Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gen Z Name: iGen
I don't really see "Homeland" or "New Adaptive" sticking as the official name for the next Artist generation.  Best I've heard it called is "iGen", but what do y'all think?
I like the idea, but it should be expanded to iPhone Babies. The Silents are also known as Radio Babies, so we have an analogy.
(11-08-2018, 04:25 PM)jleagans Wrote: I don't really see "Homeland" or "New Adaptive" sticking as the official name for the next Artist generation.  Best I've heard it called is "iGen", but what do y'all think?

"iGen" suggests a consumer product that might become less prominent over time. Would you name the GI Generation the "Victrola" Generation? That is the technological equivalent -- the early phonographs -- for GIs.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

In the past, names were usually given after they reached young adulthood and their behavior prompted the name. Except for Boomers who were named after their demographic traits; I don't know when that name was coined.

I found this site which explains how the three generations prominent today got their names, and when. By Strauss and Howe dating, the oldest baby boomer was already 20 years old when his/her generation got its name.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/542159/ho...illennials

I know the Silent Generation got its name because of how quiet and conforming young adults were in the 1950s, and the Lost Generation got its name because of their dissolute behavior in the 20s. The GIs are just the World War II generation of soldier-fighting age. Tom Hanks called them the Greatest Generation much later in Saving Private Ryan, I believe, because of their heroism in fighting the war.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Generations as Howe and Strauss identified them from the newest to the earliest:

Homeland -- probably associated with "Homeland Security", which as an  organizational name sounds fitting for a secret police. God help us if it turns out to be that. I hope that that division of government gets disbanded before it becomes a tool of those who would enforce some political orthodoxy.

Millennial -- children growing up around the time of the change of millennia.

Thirteenth -- the thirteenth generation (beginning with the Awakening generation born in the early 18th century) to know the United States of America.

Boom -- so-called by others, associated largely with the post-WWII baby boom.

Silent -- named by others, referring of course to their conformity and obedience.

GI -- the bulk of heroic WWII soldiers. GI stood for "Government Issue", referring to military uniforms.

Lost -- named half-affectionately, half-critically, by Gertrude Stein about often-rootless, often-confused young adults much more mobile than was really good for them.

Missionary -- for their heavy participation in missionary efforts

Progressive -- midlife adults of the Progressive Era who chose a middle course who preferred incremental change over either revolution or stasis.

Gilded -- intellectually-superficial who 'worshiped the Golden Calf' of capitalist gain from the Gold Rush to pioneering Big Business

Transcendental -- self-applied to a generation that thought outside the box of economic and religious orthodoxy.

Compromise -- applied to political tendencies to resolve spiraling divisions, as on slavery.

Republicans -- people who defined the new American union as a republic (Howe and Strauss)

Liberty -- the people who brandished the word liberty about as an ideal (H and S)

Awakening -- people associated with the Great Awakening in religion that transferred to a political awakening (H and S)

Enlightenment -- sophisticated, civilized people like J S Bach and Voltaire who created a complex world of thought and culture (H and S),

Glorious -- soldiers of the Glorious Revolution who built big and established powerful institutions (H and S)

Cavalier -- cynical, materialistic adults who got too much of the Puritan Awakening (H and S)

Puritan -- a wave of religious dissidents who founded the New England colonies with the intent of establishing a Godly paradise (H and S)

Earlier generations are better defined and named after the book Generations was published.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Homeland is a relic of S and H thinking 9/11 would be more defining.

Pretty sure silent generation was named by Nixon and was his political campaign tactic in 1968.

I can agree with igen being limited by its name being related to a product, but the "i" seems likely to hold up over time as related to mobile technology and social media in its own right.

Any other suggestions then? Homeland and new adaptive just make no sense.
https://www.npr.org/2014/10/06/349316543...e-use-them

^^ This npr article is arguing that igen is looking likely to be the name. I would add that the "i" also captures the social media element of this generation that HAS to be captured in the name.
How is the use of social media distinguishing Gen Z from Millennials? Especially in S&H terms when Gen Z starts at about 2003, not 1997.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-11-2018, 12:45 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: In the past, names were usually given after they reached young adulthood and their behavior prompted the name. Except for Boomers who were named after their demographic traits; I don't know when that name was coined.

I found this site which explains how the three generations prominent today got their names, and when. By Strauss and Howe dating, the oldest baby boomer was already 20 years old when his/her generation got its name.

I know the Silent Generation got its name because of how quiet and conforming young adults were in the 1950s, and the Lost Generation got its name because of their dissolute behavior in the 20s. The GIs are just the World War II generation of soldier-fighting age. Tom Hanks called them the Greatest Generation much later in Saving Private Ryan, I believe, because of their heroism in fighting the war.

-- actually Eric, it was Tom Brokaw who named the Greatest Generation, not Tom Hanks :

I remember reading something about Homies wanting to be called Founders, altho none of them interviewed said what they had found & they probably don't know what either. My guess (operative word) is that the Homies will get their collective generation name when they become adults like most of the other generations did, Boomers & Millies being the 2 exceptions. I can remember being called a Boomer when l was growing up & l'll bet other Boomers do too. As 4 Millies, l wonder if S&H had something 2 do with that. Millies were also called Gen Y (coming after Gen X) but that gave way 2 Millenials, which is what S&H were calling them
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
The distinguishing factor is that social media is something that developed over the course of my life, while to igen it has always been there. Igen grew up with mobile phones being in common use across the board from year 1, and by the time they could use one social media was fully around. I'm a 1985 Millennial and I still remember car phones and no internet. Difference may seem small but I do believe it is a legitimately different perspective.
(11-15-2018, 03:58 PM)Marypoza Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 12:45 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: In the past, names were usually given after they reached young adulthood and their behavior prompted the name. Except for Boomers who were named after their demographic traits; I don't know when that name was coined.

-- actually Eric, it was Tom Brokaw who named the Greatest Generation, not Tom Hanks :

Yes that's probably right. I'm sure Tom helped spread it around.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-10-2018, 07:39 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: I like the idea, but it should be expanded to iPhone Babies. The Silents are also known as Radio Babies, so we have an analogy.

Thank goodness Baby Boomers was shortened to Boomers. No-one likes to be called babies the rest of their lives.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-15-2018, 07:51 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 07:39 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: I like the idea, but it should be expanded to iPhone Babies. The Silents are also known as Radio Babies, so we have an analogy.

Thank goodness Baby Boomers was shortened to Boomers. No-one likes to be called babies the rest of their lives.

You're right Smile I'm starting to use "iPhone generation". And the next prophets are, tentatively, neo-Missionaries.
(11-16-2018, 09:56 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 07:51 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

You're right Smile I'm starting to use "iPhone generation". And the next prophets are, tentatively, neo-Missionaries.

-- yikes!! I'm hoping society will be done with religion by then
Nah religions going to come back strong, its at a low ebb in America only thing it can do is have a resurgence.
(11-16-2018, 12:51 PM)jleagans Wrote: Nah religions going to come back strong, its at a low ebb in America only thing it can do is have a resurgence.

Iron Age religions will probably remain popular among the uneducated, while the brainy types among the neo-Missionaries can give rise to space-oriented religious weirdness. Like worship of a "Star Maker" or "Spirit of the Cosmos" and revelations received by minds augmented by biotech. The Missionaries were critical of Gilded hedonism, and the neo-Missionaries might be equally critical of dionysian culture left from the millennial cycle.
(11-16-2018, 01:18 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 12:51 PM)jleagans Wrote: Nah religions going to come back strong, its at a low ebb in America only thing it can do is have a resurgence.

Iron Age religions will probably remain popular among the uneducated, while the brainy types among the neo-Missionaries can give rise to space-oriented religious weirdness. Like worship of a "Star Maker" or "Spirit of the Cosmos" and revelations received by minds augmented by biotech. The Missionaries were critical of Gilded hedonism, and the neo-Missionaries might be equally critical of dionysian culture left from the millennial cycle.

-- ok, how bout calling them neoTranscenentals then? I have nothing against spirituality & spiritual stuff. lts religion l don't care for, telling ppl to believe this nonsense & do that evil thing, discriminating against ppl, perpetrating & perptuating wars, etc.. l don't have a problem with Spiritual Beings but l do wish religions would just go away
I'm for waiting until they reach young adulthood and seeing what sticks. Give them at least a little chance to develop their own identity.
(11-16-2018, 01:18 PM)Bill the Piper Wrote:

Millennials are not furthering the dionysian trends of the Awakening, including spirituality. Anything valuable and genuinely dionysian from the Awakening has been pretty much been wiped out already. But since humans need these things, they will come back. Looking at the cosmic cycles, I doubt the alpha-wave prophets will be quite so apollonian as you say. There may indeed be some false hedonism from the next 1T (and indeed the current 4T) for them to react to. The condition of pop culture is depraved to the max, but that was not Awakening culture, even if that is its distorted and empty legacy, thanks to the more-recent repression and commercialization process. Another belle epoque like the 1880s is possible too in the next 1T and early 2T, which could release more-refined pleasure seeking.

You'll probably know more likely than I how these neo-missionaries turn out. But I think a return to nature is more likely, and a rebellion against virtual high-tech pseudo-reality. It seems clear that, this time, the next Awakening will fulfill the aims of the last one, in a more-lasting way, and in ways that change society from the ground up-literally.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-15-2018, 12:30 PM)jleagans Wrote: Homeland is a relic of S and H thinking 9/11 would be more defining.  

Pretty sure silent generation was named by Nixon and was his political campaign tactic in 1968.

I can agree with igen being limited by its name being related to a product, but the "i" seems likely to hold up over time as related to mobile technology and social media in its own right.

Any other suggestions then?  Homeland and new adaptive just make no sense.

The Silent Generation was named in the 1950s. Nixon's Silent Majority referred to those who didn't protest in the sixties, regardless of generation. By then, many Silents were no longer so silent, but led social movements.

I agree with Gabrielle that the name that will stick for GenZ will come along when they are young adults and teens. The letters may stick too as alternative generic names. I already propose Alpha-Wave Pioneers or Green Pioneers for the next prophets.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gen Z Name Finally Decided: jleagans 10 5,819 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM
Last Post: RadianMay
  Problem with Gen Z monikers Ghost 6 4,371 06-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Last Post: David Horn