Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What caused Baby Boomers to be so paranoid?
(11-01-2016, 10:14 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 12:16 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 06:30 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(10-29-2016, 11:41 PM)disasterzone Wrote: To create all these zero tolerance rules and have kids arrested for things they got to do when young. Also were deeply into things like the Patriot Act. Why do they panic so easily over things like school shootings and terrorism?

With respect to zero tolerance rules, it isn't paranoia, it's knowledge.  Boomers know what we did when we were young, we don't want our kids doing it, and since we know what would have stopped us, we know how to stop them.  This is also why Millenial protesters end up being used as political pawns, rather than creating a self sustaining protest culture as the Boomers did in the 1960s.

It seems quite clear from the evidence, as the recent author described (don't remember who right now), that it is indeed paranoia. Crime has been low for 2 decades, and yet parents still act like it's 1984. And it wasn't even that bad then.

The present trends are indeed paranoia, but the parents involved are generally not boomers.  Zero tolerance rules are older than helicoptering, and did start under boomer parents, but had to do with control of the children, not with paranoia, at least originally.

Quote:Hillary Rodham Clinton did not think "it was a good idea to put classified information on an unsecured server." She may have let a few through because they weren't properly marked, but that's all you can say so far. Just how some of the Clinton emails MAY have gotten on Anthony Weiner's laptop is quite a mystery. Abedin doesn't know. If I were a conspiracy theorist, and it's not even that far fetched, I would suggest that the Russians put them there.

Actually the classified emails were properly marked.  Clinton now claims she didn't recognize the markings since in email they were individual letters rather than the full word.

Abedin has said she rarely used Weiner's computer, which means she did use it on occasion.  Most likely what happened was that when she logged in to her email, the email application downloaded and cached all her recent emails - most email applications do that - even though she only looked at a few of them.

That was not proper. It was supposed to be clearly marked classified at the top, as most were and apparently a few were marked "c" which meant "confidential" and maybe not "classified." That's how I heard it.

You say she opened her email on her husband's computer. That means hers and her husband's computer must have been linked. But she says she doesn't know how the emails got to her husband's computer. Still a mystery.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I'm thinking it's bcuz we're @ the get off my lawn stage of life
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
(10-29-2016, 11:41 PM)disasterzone Wrote: To create all these zero tolerance rules and have kids arrested for things they got to do when young. Also were deeply into things like the Patriot Act. Why do they panic so easily over things like school shootings and terrorism?

I wouldn't call it "paranoid" so much as it is the nature of the Idealist Generations to be moralistic reformers. They always look at their next-younger Reactive Generations with disapproval, disgust and at times even abject horror,  blaming the neglect/laxness of the Adaptive child rearing practices.  So when they move up the ladder to become the parents and the dominant force of child nurture they tighten up, reform and restructure education, child nurture and the child environment to be increasingly protective so that their precious children will not end up being anywhere like the Reactive. 
Then as they move up to wield more power on the political scene, they tend to infuse their moralistic reforms on society.  And generally they split and are polarized within their own generation on exactly what their vision of "morality" should be...until one side eventually wins out when the secular crisis is over. 

Many folks probably don't realize that before World War II, Communism was not regarded as a "anti-American" activity. In fact, many East Coast WASP elitists were card carrying Communists---and were in FDR's cabinet, staff and close advisers, including Alger Hiss. Many pointed to Soviet Stalin-led Russia as "successful." Of course Stalin's brutal regime, failures, and control tactics were well-hidden from the rest of the world!
 After World War II and the beginning of the Cold War, of course, things changed!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atlantic Monthly, 24 June 2019: The Boomers Ruined Everything pbrower2a 23 18,879 10-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Where the Boomers Led Us, Or Our Worse Presidency to Date sbarrera 31 16,272 08-01-2022, 01:13 PM
  Book: Are Baby Boomers A ‘Generation Of Sociopaths’? pbrower2a 26 16,594 07-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Boomers and their stay-at-home mothers Hintergrund 20 14,877 10-26-2019, 02:35 PM
  Boomers' reputation on the Internet sbarrera 33 22,811 10-23-2019, 07:38 PM
  Happy birthday, Boomers! pbrower2a 1 2,809 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Boomers Riding Off Into The Sunset X_4AD_84 27 26,888 03-15-2017, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Galen
Video Gavin McInnis on Baby Boomers Kinser79 65 91,921 09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  Whether Clinton or Trump, Baby Boomers will reclaim White House next year Dan '82 5 7,045 07-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Galen