people. (Massachusetts is quite similar, if less rural. The western part of the state is quite sparsely populated.)  In the less populated areas, assuming you don’t have a big source of infection nearby, there are no cases and no need to take precautions.  It seems you are in a zone where this state lingers.

But in areas like ports, or near Air Force bases where they have flown in infected people and then leaked the disease into the population, it gets like Massachusetts or worse right quick.

One response does not necessarily fit all.  If we had a lot of test kits, if we knew for sure which communities could stay relaxed, sure, stay relaxed.  Thing is, we don’t have test kits.  Under the circumstances, staying relaxed while not checking reality is taking a risk.

All I can say is that your community is flirting with disaster.  If the precautions seem too strenuous for you, don’t take them?  You may have a time of living the old way a little while longer, but judging from the curves, this time could end abruptly.

They say in the old Black Death days you knew it was coming.  It was far away, then closer, then terrifyingly close, then it arrived.  These days, with all sorts of transportation, it is far more spotty.  You have areas like Iran, Italy, Washington state and New York where it has gotten into the general population.  There the professionals expect an exponential growth where all the precautions to flatten the curve are necessary.  Sounds like you aren’t there yet.  Just because you are not, don’t assume that all places are alike, and that it cannot in time change.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Gen X Nomad, living in the Philly area. Things are shutdown here - schools closed, non-essential businesses closed. Grocery stores are stripped of paper products, eggs and bread but have other supplies (last I checked). I work in software development for an investment bank, and I am mandated to work from home. Luckily my company let me take my laptop docking station and monitors from the office, and I now have them set up on my dining room table for my home office. It's actually a pretty nice set up, and I am grateful for my circumstances and focusing on earning as much as I can since I suspect that recession and layoffs are coming.

My girlfriend is already out of work, and her prospects aren't good because she is in theater. Theaters are all closed. I already know at least one other person whose livelihood has been ruined by social distancing; she runs a dance studio. It's very hard in that field right now. I worry for people.

I worry for my family, who are scattered all over the East Coast. My mom is in her 70s and lives alone. My sister works in a call center and they have not let her work from home. At least some other family members are able to work from home or have companionship, for which I am grateful.

I am definitely feeling that this is a huge social moment right now.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
Canada, southern ontario, Gen X'er. Pretty much all services & retail are shut down here (tho restaurants can stay open for takeout). Government services still need to run tho we're almost 100% working from home, which in the IT community is somewhat common so it's not a huge change for us.

Yeah, small businesses and freelancers are really getting hit hard. There's a thread on reddit of local businesses that are taking care of their employees through this with the idea that we should use those when this gets relaxed. I'm definitely paying attention to that kind of thing.
"But there's a difference between error and dishonesty, and it's not a trivial difference." - Ben Greenman
"Relax, it'll be all right, and by that I mean it will first get worse."
"How was I supposed to know that there'd be consequences for my actions?" - Gina Linetti
(03-19-2020, 07:21 AM)tg63 Wrote: Canada, southern ontario, Gen X'er. Pretty much all services & retail are shut down here (tho restaurants can stay open for takeout). Government services still need to run tho we're almost 100% working from home, which in the IT community is somewhat common so it's not a huge change for us.

Yeah, small businesses and freelancers are really getting hit hard. There's a thread on reddit of local businesses that are taking care of their employees through this with the idea that we should use those when this gets relaxed. I'm definitely paying attention to that kind of thing.

If you have a link to that reddit thread, would you mind posting it?
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
My wife and I live on a lake in central Virginia, which is generally exurban though more suburban-like along the lake itself. I'm 72 and my wife is 60 -- both are typical ages for our neighborhood and much of the lake community general. Since we have an abundance of retirees, much of the commercial enterprise is here to serve that group. So far, we still have a fair share of products on the store shelves; most restaurants are still open (though why is a mystery), and nothing is obviously amiss. We also have no known cases of COVID-19.

We're pretty vigilant. Many of our friends aren't. We haven't processed how we'll deal with that, but we've nixed socializing for the immediate future … perhaps for the duration. I'm not sure how that will play in the grand scheme of things. People will undoubtedly be offended if we refuse all invitations -- especially if this lasts the predicted 18 months. For that matter, I'm not sure how we'll cope alone either. One can only walk the dog so many times a day.

Until Medicare kicks in, my wife plans to continue working -- if she can. She works in a Federally funded dental clinic at the most at-risk occupation in the coronavirus universe: dental hygienist. Luckily, her employer is a good one, and all hygiene procedures have been put on hold for the duration. We know that going to work and doing essentially nothing isn't going to last long, so we're preparing for that now.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Ok got to add here, about restaurants. Chain things are down mostly, but I go to meals out a few times per week and mom&pop things here are still open. They have to be. Unless there is a mandate from external force.

That's what I meant, what are we seeing ourselves. We all know what is coming at us from on high. I was very interested to know what ppl are experiencing themselves wherever they are.

Isn't there a real difference in the information we get from, say, CNN as opposed to known entities (known humans) on the ground, so-to-speak. I like knowing those things from individuals.

As for us out here in california testing the gods or whatever, I like to think it's the sea air. You have to remember, ppl walking by the ocean are safe. Safe from at least spreading things. The wind takes it right into the valley. You have to know that. Ppl on the coasts are much more likely to get passed this, unless clamped down from external forces.

I know this sounds strange. However, my grandmother even used to say that. When she was not feeling well, she would go out by the waters and just hang out. She did that her entire life. She was a very healthy lady. When I saw ppl out and on the boardwalk or just walking around, that made me happy.

So many are off work or whatever and are not "supposed" to be out, but locals know things the government does not. Of course, if you live in some mining colony or inland valleys where the air is not so fresh, there are probably risks of getting sick all the time. More than we realize. Since it's been determined this is not a bio-weapon and is natural, I think we are most of us gonna be just fine.

I am looking after someone about 70yo right now. He isn't afraid. He wants to go out and do things. So, until the govt forces him inside, he will be at the beach and whatever because that is what he wants. There's no fresher and more healthy air than sea air. Our friend new Cape Cod, you should find some vistas and chill. Breathe that in and chill. Then, return home and netflix and chill. All in moderation Smile

We have to approach this rationally but with optimism. If we gonna die baby, we gonna die. Everybody must die sometime. Fear helps no one.
(03-19-2020, 12:10 PM)TheNomad Wrote: I am looking after someone about 70yo right now.  He isn't afraid. He wants to go out and do things.  So, until the govt forces him inside, he will be at the beach and whatever because that is what he wants.  There's no fresher and more healthy air than sea air. Our friend new Cape Cod, you should find some vistas and chill.  Breathe that in and  chill.  Then, return home and netflix and chill.  All in moderation Smile

We have to approach this rationally but with optimism.  If we gonna die baby, we gonna die. Everybody must die sometime. Fear helps no one.

South Florida, the ultimate Spring Break locale, closed nothing until today.  Plenty still remains open.  This is the Petri dish.  Wait two weeks and see how many cases emerge.  If it's Italy, then things will get serious, nationwide.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(03-19-2020, 12:20 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 12:10 PM)TheNomad Wrote: I am looking after someone about 70yo right now.  He isn't afraid. He wants to go out and do things.  So, until the govt forces him inside, he will be at the beach and whatever because that is what he wants.  There's no fresher and more healthy air than sea air. Our friend new Cape Cod, you should find some vistas and chill.  Breathe that in and  chill.  Then, return home and netflix and chill.  All in moderation Smile

We have to approach this rationally but with optimism.  If we gonna die baby, we gonna die. Everybody must die sometime. Fear helps no one.

South Florida, the ultimate Spring Break locale, closed nothing until today.  Plenty still remains open.  This is the Petri dish.  Wait two weeks and see how many cases emerge.  If it's Italy, then things will get serious, nationwide.

First, I must express regret and even a disdain(?) w a lol about comparing southern california to south florida.  Or that horny teens won't contract things even when not in a national shutdown.  That area is gross (omg did I say that) and is not like what I described. If you haven't been here, you have people of all kinda just walking up and down the blvd taking in the sea air, families, dog walkers. All of them "together" in those areas are no risk. They aren't together. It's not the same as everyone sitting in a closed room for dinner. You say you live by the Cape(s) you should know this.  Only difference you have the prevailing air blowing opposite direction. Ventilation is important when understanding such a transmission of anything like a virus or illness.

This as opposed to groups of drunk college students laying on each other in hotel rooms and sunbathing like roaches in the sunny humidity.  And yes, them all returning to their place of origin, that's just a nasty concept with all this.  One person there will give it to ten then all of them back to their respective towns and communities. 

Just like herpes!  lmao
Concerning the lockdown in upper california, story says

San Francisco is two days into a lockdown that has no definite end. The city and its surrounding counties imposed shelter-in-place restrictions Tuesday just after midnight, forcing millions of people to stay home and stay put except for essential needs such as shopping for groceries, getting medications, caring for others and exercising.

That last part about exercising.  I don't know that clause would be in there if they were locking down Jackson Hole, WY or whatever.

Californians understand this.  It's part of life. Being out walking or running, being out with your dogs. Walking by the sea. It's a way of life.  I don't know what they are doing in Italy, I have only been fed those stories about ppl trapped inside singing to each other, whatever.  blah blah.  No one here will accept that.  The time when no one is promenading at the ocean is when I will know there is real doom. That's my personal and real "evidence". Maybe folks in urban areas forced to be on the train and when you step outside your apartment are throngs of ppl immediately. Maybe it's better I live in a car-driven place where I'm not forced into situations like that.

Anyone who lives by the ocean needs to take advantage of that.  Ppl have lived that way from ancient times.  And eat more seafood, fresh if you can get it, cook it yourself. This virus will feed on our modernity, that we rely on driving through Barney Burger and Rooster Ranch to get unhealthy meals etc and spend too much time in unhealthy situations and not exercising.
Boomer in the greater Boston area.

The CDC and the state health people were doing their thing, tracking down the infected, isolating and quarantining, until last Wednesday.

On Wednesday, we got an email from the school system that three people in Somerville a city of about 100,000, were infected, two with kids in the public schools, including one school one of our kids goes to. That school and the other school were going to be closed for a day to be cleaned. That seemed pretty reasonable.

Within hours, they announced that the entire school system would be shut down, for two weeks. Then the state got into the act, banning large gatherings, then medium sized gatherings, then school for three weeks. Not to be outdone, the Mayor closed all eat in restaurants. Then the state did. Now, nearby towns are closing down construction sites - because everyone knows that the cramped, enclosed, outdoors environment of a building under construction is perfect for infections.

I took my daughter to a favorite restaurant, just hours before the restaurant shutdown. Dances and other small events are shutting down. There's no longer any rush hour; I was already working remotely, but now everyone is.

It's ridiculous. We went from no precautions, to reasonable precautions, to gross overkill, over a weekend. And none of this will permit enough cases to build herd immunity. People are laboring under the misconception that it's only for a week or two, when it's not likely to change until an effective vaccine is produced and released, which is likely to be a year or more. Everyone is giving up a year of their lives to avoid a small chance of a disease which for most of them won't be more than a bad cold.
(03-19-2020, 07:05 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: Boomer in the greater Boston area.

The CDC and the state health people were doing their thing, tracking down the infected, isolating and quarantining, until last Wednesday.

On Wednesday, we got an email from the school system that three people in Somerville a city of about 100,000, were infected, two with kids in the public schools, including one school one of our kids goes to.  That school and the other school were going to be closed for a day to be cleaned.  That seemed pretty reasonable.

Within hours, they announced that the entire school system would be shut down, for two weeks.  Then the state got into the act, banning large gatherings, then medium sized gatherings, then school for three weeks.  Not to be outdone, the Mayor closed all eat in restaurants.  Then the state did.  Now, nearby towns are closing down construction sites - because everyone knows that the cramped, enclosed, outdoors environment of a building under construction is perfect for infections.

I took my daughter to a favorite restaurant, just hours before the restaurant shutdown.  Dances and other small events are shutting down.  There's no longer any rush hour; I was already working remotely, but now everyone is.

It's ridiculous.  We went from no precautions, to reasonable precautions, to gross overkill, over a weekend.  And none of this will permit enough cases to build herd immunity.  People are laboring under the misconception that it's only for a week or two, when it's not likely to change until an effective vaccine is produced and released, which is likely to be a year or more.  Everyone is giving up a year of their lives to avoid a small chance of a disease which for most of them won't be more than a bad cold.

Warren Dew! seems reasonable
I'm here to report ppl are being assholes with hoarding. It's not necessary. Everyone now is being rancidly affected due to national and state scaring. Ppl have become paranoid.

When you see southern californians waiting around the block for costco toilet paper, the end is not YET -- it has come.

Yes, we are creating this panic from above. The commandments from federal and state nature are the thing causing everyone to panic. And as far as I am concerned, panic is creating a bigger suck than any virus. I've not heard of anyone that has it (is sick, sorry) but I HAVE seen a million ppl clearing out shelves now of canned fruit............ before, it was toilet paper, then tp and water, now it's just everything.

Let me tell you something. We have a host of new construction our here that is for small dwelling. If you live in an unattached dwelling (a house like many of us grew up in) that is not the thing out here. Lots of close quarters and spanking new dwellings of hundreds living in a single structure. And all of them are inside wiping their ass while tanks are in the street outside?

Rolling down the PCH? Escape from LA?

This has become the biggest suck. Now starbucks are starting to close entirely. Yes, starbucks. We love that here, make fun all you want. And everyone wants it in the drive-thru. All the starbucks were torn down and new ones built to have drive-thru. I swear we are crazy yes, but now, take that obsession and point it toward grocery stores.

A staple store here there was a line to get in. Cant let too many ppl in at once. And everyone is in line congregating. We are just gave each other the virus. BLAM and a big chain store was only taking online orders, and when you came to get your pre paid order, they had red dots on the floor 6 ft apart. You were told by employee where to stand. But waiting to get to the entrance, congregating.

It's crap. I love there is no traffic, but it is massive inconvenience to everyone. Not even due to actual threat which I expect to get sick. At my age puking is not good and hateful but whatever. I'll deal. This shit with hoarding food and special hours for seniors (because everyone is acing them out of food) it's wrong and coming simply from federal threat mandate.

If we shut down as a nation for 18 months, none of us will survive so kill me now. In the meantime, we dont need to be acting with fear it helps no one.
(03-19-2020, 08:12 PM)TheNomad Wrote: If we shut down as a nation for 18 months, none of us will survive so kill me now.  In the meantime, we dont need to be acting with fear it helps no one.

While I support a lot of sensible precautions, including some Warren thinks ridiculous, I would support the idea that hoarding is being way overdone. Many of the things that are being hoarded will continue to be manufactured at the old rate, and the hoarders will look silly. Masks and other personal protective gear? These should be left alone for the professionals to use wisely.

My handyman just today left me one pair of gloves, bought at a hardware store, that are thick enough that they are obviously designed for handymen rather than medical personnel. I figure they will last a lot of sprayings of Lysol, and did not ask for more than one set.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(03-19-2020, 08:12 PM)TheNomad Wrote: In the meantime, we dont need to be acting with fear it helps no one.

It helps the aging elites who have nothing to fear but death.
The governor of CA just called all residents to stay at home. Including Nomad? If we had test kits I could sympathize with the idea that rural areas don't need to be that paranoid, but we don't. As is, one hooker at one truck stop could have started a town downhill...
(03-19-2020, 10:23 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: The governor of CA just called all residents to stay at home.  Including Nomad?  If we had test kits I could sympathize with the idea that rural areas don't need to be that paranoid, but we don't.  As is, one hooker at one truck stop could have started a town downhill...

as you say, sir butler! there's no ban on exercise or going out. No one is going to be stopped and jailed for walking on the beach. You can still to the store and buy food so long as your stupid neighbor is not hoarding.

Angel
I was trained in the arts of having a good outlook.  I have to Idea
I used to exercise by taking the kayak around the lake, or walking around it. I would likely still be doing it today had not the brain tumor shot my sense of balance. As long as you keep your distance, no problem that I could see. Even with shot balance slowly improving, I might still expand my exercise a bit outside. Tomorrow temperatures are going to be high, and I plan to take advantage.
(03-19-2020, 10:50 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I used to exercise by taking the kayak around the lake, or walking around it.  I would likely still be doing it today had not the brain tumor shot my sense of balance.  As long as you keep your distance, no problem that I could see.  Even with shot balance slowly improving, I might still expand my exercise a bit outside.  Tomorrow temperatures are going to be high, and I plan to take advantage.

right on! dont sit in the house with the news on. my go to channel is cnn and i am not pleased with what's going on. I just feel like this is or has become something stoking paranoia.  I have to monitor all news, and the drudge report might be the worst huge offender.  constant shrieks of sensationalism and things with big red question marks.

We need to get a hold of ourselves more than we need to be fearful. It is not even proven sure exactly how the virus transmits. You could be standing near someone 6ft or 12ft and you may still get it.  And "it" being according to Warren a "Bad Flu"

I expect to get the COVID!

Bring the COVID.  I want to be on my knees wretching tonight and get it over.  I don't wish to wait like some year-long passover ceremony with the Dark Angel coming by.  I would like it more if Don Lemon was showing authentic video of how to properly paint the lamb's blood.  You know, to keep away the evil spirit?  Oh wait... it's not the evil spirit, it's god.

But you still.  Paint that blood, just don't buy all the toilet paper
(03-19-2020, 07:51 AM)sbarrera Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 07:21 AM)tg63 Wrote: Canada, southern ontario, Gen X'er. Pretty much all services & retail are shut down here (tho restaurants can stay open for takeout). Government services still need to run tho we're almost 100% working from home, which in the IT community is somewhat common so it's not a huge change for us.

If you have a link to that reddit thread, would you mind posting it?

So i looked but apparently it's just that people are posting anything that applies in the /Toronto sub. Here's one from yesterday about Loblaws who is increasing pay rates for all store and warehouse staff retroactively to Mar 8 ...
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comment..._well_done
"But there's a difference between error and dishonesty, and it's not a trivial difference." - Ben Greenman
"Relax, it'll be all right, and by that I mean it will first get worse."
"How was I supposed to know that there'd be consequences for my actions?" - Gina Linetti