Silent -> War Baby Cusp -> Boomer
G.I. -> Greatest Cusp -> Silent
Lost -> Interbellum Cusp -> G.I.
Missionary -> Roosevelt Cusp -> Lost
Progressive -> Civil War Baby -> Missionary
Gilded -> Bloody Shirt Cusp -> Progressive
Robber Baron Cusp
Transcendental Cusp...
New Frontier Cusp (these three are inconsistent)
Republican -> Federal Cusp -> Compromise
Liberty -> Founder Cusp -> Republican

Cusps are almost as important as generations as a whole, and it'd be cool if they had official names. Let's come up with some!

The name "Charter Cusp" sounds a bit dated IMO. We should use "Zoomer Cusp" instead, because
a) It references the media calling us "Gen Z" at some point
b) It references generation memes where we're called "Zoomers" because we're the antithesis to Boomers
c) It references "Zoom", which many of us are using for online classes during the COVID-19 pandemic
d) I guess it references the "Zoomer" mechanical pet toys? They were advertised all the time on TV back in the early to mid-2010s.

I don't know where "Justice Cusp" comes from. If anyone does know, let me know.

I think we can all agree that "Jones Cusp" is a perfect name.
I'm curious about where "Justice" and "Charter" as names are coming from.

(I guess "Xennials" is kinda empty in meaning)
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
Justice Cusp seems rather too complimentary and self-congratulatory for Xennials.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(04-23-2020, 09:53 AM)sbarrera Wrote: I'm curious about where "Justice" and "Charter" as names are coming from.

(I guess "Xennials" is kinda empty in meaning)

I don't know about that. It implies, and actually is, a non-generation that exists because the pace of change created a niche that needed filling.  My son and his wife are in this cusp. He presents very X, but has some Millie sensibilities.. She's more Millie than X on the outside, but has real slacker tendencies when she feels like it. They're both achievers, family oriented and loyal to a tee.

Xennials are the too-early Millies.  9/11 happened.  Civics were called, but none showed up.  The Xennials were the closest thing on hand.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(04-23-2020, 03:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Justice Cusp seems rather too complimentary and self-congratulatory for Xennials.

I am an Xennial and I love justice Tongue 

Midriff cusp may be a good name, because of the fashion when we were teens/young adults.
(04-23-2020, 03:23 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Justice Cusp seems rather too complimentary and self-congratulatory for Xennials.

I think it's saying they are aligned with SJW movements such as BLM & #metoo. 

The BLM founders according to Wikipedia, were born 1981-1983. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter

"Me too" was founded by a 1973 cohort but when it finally fluorished as a movement it benefitted many Xennial women.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarana_Burke
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
(04-24-2020, 10:41 AM)sbarrera Wrote:

I think it's saying they are aligned with SJW movements such as BLM & #metoo. 

The BLM founders according to Wikipedia, were born 1981-1983. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter

"Me too" was founded by a 1973 cohort but when it finally fluorished as a movement it benefitted many Xennial women.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarana_Burke

I always associated SJWs with core millennial social media drones. Social media, social justice, it's almost a buzzword for them.
(04-23-2020, 08:52 AM)Camz Wrote: This document has got me thinking. It gives the following names for cusps:

Millennial -> Charter Cusp -> Homelander
X -> Justice Cusp -> Millennial
Boomer -> Jones Cusp -> X
Silent -> War Baby Cusp -> Boomer
G.I. -> Greatest Cusp -> Silent
Lost -> Interbellum Cusp -> G.I.
Missionary -> Roosevelt Cusp -> Lost
Progressive -> Civil War Baby -> Missionary
Gilded -> Bloody Shirt Cusp -> Progressive
Robber Baron Cusp
Transcendental Cusp...
New Frontier Cusp (these three are inconsistent)
Republican -> Federal Cusp -> Compromise
Liberty -> Founder Cusp -> Republican

Cusps are almost as important as generations as a whole, and it'd be cool if they had official names. Let's come up with some!

The name "Charter Cusp" sounds a bit dated IMO. We should use "Zoomer Cusp" instead, because
a) It references the media calling us "Gen Z" at some point
b) It references generation memes where we're called "Zoomers" because we're the antithesis to Boomers
c) It references "Zoom", which many of us are using for online classes during the COVID-19 pandemic
d) I guess it references the "Zoomer" mechanical pet toys? They were advertised all the time on TV back in the early to mid-2010s.

I don't know where "Justice Cusp" comes from. If anyone does know, let me know.

I think we can all agree that "Jones Cusp" is a perfect name.
I would disagree with the overall concept of naming the cusps.  Cusps are best understood as carrying characteristics of both generations, and by giving them unique names it can create an incorrect perception of unique identity associated with the cusps.
And sorry to double post, but the original document has the whole concept of a cusp wrong.  Cusps are not the different sections of a generation, but are the years BETWEEN the different generations.  I would argue cusps are usually periods of 3-4 years, but don't always exist.  For example, I don't think the Silent -> Boomer transition had much of a cusp (would be 1942-1944 years).

The cusp years around millennials (roughly) are 1981-1983 and 1997-2000.

The way I come to those years is a little backward, but something that seems clear to me is that generations have "prime" years that are unquestionably characteristic of a generation and tend to go on to be a dominant leadership force in the generation.  Nomad and Artist generations may not have a prime year, but the Hero and Prophets definitely do. 

Prophet gen prime year : 1946.  First year back from the war and every non-Obama Boomer president was born this year.

Millennial prime year : 1984/1985.  Inciting event for this would be the Morning in America positivity.

Zoomer prime year: 2001/2002.  Inciting event is 9/11.  Their defining characteristic is being raised in the post "End of History" world and 9/11 was the start of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Archetype Names! jleagans 36 14,173 03-20-2021, 10:08 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Are early even decade cohorts usually cusps of two generations? Cocoa Puff 11 6,111 03-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Tim Randal Walker