Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disney movies by era and intended audience
I can't stress the importance of Frozen for us first-cohort Homelanders enough. I watched it on Christmas Day, 2013, when I was 8. I think that was the only movie where I ever cried, because the adrenaline during the scene where Anna was approaching death was insane. I grew to value my 3 year old sis more, loved singing more, got super into Disney, and I think it even got me very into Youtube. I'm not sure, my memory from then was blurry, but I do know for a fact that Frozen had a huge impact on me. My sister too, she got super into Frozen the following year, wanting to watch over and over and over again, which was when I found out that I hated seeing the same stuff again and again because it ruins the magic. So I loathed Frozen for a year, then loved it again.

If I recall correctly, Niel Howe works with Disney. I think it said that on the Lifecourse website. It does show how Frozen was intended for an Artist-Adaptive audience. It focuses strongly on security and family bonds, and we all know how important that is right now. Elsa ran away from her duties as Queen, and isolated herself from her kingdom. At first she loved the freedom, but the consequences of her actions were severe and put her people and loved ones in danger. Guilt was a theme in the movie, because guilt was what caused her to isolate herself from her sister and then run away from her once again. She overcame that with the power of love.

There's something big that separates Disney movies from this 4T than from the previous 4T; the villains are way more subtle. Aside from Mother Gothel from Tangled (probably the last Millennial movie because I don't remember a thing about it from Kindergarden) and Winnie The Pooh, all Walt Disney Animation Studios villains in the modern era have had twists. Wreck-It Ralph's villain was secretly King Candy. Frozen's was secretly Hans. Big Hero 6 and Zootopia also had twist villains (who were so bad and forgettable I forgot their names). Moana's main antagonist was secretly a gentle goddess who was her heart someone stole. Ralph was actually the villain in his second film. Anna and Elsa's long-dead grandfather was the antagonist of Frozen II.

These twisty villains are meant to tell kids a few things:
- No matter how friendly or harmless one may seem, if you don't know them well, they could very much be a bad person with hidden motives.
- Bad people weren't always bad. There's beauty in everyone, it's just that stuff may have happened to bad people that have made them the way they are now. Their problems should be solved with peace, kindness, and/or compromise, rather than violence.
- You could be a twist villain too. It's easy to be selfish, but that hurts others, which has terrible consequences.

Speaking of consequences, that's I feel like that's 50% of our generation's drive to do or not do anything, I don't know about the others. We always wanna know if anything is worth risking, and indulge in things with very little. I hate it when adults don't feel like explaining what punishment we get for doing something.
I'd certainly agree that Frozen is a new adaptive movie, though more for girls than for boys, based on my sons' less enthusiastic responses.

I doubt that the effect on kids is intentional. Suicide Squad is a new adaptive movie, too, and its messages are a little different.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lackadaisy - popular web franchise about prohibition era bootleggers Lemanic 1 1,662 06-06-2023, 03:27 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Movies that Capture Turnings Well JasonBlack 22 2,524 10-17-2022, 05:20 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Capitol Steps Shutting Down : End of an Era sbarrera 1 747 02-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Movies and Generations GeekyCynic 0 2,271 11-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Last Post: GeekyCynic
  Favorite movies by turning GeekyCynic 6 4,476 12-07-2017, 01:43 AM
Last Post: gabrielle