Generational Theory Forum: The Fourth Turning Forum: A message board discussing generations and the Strauss Howe generational theory

Full Version: What Republicans do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(03-13-2017, 07:29 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2017, 07:23 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Is the world getting bigger, figuratively speaking?  If transportation and communication are getting faster/cheaper, and people are moving more, wouldn't it be more apt to say (as most people do) that the world is "getting smaller"?

Also, I know you denied it in the other thread, but the bit about rural Minnesota sounds once again like somebody wanting to get back at his peers from high school by helping tear down their world around them.  Not a classy move.  Wink

No, just recognizing the flaws. I'm the kind of person who can wax nostalgically about the good things about growing up in a rural area without being in denial about the bad things.

The flaws of what, being rooted in a place?  Are you equally upset at Sub-Saharan Africa for being overwhelmingly black, Japan for not taking the steps to become less Japanese?

How do you feel about gentrification?
(03-14-2017, 01:57 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Classic Xer agrees with this view by Steve King of "what it is that unites us"

King seems like a ripe target if there's a Democratic wave in 2018.
I don't think King is all that concerned about losing his seat to a snowflake who's views seem like/ come across as being very similar to your largely anti-white/anti-American views.
(03-14-2017, 06:48 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]IRS strips tax-exempt status from Richard Spencer's white nationalist nonprofit

Whoopsie!  Big Grin

Something tells me the IRS will be one of those agencies judged to be "inefficient and unnecessary" and thus merged with a more useful and productive agency, like the Department of Free Hand Outs to Billionaires...
Darn!!!! I feel so bad for the lowly sorts who make their living promoting racism and bigotry. I feel bad for similar people like you who exist on the other side too. But, I'll get over the emotional loss of both rather quickly.
(03-14-2017, 06:48 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]IRS strips tax-exempt status from Richard Spencer's white nationalist nonprofit

Whoopsie!  Big Grin

Something tells me the IRS will be one of those agencies judged to be "inefficient and unnecessary" and thus merged with a more useful and productive agency, like the Department of Free Hand Outs to Billionaires...

His group certainly is no charity.
Type faster, Odin!!  Tongue
(03-14-2017, 09:34 AM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2017, 07:29 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2017, 07:23 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Is the world getting bigger, figuratively speaking?  If transportation and communication are getting faster/cheaper, and people are moving more, wouldn't it be more apt to say (as most people do) that the world is "getting smaller"?

Also, I know you denied it in the other thread, but the bit about rural Minnesota sounds once again like somebody wanting to get back at his peers from high school by helping tear down their world around them.  Not a classy move.  Wink

No, just recognizing the flaws. I'm the kind of person who can wax nostalgically about the good things about growing up in a rural area without being in denial about the bad things.

The flaws of what, being rooted in a place?  Are you equally upset at Sub-Saharan Africa for being overwhelmingly black, Japan for not taking the steps to become less Japanese?

How do you feel about gentrification?

The world of traditional rural America has been one that has been dying my whole life, and rather than accepting it and adjusting to a changing world so many people there live in a sort of denial, thinking that they can somehow turn back the clock to the 50s, but that's impossible. The world is only going to get smaller, more connected, and more urban.
Quote:The world of traditional rural America has been one that has been dying my whole life, and rather than accepting it and adjusting to a changing world so many people there live in a sort of denial, thinking that they can somehow turn back the clock to the 50s, but that's impossible. The world is only going to get smaller, more connected, and more urban.

Because as we all know, trends all continue indefinitely.  Rolleyes 

What exactly would "adjusting to a changing world" involve?  Moving to a city, getting on Tumblr?  Is everyone who lives outside a major city a loser and/or ideologically suspect?
(03-14-2017, 05:05 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly would "adjusting to a changing world" involve?

Being willing to move to a city for work and get retraining and/or higher education rather than expecting a bunch of $50,000/yr jobs for unskilled uneducated blue collar workers will magically appear in small towns after we start a trade war with China, deport all the illegals, and cut all the environmental and safety regulations?
I contend that "adjusting to this changing world" would involve dropping the right-wing ideologies and to stop voting for Republicans in such large majorities.
(03-14-2017, 02:03 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2017, 01:57 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Classic Xer agrees with this view by Steve King of "what it is that unites us"

King seems like a ripe target if there's a Democratic wave in 2018.
I don't think King is all that concerned about losing his seat to a snowflake who's views seem like/ come across as being very similar to your largely anti-white/anti-American views.

I'll take that as a yes, despite your claim not to care about the fortunes of white supremacists.
Quote:Being willing to move to a city for work and get retraining and/or higher education

How is that working out for you so far?  Tongue

I really never got the "blue collar=unskilled" meme.  Some of them?  Sure.  But for plenty of others, those manual trades (formal or not) take at least as much skill as the average BA/BS holding office plankton or barista.
(03-14-2017, 05:48 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Being willing to move to a city for work and get retraining and/or higher education

I really never got the "blue collar=unskilled" meme.  Some of them?  Sure.  But for plenty of others, those manual trades (formal or not) take at least as much skill as the average BA/BS holding office plankton or barista.

Note that I was NOT talking about skilled blue collar folks, there is actually going to be a shortage of skilled tradespeople soon, IIRC, as more and more Boomers retire because so few Xers and Millennials have went into the trades.
But really, how is it working out for you?  Tongue
(03-14-2017, 05:43 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2017, 05:05 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly would "adjusting to a changing world" involve?

Being willing to move to a city for work and get retraining and/or higher education rather than expecting a bunch of $50,000/yr jobs for unskilled uneducated blue collar workers will magically appear in small towns after we start a trade war with China, deport all the illegals, and cut all the environmental and safety regulations?

1.  What if you own your house outright and it costs too much to move?  You can't sell 'cause nobody's moving in.
2. There's no retraining program as such in the US.
3. Does this logic apply to the denizens of the inner cities?  I'm guessing if some poor bastard moves from a poor small town, that's where their new 'hood will be now.
4. I don't think a VAT tax would cause a trade war. The US is stupid 'cause it doesn't have these legit trade barriers. Fair is far.
5. Illegals = illegal. That needs to be fixed. First secure the border, then start the path to citizenship.
6. Yes, it's stupid to delete environmental/safety regulations.
(03-14-2017, 05:50 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]

Note that I was NOT talking about skilled blue collar folks, there is actually going to be a shortage of skilled tradespeople soon, IIRC, as more and more Boomers retire because so few Xers and Millennials have went into the trades.
I know a lot of Xer's who are in the trades.
(03-15-2017, 01:06 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2017, 05:50 PM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]

I know a lot of Xer's who are in the trades.

So do I, Nomads go where the money is.
(03-14-2017, 05:52 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]But really, how is it working out for you?  Tongue

I think you know the answer to that question. Tongue
(03-14-2017, 06:13 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]1.  What if you own your house outright and it costs too much to move?  You can't sell 'cause nobody's moving in.
3. Does this logic apply to the denizens of the inner cities?  I'm guessing if some poor bastard moves from a poor small town, that's where their new 'hood will be now.

I think there needs to be government programs to deal with those issues.
(03-15-2017, 07:21 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2017, 06:13 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: [ -> ]1.  What if you own your house outright and it costs too much to move?  You can't sell 'cause nobody's moving in.

I think there needs to be government programs to deal with those issues.

Yeah cause the solution to messes caused by government programs are of course MOAR Gubment programs. Rolleyes

1.  ON issue one I can't see a governmental program to address that not being designed stupidly, and not being abused.  With cash for clunkers for example people started buying up every care five years old or older that they saw, and re-selling them to the government for the program.  In fact more cars came off used car dealerships to be compacted than were poor folks giving Sam their clunker for cash.  Probably because they needed their clunker.

Result mass shortage of starter cars for new drivers, and used cars for use as delivery vehicles.

And that doesn't even get into the joke that it was for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.  Guess no one told Obama that coal is used in making steel.

2.  I think having a government program in this is stoopid.  First off they're going to retrain for the wrong things, and chances are they're going to train for jobs that don't exist.  Look at public education, they're still training people for a factory based economy of 1950.

If there is a governmental role at all it should be on the state--or better city level.  That way the companies that are in town can tell them "We need X people with Y skill".  Amazingly companies know who they need.  One would almost think that their bottom line is effected by a lack of qualified employees.

3.  Given that settlement patterns appear to be changing poor bastards moving to the inner cities will be SOL.  The housing that they could afford is either already taken, or being gentrified out of the price range.  If anything the new gettos will be the outter suburbs.  The urban model of the US for the Past Saeculum should reverse and we'll look more like Brazil.  Instead of inner city ghettos filled with the poor surrounded by less poor and affluent suburbs, we'll see the rich, affluent and not poor in the inner cities with the destitute moved out to the burbs.

Indeed there is already a phenomenon in housing happening down here called "Drive till you qualify".
(03-15-2017, 07:17 AM)Odin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2017, 05:52 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: [ -> ]But really, how is it working out for you?  Tongue

I think you know the answer to that question. Tongue

Didn't want to rub it in, but I mean, you shouldn't throw those kind of stones...

"Going to school" alone is not the panacea it once was.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14