Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most dangerous time since the Civil War
(01-07-2018, 11:25 AM)John J. Xenakis Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 01:25 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: >   Mr Xenakis, all of these posters are Baby Boomers and what I also
>   call Libtards.  (A combination of the words liberal and retarded.)
>   They in general have no clue as to how the real world work, nor as
>   to how higher education works.  I'm not saying my knowlege of this
>   subject is the best--I payed for culinary school on the GI bill
>   and my son is going into the trades (he's not academic, so that
>   works better for him and he gets paid to learn his trade too which
>   is a plus, it is good to have a third income in the house though
>   my husband and I insist that he save his money he has picked up a
>   few of the smaller bills [trying to teach him about budgeting and
>   so-on].

>   As for persons like PBR, he is a hyperpartisan Democrat.  He would
>   have been unhappy with a potted plant as President if it had a R
>   after its name.  Me, I've been upset with both Republicans and
>   Democrats--but then again I also think that Trump is the best
>   President we've had since Reagan and possibly Eisenhower. In case
>   it is an issue I'm still registered as a Democrat, but I plan on
>   changing that soon, we'll probably have primaries in Florida and
>   the Democrats left me a while ago.  About 2008 I'd say.  I only
>   voted for Obama the second time because Romney couldn't make up
>   his mind on anything and was weird.  So Berry's second term was a
>   matter of the devil you know being superior to the devil you
>   don't.  I assume that those who are center right (should they even
>   exist) in MA might have a different opinion but I've not been in
>   New England for over a decade, and even then it was CT.

Wow, I didn't know you were female.  Shows how out of touch I am with
all my old pals at FTF.  And of course I know what a "Libtard" is, as
I get called that name (and "globalist") frequently on Breitbart.
Ironic, huh?

Congratulations on your son doing real work and earning real money,
rather than just sitting through classes about white privilege, or
relaxing in safe spaces where you get the crap beaten out of you if
you say anything nice about America.
What you don't understand Xenakis, and also the reason why you tend to get alot of flack from both the right and the left, is that nobody wants to unite around globalist democracy. Well Boomers generally do, but the younger generations don't like liberal democracy all that much. The young are against the Idea for guaranteeing europe and our asian allies and fighting north Korea only if the norks attack us first; we Xers and Millies would rather launch a preemptive war on North Korea while doing a deal with China and a similar deal with Russia that secures america and its interests but throws out the interest of Russia neighbors and China's neighbors. We hate the UN, NATO, EU, WTO, OPEC, etc. Only Boomers and silents like that framework.
(01-07-2018, 11:25 AM)John J. Xenakis Wrote: Wow, I didn't know you were female.

You probably didn't know I was female because I'm not a female. Or at least I think I'm not female *checks trousers, yep cock is still there*. Queers can get married these days. The husband and I decided after being together for over 10 years I might as well make an honest man out of him.

Quote: Shows how out of touch I am with
all my old pals at FTF. And of course I know what a "Libtard" is, as
I get called that name (and "globalist") frequently on Breitbart.
Ironic, huh?

Not really. A lot of the people who post comments on Breitbart are equally stoopid, they are just on the other side of the red/blue divide.

You may or may not be a globalist. I'll reserve comment as to that at this time. However, I would point out that human nature is intrinsically tribal and that an attempt at forming a social system encompassing all the races and peoples of the planet is utopian at best and dangerous at worst. What it certainly wouldn't be is democratic in the sense that Americans and other Anglophone peoples understand the term. In fact I think it is one of the few issues that our resident fascist (Cynic Hero) is right on, though it makes me want to scrub my skin with degreaser to say so.

Quote:Congratulations on your son doing real work and earning real money,

Yeah, he went through the light version of that in child prison--er I mean--high school. It never appealed to him. Like me he gets more out of reading for himself and making up his own mind than sitting in a room somewhere being told what to think by some guy who probably hasn't even been in the real world.

My husband, who is a teacher, often jokes that those who know do, those who don't know teach. But then again he has a fairly low opinion of his colleagues.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(01-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: > Queers can get married these days.

Wow again. Well, either way, congratulations on your marriage!
(01-07-2018, 01:39 PM)John J. Xenakis Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: >   Queers can get married these days.

Wow again.  Well, either way, congratulations on your marriage!

Yeah one of those things that sort of surprised me as to how easy it was to do.  But then again for us it is mostly a piece of paper from the state of Florida that tells us something we've known for years.  The whole being married thing, just makes doing what we already were slightly easier and makes us by law next of kin (which is important in certain circumstances).

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(01-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Yeah, he went through the light version of that in child prison--er I mean--high school.  It never appealed to him.  Like me he gets more out of reading for himself and making up his own mind than sitting in a room somewhere being told what to think by some guy who probably hasn't even been in the real world.

My husband, who is a teacher, often jokes that those who know do, those who don't know teach.  But then again he has a fairly low opinion of his colleagues.

The public school system seems more like government sponsored youth internment camps to me.  Clearly, teaching kids anything useful is not the purpose.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(01-07-2018, 11:48 AM)Cynic Hero 86 Wrote: > nobody wants to unite around globalist democracy.

(01-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: > You may or may not be a globalist. I'll reserve comment as to that
> at this time.

Words like "globalist," "isolationist," "liberal," "conservative," and
so forth don't even make sense when applied to me, or Generational
Dynamics analyses, any more than they would make sense when applied to
Einstein's theory of relativity.

I write articles based on a specific semi-mathematical methodology.
It's not anywhere near as precise as something like relatively,
but it's getting a lot better and more precise with new developments.

In particular, the theoretical development in the last five years of
generational patterns in the decades following a crisis civil war has
been a major breakthrough in Generational Dynamics. So when I write
articles about faraway places with strange sounding names, far away
over the sea, such as Syria, DRC, Burma, Cambodia, Cameroon, and so
forth, these analyses are not influenced by politics or ideology, but
by a non-ideological generational analysis.

In other words, Generational Dynamics analyses tell you what's really
happening in the real world, and they have a near 100% accuracy, while
analyses based on ideology by journalists, politicians, analysts, and
so forth, are rarely more than 50% accurate, which makes those
analyses no better than flipping a coin. The people who criticize me
are not really criticizing me -- they're actually criticizing the real
world, because it isn't doing what their ideology says it should be
doing, or what they want it to be doing in their erotic dreams. The
harsher a critic criticizes me, the more out of touch he is with the
real world.
(01-07-2018, 09:40 PM)Galen Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 01:13 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Yeah, he went through the light version of that in child prison--er I mean--high school.  It never appealed to him.  Like me he gets more out of reading for himself and making up his own mind than sitting in a room somewhere being told what to think by some guy who probably hasn't even been in the real world.

My husband, who is a teacher, often jokes that those who know do, those who don't know teach.  But then again he has a fairly low opinion of his colleagues.
The public school system seems more like government sponsored youth internment camps to me.  Clearly, teaching kids anything useful is not the purpose.
[/quote]

Criticize the public schools all that you want, but you do not want a collection of minors lacking competent adults to keep them from doing stupid and destructive things.

There's a great range of talent among teachers. The bad ones operate with either extreme permissiveness or rigid discipline, or (worse!) alternate between one or the other (See very bad parents).. The really-good ones could do something other than teach. I do not mean cashiering in a retail store.

What is the alternative? Sending kids to work in farms, factories, and mines as they used to?

Life is complex 3enough thqat the old standby of a 'solid eighth-grade education' is now far from adequate.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(01-08-2018, 11:36 AM)John J. Xenakis Wrote: Words like "globalist," "isolationist," "liberal," "conservative," and
so forth don't even make sense when applied to me, or Generational
Dynamics analyses, any more than they would make sense when applied to
Einstein's theory of relativity.

Precisely why I reserved comment. Myself those words don't seem to fit most of my political thought either. Nationalist does, but only in the context of American Nationalism which as a consequence of our founding in the Enlightenment Saeculum necessitates a strong tendency toward libertarianism.

But the question is what is liberal? What is conservative? For example I support ending the drug war, largely considered liberal. Conversely I support the right to keep and bear arms, largely considered conservative.

As for Generational Dynamics, my view is that it is as legitimate as my Mega-Saeclum theory as I have seen a roughly 500 year cycle in nearly every society that I've studied in depth. Unfortunately I've not delved into the nitty-gritties of your particular theory. That said, I've yet to see any recent development that would completely discredit it so I must conclude that at least for now it is a viable hypothesis.

Having said that, we do have people here who make political predictions based on astrology, so even if Generational Dynamics were discredited I'd still favor it over that. You know cause it is sciencey, and shit.

So far my main bones with the theory is the idea that Nomad generations have a tendency toward evil. I would argue that good and evil are present in every generation, at every time, because all humans have the capacity to be good or evil. At worst you could probably say that Nomads are the least successful with cloaking their negative tendencies in flowery language and virtue signaling (something that idealists are very successful at doing). And that every crisis must have a resulting Crisis War. The mere presence of a crisis period to pass without a Crisis War would negate that hypothesis--which the Glorious Revolution fits nicely. Conversely, if a war happens during a crisis, that war will as a matter of course be fought to the bitter end and the result will be one side completely victorious and the other utterly destroyed.

(01-08-2018, 02:17 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Criticize the public schools all that you want, but you do not want a collection of minors lacking competent adults to keep them from doing stupid and destructive things.

Minors already have competent adults to attempt to prevent them from doing stupid and destructive things (nothing is ever 100%)...these people are called parents. The role of a school should be to instill facts and information into the minds of a person, not to take on the role of the parents in society.

Quote:There's a great range of talent among teachers. The bad ones operate with either extreme permissiveness or rigid discipline, or (worse!) alternate between one or the other (See very bad parents).. The really-good ones could do something other than teach. I do not mean cashiering in a retail store.

Not true. As the spouse of a Public School teacher I can tell you that by and large bad teachers operate under the aupices of tenure and monopolistic unions dominating a public institution. The really good ones usually get syphoned off to private education, or they eventually get burned out and seek other employment.

And there are worse things a former teacher can do than cashier in a retail store that involve far less stress than dealing with the inmates of what essentially amounts to interment camps for minors.

Quote:What is the alternative? Sending kids to work in farms, factories, and mines as they used to?

I hate to break it to you but the large majority of people are not academically minded and as such they might be better served by such a thing. I would say the largest disservice the last couple of generations have done to their children is to inhibit their economic libido. Of course all of this was done in the name of progress so that evil is a-okay according to the libtarded.

Quote:Life is complex 3enough thqat the old standby of a 'solid eighth-grade education' is now far from adequate.

I've met college graduates who were for all practical purposes functionally illiterate, so an AA is the equivalent to an eighth grade education in 1920. The only thing worse than someone with great capacity not being educated, is someone with low capacity being educated beyond their means.

Those who have great capacity but are not educated can in the course of time, and under their own power, educate themselves (I did, and do; my son does and is doing just that). On the other side someone with low capacity spending a long period of time in a classroom finds themselves in the real world, with no experience to rely on and confronted with an inability to adjust from the world of the ivory tower to the world of the street. Something I understand, PBR, that you have experience with.

(01-08-2018, 02:17 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Criticize the public schools all that you want, but you do not want a collection of minors lacking competent adults to keep them from doing stupid and destructive things.

That has happened before, you call them Generation X and the nominal adults were the Baby Boom Generation.  So far the Boomers in general still aren't competent. Big Grin
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(01-09-2018, 05:54 AM)Galen Wrote:

That has happened before, you call them Generation X and the nominal adults were the Baby Boom Generation.  So far the Boomers in general still aren't competent. Big Grin

I would argue that Boomers by and large aren't adults either.

(01-09-2018, 09:37 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Unfortunately true, but why?  Many cite 1968 as the reason, and it certainly marked a huge social revolution, but so what?  I'll pick two things, and you can rebut to your hearts content:
  1. First, the (so named) Greatest Generation decided to insolate their children from potential harm, leaving the emerging Boomers naïve.  As an early Boomer, I figured that out for myself, though others have yet to get the message.  As a group, we still excelled, but not due to gravitas.  Mostly, we were at the right place at the right time (at least older Boomers were).
  2. Second, the oil crisis and the following economic meltdown we called stagflation refocused everyone on basic survival.  It's also the time when the basic social contract was broken for good.  Money flowed to the owners, and the workers stagnated.  That hasn't changed.  So the Yuppies floated up, the working class focused on just living day to day, and the process of enlightening and mentoring the next generation simply evaporated.  After Reagan declared that the "the government isn't the solution, it's the problem", the die was cast.
So there it is: the schism.  After that, everything turned into a culture issue, because economics was now fixed and final.  When that changes, a lot of the other problems will diminish or simply disappear, until the next 2T.  If it remains in place, the next 2T will be chaos.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

No kidding.  Generation X had little choice but to grow up and get competent because otherwise it didn't end well.  I can tell you from personal experience that the government sponsored youth internment camps seemed to be lying to us most of the time.

(01-09-2018, 04:06 PM)Galen Wrote:

No kidding.  Generation X had little choice but to grow up and get competent because otherwise it didn't end well.  I can tell you from personal experience that the government sponsored youth internment camps seemed to be lying to us most of the time.

The primary purpose of public education is to propagandize the younger generation (doesn't matter who that generation is).  This has been the purpose of public schools for well over a century now.  Interestingly my husband teaches history, economics and civics.  In all three courses he refuses to use the state provided textbooks.  Quite often they are wrong, inconsistant, or openly lying.

Last year my son showed me a passage in his psychology text book (a course my husband does not teach) that indicated that the Rorschach test (ink blot test) was still a legitimate tool for psychological evaluations.  The Rorshach test has not been used in standard psychological evaluations since the late 1960s as it is based on discredited theories and almost completely subjective as to the interpretation of the images used.

But then again, textbooks are picked by school boards (where they aren't selected by the state outright) based on political considerations and not as to their merits in regard to the information contained in them.

--

Good to see that Mr. Horn a boomer took the time out to blame his parent's generation for his generation's failures. As for the rending of the New Deal social contract, I say that was inevitable. Socialism is great until you run out of other people's money as the Iron Lady said.

(01-09-2018, 09:41 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Good to see that Mr. Horn a boomer took the time out to blame his parent's generation for his generation's failures.  As for the rending of the New Deal social contract, I say that was inevitable.  Socialism is great until you run out of other people's money as the Iron Lady said.

Every generation is the product of an earlier one, and the generational failures create the cycle. I assumed we were all into that theory, but maybe not. As you would expect, we Boomers vastly overcompensated for the GIs vast overcompensation, which was the byproduct of the last 4T. I'm sure this will continue into the future.

In regards to the end of the Great Prosperity, blame the Israelis or the Saudis. The 1973 Arab Oil Embargo quintupled gasoline prices overnight, and lead to massive inflation over next several years. It had nothing to do with "other people's money".
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-09-2018, 04:06 PM)Galen Wrote:

1. Generation X did go to school.

2. The schools had rules. Teaching was to rigid a career to satisfy the peace-love-dope types.  Besides, GIs were teaching K-12 as late as 1990, and by 1990, Generation X had started teaching.

Of course many Boomers did extend their childhoods into the time in which they should have abandoned such a role (when having children). Teenage parents have been infamously incompetent in parental roles, and adults maintaining teenage behavior into their late 20s  could be similarly awful. As any teacher knows, someone must take the adult role in a classroom, and that is part of the informal but implicit job description.

3. There were Boomers who acted 40 when they were teenagers.

Most Boomers took on adult roles when economic reality kicked in... if they wanted to keep participating in the consumer society or when parental support for their Voyages to the Interior came to an end.

Boomers who have endured economic hardship have been compelled to mature, even if the maturing process began with "Do you want fries with that?" But the elite Boomers of wealth and bureaucratic power, few of whom had an extended stay in the Voyage to the Interior, have been extremely competent at keeping competition from others at bay while bleeeding society of resources that they use for their extreme indulgence.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(01-10-2018, 03:21 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 09:41 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Good to see that Mr. Horn a boomer took the time out to blame his parent's generation for his generation's failures.  As for the rending of the New Deal social contract, I say that was inevitable.  Socialism is great until you run out of other people's money as the Iron Lady said.

Every generation is the product of an earlier one, and the generational failures create the cycle.  I assumed we were all into that theory, but maybe not. As you would expect, we Boomers vastly overcompensated for the GIs vast overcompensation, which was the byproduct of the last 4T.  I'm sure this will continue into the future.

In regards to the end of the Great Prosperity, blame the Israelis or the Saudis.  The 1973 Arab Oil Embargo quintupled gasoline prices overnight, and lead to massive inflation over next several years.  It had nothing to do with "other people's money".

The Chinese have threatened to quit buying American debt, which means that the cost of doing business in America will increase. Enough to offset the Trump tax cuts? Maybe -- but remember that the Trump tax cuts exist largely to enrich the economic elite.

Savings rates in America are abysmal, largely because the cost of middle-class suburban housing is so high (which is where Trump made his fortune).  Just think of what that does to any infrastructure projects should those become necessary to fend off a depression.

We still recovered from the Oil Crunch. The highest-ever real cost for gasoline was in the early 1980s, and gasoline is now cheaper in real terms than it was in the late 1960s.

(01-10-2018, 03:21 PM)David Horn Wrote:

Every generation is the product of an earlier one, and the generational failures create the cycle.  I assumed we were all into that theory, but maybe not. As you would expect, we Boomers vastly overcompensated for the GIs vast overcompensation, which was the byproduct of the last 4T.  I'm sure this will continue into the future.

In regards to the end of the Great Prosperity, blame the Israelis or the Saudis.  The 1973 Arab Oil Embargo quintupled gasoline prices overnight, and lead to massive inflation over next several years.  It had nothing to do with "other people's money".

I will not argue that each generation is the product of its parent generation.  Such is the very basis of S&H theory, Generational Dynamics and even my own theories.  What I was pointing out was that Boomers in particular take time out to lay blame at the GIs whereas in general Xers and Millies are far more likely to simply say "Boomers are fucking stupid lets do something different".  Zeds seem to be content to follow Xer leadership, but they are still mostly children; even if as my son is convinced the very oldest of them are just now turning 18.  (I'm unsure if I agree with him or not though--he could just be a cusper with a high degree of Adaptive tendencies.  1999 cohorts are tricky like that, where 2007 cohorts are clearly Adaptives.  In general I think Generation Zed started sometime around 2003-2004.)

The "Great Prosperity" was not helped by the oil shocks to be sure.  However, I see you're conviently forgetting LBJ's experiment in conducting an economy on the basis of both guns and butter during the 1960s which required the debacement of the currency twice (in 1965 with the withrawl of silver, and in 1973 with the closure of the gold window).  Both didn't happen because LBJ or Nixion got a strange bug up their ass--they were required because the US was running short of both gold and silver because everyone else could see the absurdity of these policies.

At current Saudi Arabia and most of OPEC are only passfied by keeping oil accounts in USD (just like Gulf War II was caused by Saddam Hussein wanting to price oil in Euro), but that might not always be the case.  Iran is already selling oil in gold, Rupee and RMB.  Russia is openly selling gas in Rubles or Gold taking USD as a third option only (which has essentially lifted the sanctions against them already--only the US is still maintaining them, and there import substitution is addressing the problem).  I can't really blame the Europeans either, they have a colder climate and in winter the heat being on is quite nice.

That being said, I see you're ignoring the fact that baring inflating the currency, the state only can obtain money to provide social services (including war) at the expense of the private sector.  Hence why the Trump Tax Reform spells disaster for the Dims come poll time this year--and that is before we even address their baked in weaknesses and the chaos that their party is in.

After all it took the entire lamestream media, focusing on a special election in Alabama to get a Dim in, and he managed to just squeak in.  The whole House and a Third of the Senate are up in the Mid-terms.  Also the national polls are skewed.  State by state polls are far more accurate.

(01-10-2018, 04:11 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: 1. Generation X did go to school.

Yes, as has every generation since the GIs. Irrelevant to his point.

Quote:2. The schools had rules. Teaching was to rigid a career to satisfy the peace-love-dope types.

Only partially true. A surprisingly large number of my teachers were former hippies--which probably goes a long way to explain my hatred of hippies.

Quote:  Besides, GIs were teaching K-12 as late as 1990, and by 1990, Generation X had started teaching.

GIs were teaching later than that. My Junior year of High School was 1995-1996. My English Teacher that year, whose name is unimportant, was a 1920 cohort. Though she retired at the end of the year. I must admit that she reluctantly admitted that she preferred my generation in comparison to the previous one as we by that time had largely repudiated the so-called counter-culture.

Quote:Of course many Boomers did extend their childhoods into the time in which they should have abandoned such a role (when having children).

Or their 60s when they thankfully do not have children.

Quote:Teenage parents have been infamously incompetent in parental roles, and adults maintaining teenage behavior into their late 20s  could be similarly awful. As any teacher knows, someone must take the adult role in a classroom, and that is part of the informal but implicit job description.

True but this does not address the reasons why Boomers as a general rule are exceptionally incompetent in parental roles. I don't think anyone in their right mind can lay the blame for this at the GIs--though I'm sure there are many Boomers here who will try.

Quote:3. There were Boomers who acted 40 when they were teenagers.

So fucking what. There are always outliers to the main body of the group. In the main Boomers act and have acted like they were teenagers far longer than is normally acceptable. Case in point, I often act older than my own mother. She may have 23 years on me, but she still acts far more childlike than I did when I was a child. But that could be that old "Old Soul" acting up. Still not sure if there is any validity to that or if the person who told me that was making shit up on the fly. I lean toward the latter though.

Quote:Most Boomers took on adult roles when economic reality kicked in... if they wanted to keep participating in the consumer society or when parental support for their Voyages to the Interior came to an end.

This is true only of the working classes and the petty-bourgeoisie. The Boomer bourgeoisie still goes on "voyages to the interior" from time to time, and do so when the time for that is long past. Those like Eric the Ignoramus never returned from their voyage, I'm afraid.

Quote:Boomers who have endured economic hardship have been compelled to mature, even if the maturing process began with "Do you want fries with that?"

There are worse things to do with one's life than working at a fast food establishment. For example one could whine about their parents until the day they died and then grasp at the next convenient excuse for personal failure that came along.

Quote:But the elite Boomers of wealth and bureaucratic power, few of whom had an extended stay in the Voyage to the Interior, have been extremely competent at keeping competition from others at bay while bleeeding society of resources that they use for their extreme indulgence.

By and large Boomers with wealth have wealth because they didn't spend extended times on their voyages into the interior. They spent those years instead making money--which is a noble pursuit (even if I do sometimes wish those boomers would buy their hair dye and skin bronze-er at some place other than dollar general--but lately it seems that that boomer has fired his old makeup person, thank whatever gods that might exist). Those with bureaucratic power sought elected offices over voyages into the interior. Both are at the extreme end of competency for the generation. Most boomers are not nearly that competent.

(01-11-2018, 04:12 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 04:11 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: 2. The schools had rules. Teaching was to rigid a career to satisfy the peace-love-dope types.

Only partially true.  A surprisingly large number of my teachers were former hippies--which probably goes a long way to explain my hatred of hippies.

I encountered my share of former hippies as teachers and they weren't very good at it.  The older teachers were tended to be better unless they had gotten to the point where they were waiting for the pension check.