Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political compass for the21st century
The emergence of Trumpism is probably a main reason you propose your 5-sided chart as "21st century." I would look on Trumpism more as a temporary spasm that already existed and is fully accounted for on the old chart. People all have a different combo of views. Economic nationalism is supported by many liberals and communists, and Trump supports this with his tariff war. Except for this, he is a free-market libertarian to an extreme degree, and is also promoting and boosting social conservatism with attitudes that border on racism and certainly preferences for white rich people in society and in allowing who comes into the USA. And he is supporting religious conservatism as well, and religious conservatives are his biggest supporters. There is little difference between national and religious conservatism, as I see it. Most conservative tyrants have embraced both. It all comes under the heading of "my group is better than yours" and should be protected from those other groups. Trump belongs on the far right, although not all the way to the edge because of his economic nationalism.

The polarity between statism and anarchy is most useful in distinguishing between Reagan or Falwell and people like Pinochet and other despots who kill people. The closer you are to the bottom, the more you use the state to exert absolute power. The tyrannical cultural conservatives like Khomeini and Putin are closer to Hitler at the extreme lower right-- although there is more right-left distinction between Hitler and Stalin than appears on your chart. Robespierre would be more toward the bottom left too, and further down would be the communist dictators of recent times. I can't see being at the extreme per se as being state-sponsored or state-backed killers. Only the edge near the bottom. Admittedly, Trump might like to be there too; we can't be sure. But his brutal approach to immigrants is telling. Extremists all around the circle may be more likely to be violent radicals or revolutionaries, though. But they would likely be smashing the state, at least maybe until they take power themselves. Then they might move down the polarity.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political compass for the21st century - by Eric the Green - 09-21-2018, 11:27 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controversial Political Opinions JasonBlack 181 33,859 12-20-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  How Birth Year Influences Political Views Dan '82 12 15,035 10-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Comprehensive Political Cycle Theory jleagans 15 10,345 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Marypoza
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,531 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster