Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike
(04-13-2021, 05:46 PM)Einzige Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 02:24 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 11:35 PM)Einzige Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 09:54 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 09:43 AM)David Horn Wrote: $15 is low today and far outdated by the time it finally arrives. $11 is an insult. If the minimum had kept pace since 1973, it would be $20+. I do agree that the laser focus on culture issues has been much of the problem. It seems to be that advancement on trend line A must be offset by stagnation on trend line B.  It’s not right, but it seems to be the case.  And no, I don’t have a solution for that.
I think you should go big and impose 60$. You won't have much of an economy left but whatever, that's beside the point.

The fact of the matter is that wage labor and money are almost entirely arbitrary. Why do cooks make ten an hour? Why not fifty, or fifteen, or five hundred? If adjusted radically upwards l, would not everything else adjust itself according to the "natural laws of the market" given time? 

But this isn't an argument for increasing the minimum wage. It's an argument for the abolition of wage labor.
True, it's nothing more than an alternative means that's being used by the left to achieve the same result. I'll give you credit, you don't mince words and you're more honorable and a bit smarter than the typical Democratic minded Progressive these days.  So, what are you going to be doing during the cultural war that's coming soon. Are you going to be living like a renegade Indian while we're settling our obvious differences  with the Democratic party? You're right, the only thing the Democrats and us have in common is that we are both directly related to capitalism, currently related to the same country  and we are humans. The Democrats think they're God like but in reality, they're just humans among humans.

There's th Left-Wing Of Capital, i.e. Democrats (even very liberal ones like Sanders etc.), and the Revolutionary Left. And the two want entirely different things, even if a lot of the rhetoric sounds superficially similar.

I don't want a minimum wage hike, not necessarily because I am concerned with prices (there is very little evidence that controlled minimum wage increases correlate to price inflation) but because it reinforces wage labor, which is a social relationship with a definite history (e.g. most Egyptians, Roman's etc. did not work for wages as we understand them except when they worked for the State in various capacities) and therefore a definite end.

Money, again, is illusory. This is why e.g. I can go to a place like Laos or Vietnam, rent a very modest (<100k) American house out here while I'm gone, and live an upper middle class life - why will $700 a month get me a hovel in the U.S. and a normal middle class life (except for some high end consumer electronics or cars, neither of which I care about) in Hanoi? I can literally pay for all my needs and a good few wants from one low end rental property here, whereas I'd need to own dozens in Vietnam or Indinwsia to finance a life here. Why is money valued differently in different places if it expresses timeless universals? Is being in Vietnam really that much worse than being in America? No, almost certainly not, unless you are bourgeois and have business interests here.

Because money is not real. It is a social abstraction. You'd probably agree to the extent that fiat money is a thing - to which I would remind you that money was backed by all kinds of shit before the implementation of the gold standard in the nineteenth century.

The Democrats etc. are not about to abolish it. They just want the illusion of money to appear a little more pleasant.
I don't really care if the Democrats continue slitting there own throats and continue increasing poverty levels and creating more issues for themselves. I've already written them off along with a group of Republicans. Fuck them. I think America should break with DC, establish a new American capitol and basically leave them behind to deal with all the shit that they don't want to do anything about that might upset someone with money they need for a campaign or some ditz living in Hollywood. I'm sure Vietnam would be fine for someone like you. You're already a communist believer and you'd prefer to live in a communist country. It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot if the Vietnam government approves of you and allows you to enter their country.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike - by Classic-Xer - 04-14-2021, 01:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dow Falls as Biden Reportedly Mulls Tax Hike on Rich chairb 7 2,080 10-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Higher minimum wage will kill entry-level jobs and economic growth nebraska 44 13,557 04-30-2021, 02:05 AM
Last Post: DettoLalo
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,907 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 778 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  GOP governor pushes Texas’ first sales tax hike in 30 years random3 10 2,918 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: March3
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,103 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  U.S. Capitol insurrection was a ‘hoax,’ Michigan Senate leader says in video random3 45 9,549 02-16-2021, 06:50 AM
Last Post: random3
  Biden push to raise minimum wage to $15 would kill 1.4 million jobs: CBO random3 6 1,628 02-12-2021, 07:34 PM
  Senate Passes Constitutional Ban On Legal Marijuana random3 0 534 02-09-2021, 06:57 PM
  House of Delegates, Senate panel vote to ban electronic 'skill' games Luza 0 617 02-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Luza