Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is more religious? The Silent Generation or the Boomer Generation?
The early to mid Silent generation seems to be the most religious to me in a by the book liturgical sense and a spiritual sense too. I'm not sure why Boomers are considered more religious than the Silents. The religious Silents also seem more what some call fanatical about it than the religious Boomers. 
(11-13-2019, 12:29 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: The early to mid Silent generation seems to be the most religious to me in a by the book liturgical sense and a spiritual sense too. I'm not sure why Boomers are considered more religious than the Silents. The religious Silents also seem more what some call fanatical about it than the religious Boomers. 

The Silents are source of a lot of famous fundamentalist preachers in the moral majority era, notably Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Also of notorious cult leaders Jim Jones and Marshall Applewhite who ordered mass suicides, born within days of each other. Boomers however are more spiritual, being the leaders of the New Age Movement and pagan revivals. They also had leaders among the Silents, though. The hippies were very spiritual, but not religious. In the boomer generation the categories of spiritual but not religious and cultural creatives became major demographic factors. There are also boomer fanatics like David Koresh. I suppose it's typical that prosperity gospel leader Joel Osteen is from Generation X. His is a much more pragmatic approach to religion.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-13-2019, 12:29 AM)AspieMillennial Wrote: The early to mid Silent generation seems to be the most religious to me in a by the book liturgical sense and a spiritual sense too. I'm not sure why Boomers are considered more religious than the Silents. The religious Silents also seem more what some call fanatical about it than the religious Boomers. 

Out of curiosity, where did you get the information that Boomers are more religious than Silents?
(11-13-2019, 01:06 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

The Silents are source of a lot of famous fundamentalist preachers in the moral majority era, notably Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Also of notorious cult leaders Jim Jones and Marshall Applewhite who ordered mass suicides, born within days of each other. Boomers however are more spiritual, being the leaders of the New Age Movement and pagan revivals. They also had leaders among the Silents, though. The hippies were very spiritual, but not religious. In the boomer generation the categories of spiritual but not religious and cultural creatives became major demographic factors. There are also boomer fanatics like David Koresh. I suppose it's typical that prosperity gospel leader Joel Osteen is from Generation X. His is a much more pragmatic approach to religion.
I think that Joseph Kibwetere, another cult leader who ordered mass suicides, was also a Silent (but he was born in 1932 instead of 1931).
(11-13-2019, 09:23 PM)Ghost Wrote:

I think that Joseph Kibwetere, another cult leader who ordered mass suicides, was also a Silent (but he was born in 1932 instead of 1931).

From Uganda.

Joseph Kibweteere was one of the leaders of the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God, a group that splintered from the Roman Catholic Church in Uganda and became infamous after 778 of its members were found dead. Wikipedia
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-15-2019, 02:27 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 09:23 PM)Ghost Wrote:

From Uganda.

Joseph Kibweteere was one of the leaders of the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God, a group that splintered from the Roman Catholic Church in Uganda and became infamous after 778 of its members were found dead. Wikipedia

I've even heard numbers as high as 924.

https://www.deseret.com/2000/3/31/195562...d-climbing

https://murderpedia.org/male.K/k/kibweteere.htm

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/how-...irgin-mary
(11-13-2019, 12:48 AM)taramarie Wrote:

Generational cohort by religious percentage

These charts show an overall lessening of the importance of religion with each new generation. There is also a shift in the makeup of different religious groups, presumably from more Muslim and Asian immigration. 

What I think is true about the Boomers which makes them scary is their desire to bring religion into politics. With the generations before them it was more just a norm of everyday life. You went to church. Everybody did. But for Boomers and the generations younger than them who follow Boomer religious leaders, it's about fighting the Culture War.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages

One interesting thing about the data you shared is that the G.I. Generation makes up a smaller percentage in certain aspects than Silents or Baby Boomers, which could mean that religiosity also plays a role in the cycle. Somewhat surprising that G.I.s had less belief in God, absolute standards of right and wrong, belief in Heaven or Hell, and slightly less frequency of participation in prayer.

Maybe this means that in the years ahead, the two generations after Millennials will bring another surge in religious belief, followed by another decline in subsequent generations.
What's a "Younger Millennial" and an "Older Millennial"?
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(01-13-2020, 11:16 AM)ResidentArtist Wrote:

One interesting thing about the data you shared is that the G.I. Generation makes up a smaller percentage in certain aspects than Silents or Baby Boomers, which could mean that religiosity also plays a role in the cycle. Somewhat surprising that G.I.s had less belief in God, absolute standards of right and wrong, belief in Heaven or Hell, and slightly less frequency of participation in prayer.

Maybe this means that in the years ahead, the two generations after Millennials will bring another surge in religious belief, followed by another decline in subsequent generations.

But they also pray daily more than the Boomers, attend church much more than the Boomers, and see religion as important much more than the Boomers. I think for the GI Generation the people into religion were very devoted and the people out of religion were very distant towards anything religious. Boomers seem to believe slightly more but be less devoted to the religion or to following it. More of them also meditate than any other generation and also more of them are into Biblical literalism.

So I think Millennials will split off into 2 camps in the 1T, people extremely devoted to their religion and make it their lives and people who are anti religious. This will grow religion because people will see fewer hypocrites in the church. However the popularity of religion will get less of a core of devoted followers causing more hypocrisy then causing more atheists again. It's a cycle. I think with Civics they take whatever they believe to the logical conclusions so when they are religious they are highly devoted to it and take it literally when they are not religious they are totally distanced from it and very hostile to it like Madalyn Murray O' Hair.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,201 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,335 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,848 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,124 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,216 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,278 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,265 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,476 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,087 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  Anti-generation-ers jleagans 3 2,597 12-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Cocoa_Puff