Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to Cancel At Will Employment
A link to an article that was in the In These Times publication which I feel needs to be discussed but is continually swept under the rug.  In 49 out of the 50 states a worker can fired without notice and no specific reason is needed. Montana is the lone exception, where after a certain probationary period you can only be fired for a just cause. Discussion on this is way overdue, and why can’t we move towards a just cause system nationwide.  To my knowledge at Will is not in effect anywhere outside of the US.  And no candidate for high office ever has brought this up.

Here is the link to the story:  https://inthesetimes.com/article/cancel-...employment
Good idea, and extend this to non-profits and churches too.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-28-2020, 03:06 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Good idea, and extend this to non-profits and churches too.

Any thoughts as to why no one among policymakers are even bringing this issue up? The uncertainty resulting from this can cause some days when we may wonder why we even get out of bed, as you know you can come back home jobless.
(09-20-2020, 02:53 PM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:06 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Good idea, and extend this to non-profits and churches too.

Any thoughts as to why no one among policymakers are even bringing this issue up? The uncertainty resulting from this can cause some days when we may wonder why we even get out of bed, as you know you can come back home jobless.

The initial cause was Milton Friedman.  This pint-sized Nobel-winning economist postulated that businesses have only one responsibility: to make money for their owners. That was ~1970, so this has been ongoing for 50 years.  You might argue that Taft-Hartley started the process even earlier.  In any case, the balance between the needs of society and the economy has been skewed for a very long time.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time To Put The Electoral College "On Ice" Anthony '58 4 2,013 07-27-2021, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Is it Time to Decriminalize Sex Work beechnut79 9 6,242 07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  MLK was a visionary ahead of his time beechnut79 1 2,158 02-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund