Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kill the Electoral College
(12-26-2016, 03:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-25-2016, 09:40 AM)radind Wrote: We are just too far apart.  Merry Christmas.

You are just not paying attention.

May the Christ be reborn in each of us.
We have totally different perspectives. It is not a matter of attention. 
Merry Christmas
 … whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phil 4:8 (ESV)
(12-26-2016, 07:32 PM)radind Wrote:
(12-26-2016, 03:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(12-25-2016, 09:40 AM)radind Wrote: We are just too far apart.  Merry Christmas.

You are just not paying attention.

May the Christ be reborn in each of us.
We have totally different perspectives. It is not a matter of attention. 
Merry Christmas

Not, huh? I'm sure glad you watched that PBS program on Alabama, and all the other videos and articles I've posted.

What? Ya didn't?

I didn't think so.....

Hey, HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you. Smile
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Merry Christmas!

(I know, you just have a different perspective. Believe whatever you want, huh!)

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Electoral College was just fine until the Left got humiliated. Buncha whiners...........
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
Good reason to whine Smile

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-27-2016, 04:26 AM)Bronsin Wrote: The Electoral College was just fine until the Left got humiliated. Buncha whiners...........

I've always wanted to get rid of it. What people defending the institution don't understand is that the popular vote is the ultimate legitimizing force in a modern liberal democracy, and when the actual workings of government contradict that too many times the government starts losing legitimacy.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(12-27-2016, 07:47 AM)Odin Wrote:
(12-27-2016, 04:26 AM)Bronsin Wrote: The Electoral College was just fine until the Left got humiliated. Buncha whiners...........

I've always wanted to get rid of it. What people defending the institution don't understand is that the popular vote is the ultimate legitimizing force in a modern liberal democracy, and when the actual workings of government contradict that too many times the government starts losing legitimacy.

Yes and no.  There is a real need to be certain that power is shared by people throughout the country, though the EC is a poor tool to get that done.  The House of Representatives should be the tool, but it's been corrupted by political forces too.  Fixing our politics will be harder than it may seem.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
The Electoral College isn't going anywhere anytime soon for the same reason that Citizens United isn't going anywhere anytime soon: Because within none of our lifetimes - not even within the lifetimes of any Homelanders who may have joined this forum - will abolishing either obtain the necessary super-duper-majorities to make either happen.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
Indeed it will be easier for the Republicans to outlaw the Democratic Party or at the least render it into a submissive organization -- and effectively kill American democracy.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(01-06-2017, 11:19 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Indeed it will be easier for the Republicans to outlaw the Democratic Party or at the least render it into a submissive organization -- and effectively kill American democracy.

And they can do that with "ethnic cleansing" - making it just uncomfortable enough for African-Americans, Jews, LGBTs etc. so that they voluntarily leave the country.

Indeed, the fundies are so intoxicated with what they see as their newfound power that they are now harboring delusions of bringing back the entire mid-20th-Century social hierarchy - with themselves at the top, other WASPs in second place, followed by "ethnic Protestants" such as Norwegian Lutherans, the Catholics beneath them, Irish and German Catholics higher, Mediterranean Catholics lower, then the Jews, followed by Asians, Native Americans and Latinos in that order, and of course, at the absolute bottom, African-Americans.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(01-06-2017, 11:28 AM)Anthony Wrote:
(01-06-2017, 11:19 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Indeed it will be easier for the Republicans to outlaw the Democratic Party or at the  least render it into a submissive organization -- and effectively kill American democracy.

And they can do that with "ethnic cleansing" - making it just uncomfortable enough for African-Americans, Jews, LGBTs etc. so that they voluntarily leave the country.

Indeed, the fundies are so intoxicated with what they see as their newfound power that they are now harboring delusions of bringing back the entire mid-20th-Century social hierarchy - with themselves at the top, other WASPs in second place, followed by "ethnic Protestants" such as Norwegian Lutherans, the Catholics beneath them, Irish and German Catholics higher, Mediterranean Catholics lower, then the Jews, followed by Asians, Native Americans and Latinos in that order, and of course, at the absolute bottom, African-Americans.

Most likely they would cause America to splinter, with targeted people finding comparatively safe havens... even in the South there is the Black Belt, and some very liberal cities. Black people with guns might welcome white victims of political or religious persecution, but they are going to keep those guns loaded for any fascists in garish robes.

Americans will not support 'ethnic cleansing'. Middle-class white people often know some white person who has gone over to some non-white part of the middle class and joined the gene pool. Going to join the 'white trash' of ignoramuses in contempt of learning? That is for losers.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher minimum wage will kill entry-level jobs and economic growth nebraska 44 13,378 04-30-2021, 02:05 AM
Last Post: DettoLalo
  Biden push to raise minimum wage to $15 would kill 1.4 million jobs: CBO random3 6 1,603 02-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Last Post: random3
  Kill the Electoral College Eric the Green 46 22,483 01-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58